Mounting license plates?

SheltieJL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I have a 2018 JL Sport S with the stock bumpers. My license plates are bent and I have new plates on the way. When I mount the new plates I would like to mount them in a rigid frame to help keep them from getting bent, but I may need to reposition the rear plate to make room for the frame. Are the plates just screwed right into the bumpers? Is drilling a pilot hole necessary?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have a 2018 JL Sport S with the stock bumpers. My license plates are bent and I have new plates on the way. When I mount the new plates I would like to mount them in a rigid frame to help keep them from getting bent, but I may need to reposition the rear plate to make room for the frame. Are the plates just screwed right into the bumpers? Is drilling a pilot hole necessary?
There's going to be a few holes in the plastic bumper when you pull your plate. I think most dealer use lag screws or bolts. They drill right into the plastic bumpers.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Are the plates just screwed right into the bumpers? Is drilling a pilot hole necessary?
There are dimples in the plastic bumpers where the plates get screwed in. My dealer used self tapping license plate screws.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the screws (2 of them) are screwed in to the plastic bumper . just dont over tighten the screws because you well stripe the screw hole. then you will be screwed and will be hunting for some bigger screws.

OP
OP
SheltieJL

SheltieJL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Thanks everybody!
Sponsored