Sponsored

Mounting ARB Air Compressor

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
Forgive my ignorance, but in regards to the American Adventure Labs tub mount w/ battery (PC1100): If I have the ARB CKMTP12, can I hook it up to the battery right next to it? In my mind, it should work, but I have little to no electrical knowledge.
Of course you can, its just a 12v battery with a positive and negative terminal.
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I ended up mounting mine under the drivers seat with the ARB mount. I ran the main power and ground cables along the center console and then up and out through the plug right near the brake booster. Grounded to the drivers side ground bolt right near the brake booster and then ran the hot wires to the battery along the cowl. I wired the switch to the ignition wire on the door harness. Worked pretty well. Drivers side is a bit easier to bolt down the box as you can drill the hole for the front mount without having to worry about hitting the gas tank. It is also accessible from underneath so you can tighten it without having to stick a wrench through the drain plug as you do on the passenger side.

While I was under there I placed some of the Kilmat down where the carpet was cut out. Not sure if it was this or something else, but there were a couple of plugs that hit the compressor box when the seat was all the way down. Not sure why as I put the Kilmat down around the mounting bolt locations for the seats so everything should have been raised up to the same height. If I just adjusted up one notch it was fine. I like the seat all the way down and was able to move the plugs under the seat over just a bit to keep them from hitting. It is tight though. In hindsight, I probably could have pushed the box up a half of an inch but the front bar would have had to be bent a bit as it did not lay flat if you push it forward much do the transmission hump.

It was more work to run the wires and extend the positive cables, but I am glad I did it. Rarely does anyone sit behind me so there will not be any noticeable leg room loss. My feet would hit it if I was sitting in the back. The other thing is that the compressor sits right behind the air vent, which will be great for helping to keep the compressors cool, but will definitely hamper the flow of air from getting to the back seat.

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just went through all 44 pages and I’ve narrowed it down to an underseat mount. Don’t like the idea of underhood, esp where I live and don’t want to give us cargo space in the back.

im really not thrilled about cutting the air vent for the arb kit. For anyone that’s done this, has it impacted heating/cooling in the cabin?

how much space is lost using the innovative mount? Will an Adult need to turn their feet in order to sit comfortably?

In either solution - I plan to wire it to an aux switch and I would like to install the air chuck in the fuel door. This way I don’t need my door/hood/trunk open while airing up. Will I be able to do this? I have a feeling finding a long enough line might be an issue.

Also - is there an air inflator on the market that I can lock on the valve stem, set it to my desired psi and walk away while it’s filling up?

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I just went through all 44 pages and I’ve narrowed it down to an underseat mount. Don’t like the idea of underhood, esp where I live and don’t want to give us cargo space in the back.

im really not thrilled about cutting the air vent for the arb kit. For anyone that’s done this, has it impacted heating/cooling in the cabin?

how much space is lost using the innovative mount? Will an Adult need to turn their feet in order to sit comfortably?

In either solution - I plan to wire it to an aux switch and I would like to install the air chuck in the fuel door. This way I don’t need my door/hood/trunk open while airing up. Will I be able to do this? I have a feeling finding a long enough line might be an issue.

Also - is there an air inflator on the market that I can lock on the valve stem, set it to my desired psi and walk away while it’s filling up?

I was just looking at this fuel door air fitting kit from Next Venture but you would still need the air line.

https://nextventuremotorsports.com/...rd-air-oba/products/jl-hidden-air-fitting-kit

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I haven't gotten any complaints. In all honesty, I figure most people wear shoes when riding in a vehicle. As such, you don't really feel the warm/cool air blowing directly on you via the foot vent anyway. It's more just sending air toward the rear of the vehicle, which it still does. I wouldn't worry about it. Assuming you saw my picture earlier in this thread where I grafted my diffuser onto the shortened vent tube?

While it's good to use the braided line for a leader coming off the compressor (to dissipate heat), you can likely get away with using air brake tubing after that. Can be bought any length and cut to any length.

I'd recommend the Haltec 5265 clip-on air chucks myself. They use a sliding sleeve to clip on all sides of the valve stem instead of just a tooth biting one side like the old school ones.

As for the walk-away feature. I've set up my last two on-board air systems in an attempt to do this. If you plumb a regulator in-line between the compressor and the air chuck, you can in theory set the regulator to your desired pressure and it will stop filling your tires when that pressure is reached. In actuality, it works, but not perfectly. Regulators work by balancing air on either side of a diaphragm. Off road tires have a lot of volume and as they start getting close to the set pressure, they start filling very slowly. How patient are you? Also, temperature induced air pressure changes have an effect on dialing in the correct pressure. Compressed air comes out hot and cools as it enters your tires. This causes some inaccuracy so far as the setting goes.

Best bet in my opinion is to set the regulator a bit high, say 40 psi if you're aiming for 35psi. This will keep you from significantly overfilling. When you hear the airflow slowing down, check pressure and bleed off any excess pressure if needed. Way faster than waiting for the whole system to cool and equalize at your exact pressure setting.

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
Should be available sometime next week! I'm finishing up hardware packs, instructions and applying the heat shield this week
I watched the install video from your site, and think this is a pretty good solution. The only concern I would see, is half the mount is bolted to a part of the engine, and the other half is bolted to the body. This would cause body damage under high engine torque.

jsmartin14

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD delivered 06-16-2020
I run mine under the passenger seat. I did not cut the air channel back as far as they recommend since I do not have the small tank for lockers. I run my engine while using the compressor and run my AC on high and in floor mode to run cool air over the compressor. I have filled up my tires and two other Jeeps and had no issues with the compressor overheating. Based on all the previous threads on engine compartment mounting I chose the current location. I was concerned mostly about heat, but also dust and grime in the engine compartment.

How much did you end up cutting the air vent? The instructions say to cut back about 7.75 inches, but like you, I'm not using installing the small tank. Do you remember how much you cut off?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

How much did you end up cutting the air vent? The instructions say to cut back about 7.75 inches, but like you, I'm not using installing the small tank. Do you remember how much you cut off?
I ended up cutting it back about 7” and then trimming the part I cut off and reattaching it with black duct tape. That way I kept the wide spread piece and was able to customize the length.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I just went and felt the overlap between the carpet that covers the vent and the vent is approximately behind the edge 1.5"-2". I set the compressor in the bracket down and removed the minimum I had to from the vent. I run the AC on floor mode when I run the compressor to help reduce any heat concerns.

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
Where do I start... Trying to install my ARB twin with the ARB under seat mount bracket. The current issue I'm having is that the fitting coming out of the compressor is hitting the floor of the jeep, not allowing the mounting points to contact the floor. I do have the manifold cap rotated as far to the left as far as possible. I am using the ARB Adaptor "ARB0740101" mounted to the compressor and the ARB Elbow. "ARB0740104" I did call ARB and they suggested either grinding away at the floor of my jeep or placing some kind of spacer order the legs.

Has anyone else had this sort of issue? I'm installing under the passenger seat, was thinking to try the drivers side but I don't see how that would solve my problem!

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Where do I start... Trying to install my ARB twin with the ARB under seat mount bracket. The current issue I'm having is that the fitting coming out of the compressor is hitting the floor of the jeep, not allowing the mounting points to contact the floor. I do have the manifold cap rotated as far to the left as far as possible. I am using the ARB Adaptor "ARB0740101" mounted to the compressor and the ARB Elbow. "ARB0740104" I did call ARB and they suggested either grinding away at the floor of my jeep or placing some kind of spacer order the legs.

Has anyone else had this sort of issue? I'm installing under the passenger seat, was thinking to try the drivers side but I don't see how that would solve my problem!
That makes no sense, can you provide a picture? If you followed the install instructions and rotated the manifold cap correctly, the elbow should be pointing upward rather than toward the floor of your Jeep. It's a little confusing because the pictures in the instructions show it pointing down, but that's only because you work on the compressor with the bracket assembly laying on it's back. Once you flip it over into it's proper mounting position, there shouldn't be any interference issues.

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
That makes no sense, can you provide a picture? If you followed the install instructions and rotated the manifold cap correctly, the elbow should be pointing upward rather than toward the floor of your Jeep. It's a little confusing because the pictures in the instructions show it pointing down, but that's only because you work on the compressor with the bracket assembly laying on it's back. Once you flip it over into it's proper mounting position, there shouldn't be any interference issues.
Tell me about it! I also have the 4 connectors that originally ran under the vent. I had disconnected them and un bolted the the bracket that held them in place. My Jeep is a 2021 JLUR with the 2.0.

I'm the first picture that is how I had it when I first put the compressor and mount in place but the air fitting held the front of the bracket off the floor by about 1.5". I then took the 90* off and it still teatered. The way it sits now in the last picture there is no fitting, just how it comes in the box. Still does not sit flat, can't see in the picture but it teaterd on that seam that runs across where the compressor sits.
20210319_140022.jpg
20210319_200210.jpg