Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I planned on doing this originally, but since I run topless in Arizona so often, I didn't want it being so visibly obvious and a theft target.
I did think about security so I may have a cover made but that'll be down the road, after my shake down run last weekend I made a list of things that need to be addressed and the ARB is on top of that list. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yep, mine is coming out as soon as I get my York installed. If I lift the hood and ONLY air up my own tires, it will do 37”s from 5 psi or so up to 27. BUT if I try to help a buddy air up, it will overheat and shut down after that. (I also have a 2 gallon air tank).
You doing the engine driven York? That thing is really cool!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I did think about security so I may have a cover made but that'll be down the road, after my shake down run last weekend I made a list of things that need to be addressed and the ARB is on top of that list. Thanks for the input.
Anti tamper bolts?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Just leave a sign that says "I have COVID and I licked the hell out of everything in this Jeep".

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
You will really like the compressor. It has been fantastic so far.

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
The problem with that location under the brake booster.....

Notice that in the install videos EVERYTHING in that area is already covered with heat shielding. Even the cables running in that area are in heat shielding. This tells us it's a particularly hot area due to proximity to the exhaust system in both a 3.6L and 2.0L (not sure on the Diesel and likely also similar).

So putting a electro-mechanical component that runs hot on it's own and relies on having cool air to do it's job is just a bad idea.

Even with the intake for the compressor relocated the air still needs to go down a long rubber tube that will get very hot in that area - so certainly the inlet to the compressor will be well above ambient.
Exactly.

On the JKs, the compressors were mounted up high on top of the brake valve. It was ok for low-demand use like lockers. Every guy I knew with them mounted there would open his hood to air up tires though. It works. But it isn't optimal - especially when the weather is bad.

As for the JL brackets that mount under the master cylinder... The exhaust is on the other side on diesels, so it's not as hot under the master cylinder as it is on the gassers. But I still wouldn't recommended mounting the compressor there. Besides, the washer fluid reservoir is different on the diesels too, and it's right in the way of where all of those aftermarket brackets mount. There are ways around that - but it's just more work and hassle than it's worth IMO.

Take a look at the Hauk Offroad M.U.L.E. skid - it's another really great option. Won't fit the diesels. (nothing does :facepalm:) The ARB compressors are IP65 rated (dust tight and waterproof in low pressure). I wouldn't run them during a water crossing though just because of the cooling fans. Best to have an air tank if you're going to use them for your lockers so you can keep the lockers engaged without running your compressors. And you'd need to mount your intake filters remotely.

Keep in mind that if you mount them under one of the front seats, the passenger behind that seat loses a bit of foot room. And if you have floor mats, the one behind the compressors will either have to be trimmed or curled up a bit. I wasn't too happy about cutting the carpet and part of the HVAC duct under the seat either. Compromises must be made.

None of the mounting options are perfect. If there was a perfect solution, there wouldn't be so many posts on the topic - we'd all be doing the exact same thing. I can't emphasize enough to plan your location based on your intended use.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, mine is coming out as soon as I get my York installed. If I lift the hood and ONLY air up my own tires, it will do 37”s from 5 psi or so up to 27. BUT if I try to help a buddy air up, it will overheat and shut down after that. (I also have a 2 gallon air tank).
Can't wait to see this! I had a York on one of my XJs. It was a ton of work to get it in there, but that thing was bulletproof. Zero discussions about heat with a York compressor. They're tanks!

I'm most eager to see where you're going to mount it. The engine bays in modern vehicles are like a Grandmaster Tetris game - and the JL is no exception. Got any pictures of where you're planning to put it? Have you already found some hard points to mount a bracket to the engine? Are you going to re-route the serpentine, or do a double-groove pulley with a second belt?

Details, man! Details!!

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Can't wait to see this! I had a York on one of my XJs. It was a ton of work to get it in there, but that thing was bulletproof. Zero discussions about heat with a York compressor. They're tanks!

I'm most eager to see where you're going to mount it. The engine bays in modern vehicles are like a Grandmaster Tetris game - and the JL is no exception. Got any pictures of where you're planning to put it? Have you already found some hard points to mount a bracket to the engine? Are you going to re-route the serpentine, or do a double-groove pulley with a second belt?

Details, man! Details!!
I took the easy way out and ordered this kit. It’s cheaper from their Facebook page. I’ve had the ARB for 3 years now and will sell it to recoup some of my costs.

https://offroadonly.com/shop/on-boa...ni-on-board-air-kit-wrangler-jl-2018-up-3-6l/

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took the easy way out and ordered this kit. It’s cheaper from their Facebook page. I’ve had the ARB for 3 years now and will sell it to recoup some of my costs.

https://offroadonly.com/shop/on-boa...ni-on-board-air-kit-wrangler-jl-2018-up-3-6l/
Ah! A York mini! That makes a lot more sense. They're just as robust as their big brother, just in a much more manageable form factor.

I don't blame you for going with a kit. You have to be very precise in making brackets for anything that's belt-driven. Otherwise you'll get belt squeal and premature belt failure. No fun.

After reading the description... Are you going to install an oil trap? With a wet compressor crankcase, you could start building up oil inside the tires if you deflate/inflate regularly. I'm also curious about how the inlet ties into the engine's crankcase breather. I wonder if the breather will have enough airflow to feed the compressor.

Can't wait to see it installed! (And better photos than what's on ORO's website.)

Call911man

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Finally got my ARB twin mounted up over the course of the last couple days. Went with the ARB under seat mount and designed/built myself a manifold out of parts that I sourced mostly from McMaster-Carr. Happy with the way it turned out, though I still need to fab up some brackets for the outlets which will be mounted under each of the front seats.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 9D2507DE-A735-4B33-80E4-F7C0E6F8192D

I repurposed the ARB switch/outlet bracket to instead hold a pressure gauge. I tied the switch illumination into my dome light circuit so it lights up for me when I open the door to use it, but it won't remain lit while I'm driving at night.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 53DB4612-51BB-4CAA-BA99-91507524FB85

It is tied into a pressure regulator on one side of my manifold. The other side of my manifold has a ball valve installed in it. This will allow me to air up/down all four tires at once via double ended hoses that will attach to the outlets on either side of the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 96884C3E-0132-48E0-A589-8E6ACB1308B7

And since there seems to be a lot of concern about modifying the air vent, here's a picture of what's going on under there. The directions tell you to cut off 200mm (just shy of 8 inches), but that's not absolutely necessary (depends on your manifold configuration) and will leave your vent pretty much even with the rear of the body tub crossmember that it's mounted to. I also chose to graft the diffuser nozzle back onto the end of my vent to help spread out the air flow. Overall I think I'm at about 125mm (5inches) shorter than the stock vent configuration.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 1721FA1F-3FD7-45C5-AB70-47026F64C726

Last edited:

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to install the single piston compressor under the front seat? It seems that the ARB bracket is designed for the dual piston only...
Don't know if this has been answered but from what I've read it can, but most push to just pay the extra money for the twin versus the single.
Sponsored