dsundy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, so please bear with me as I learn the forums.

I am looking for some advice on mounting a rear-facing, multi-function light bar inside the hardtop on a JLU. Has anyone done something like this?

Here is the light bar I'm looking at: https://www.kchilites.com/28-multi-function-rear-facing-led-light-bar-9801.html - it will provide brake lights, turn signals, warning / chase lights, scene lights and reverse lights in one package.

Here are a few benefits I can see with this set up:
  1. No need to re-mount third brake light when I go to bigger tires
  2. Provides additional reverse lights / scene lighting for camping
  3. No wind noise or drag from the lights on the roof and the interior mount reduces opportunity for theft
  4. Amber lights act as chase lights if I am off roading in dusty conditions
  5. Having a single, integrated light bar means only one connector to remove when I take off the hard top
I know the traditional advice is to just get a roof rack, but frankly I don't know that I need one and it's a big expense. I have already run into rear lighting issues while out in the woods, though.

I think there must be a way to mount the light bar and run the wires to a plug so I can remove the hard top. I measured between the rear window hinges and it is just a hair over 28", but I think there would be space to mount it.

For reference, here's a 4Runner that has a set up similar to what I'm thinking:

And here is a video from KC showing an external mount for this light bar on a JK:

Any pictures of set ups or advice of things to consider would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first electrical project on any vehicle of mine, but I am fairly handy in general.

Thanks all -
Dsundy
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely doable as far as wiring and mounting, but the tinted rear window would rob some projected lumens. If that's ok with you, than the only other concern is with blocking any light from bouncing back off the glass and creating an interior glare. Maybe something like a universal weather stripping attached to the perimeter of the bar housing that would fill the gap between the light and window.

Sponsored

Nystalker

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Following, working on installing the same light bar only externally mounted. What kind of (spade) plug are you using to allow you to disconnect easily when you remove the hardtop?

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Any updates?

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
Below the rear plate on tire. Can flash at any pattern with the tap left open in back.

IMG_20191222_164421.jpg

IMG_20191013_192418.jpg
Sponsored