jspagat

First Name
Heffe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJU
Jeep and bike.jpg

This is the reason I got this vehicle. And... the roof comes off. And... its body on frame.
But as for the bike, a size large 29er will fit nicely in the 60/40 rear seat split, still letting 2 people sit in back (just in case you are someone who needs to have a bike on hand at all times and doesn't want to keep it on a rack).

Also, the rear seat is a 32-inch / 16-inch split; so more like a 66/33 split, which again, is good for 1 bike/2 people...

And I've seen 3 bikes fit on the 60-inch (er... 66) side, allowing for three bikes and three people, which is nice.
Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Once the trail rail kit comes out we can install a fork mount across the rails. Until then I built this for mine.
I placed it in the center, but am now thinking of moving it over to one side so I can keep one of the back seats up.

B89194EA-A7A7-4AE0-997F-F69CAF2BD21F.jpeg

B2CE4C2B-D370-44E2-8647-58319B8665FB.jpeg

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Good to know it fits in that side...I've got a pretty simple specialized 29er hardtail.

I have one of these (rotates down not sideways), so just plan to use that. I'm unnecessarily worried about taking the front wheel off/on with the disc brakes. Also have car seats which slow down seat lowering. I needed an 8" extension because the pilot holes were off by about 1/2" though :facepalm: Don't want to take the spare off or it would fit just fine. I can take a pic sometime if needed.

stunning-jeep-wrangler-bike-rack-17.jpg

OP
OP
jspagat

jspagat

First Name
Heffe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJU
Once the trail rail kit comes out we can install a fork mount across the rails. Until then I built this for mine.
I placed it in the center, but am now thinking of moving it over to one side so I can keep one of the back seats up.

B89194EA-A7A7-4AE0-997F-F69CAF2BD21F.jpeg

B2CE4C2B-D370-44E2-8647-58319B8665FB.jpeg
Nice Niner hardtail...

I just bungy the bike and front wheel to side roll bar... very secure.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I’ll have to try that. My concern would be taking a hard turn and the bike bars smashing into the side window. Also, wanted the bike to be secure if I decide to take the Jeep off-road when the bike was inside.

Just wish the rail kit would come out so I can mount a quick release system for the fork mount. They way I have it now is I have to bolt the bracket I built into the existing holes where the d rings are.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Nice Pivot as well. Going back to full squish when we move back to Colorado. I’m in Maryland now and what I had before was just overkill for the trails out here.

Mukluk

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
When I had my JKU I did a similar fork mount set up as @Saejin but I flipped it the other way so the rear wheel was at the glass. I wasn't smart enough to remove the D-ring bolts and attach the board to the D-ring nut. Do you have to lower your seat to clear the roll bar? Not going to lie - I might be stealing that idea when my JLUR comes in.

Nice 9er. They make an amazing bike. Steel frame SIR 9?

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Is there any configuration where you dont have to take the front wheel off? e.g. all rear seats folded down and bike lay flat? I'd really like to not have to take the wheel off every time

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Thx. It’s a steel ROS 9 and I have a dropper post. I also have a 160mm pike fork, just so you get an idea of how high the front end sits up. The dropper post has to be lowered to clear the roll bars.

I don’t like the idea of laying down since you may run into issues like damaging brake rotors, rear derailleurs, etc.

Taking the wheel off is an extra step, but I think it’s a better way to carry the bike. If I trusted people enough to park my Jeep at the trailhead with no top then I might come up with a way to mount the bike in the back with the front wheel still on.

Also, one thing to remember when using a mount that requires you to take your fro t wheel off...don’t forget to load your front wheel in the vehicle before you leave. Ha

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Thx. It’s a steel ROS 9 and I have a dropper post. I also have a 160mm pike fork, just so you get an idea of how high the front end sits up. The dropper post has to be lowered to clear the roll bars.

I don’t like the idea of laying down since you may run into issues like damaging brake rotors, rear derailleurs, etc.

Taking the wheel off is an extra step, but I think it’s a better way to carry the bike. If I trusted people enough to park my Jeep at the trailhead with no top then I might come up with a way to mount the bike in the back with the front wheel still on.

Also, one thing to remember when using a mount that requires you to take your fro t wheel off...don’t forget to load your front wheel in the vehicle before you leave. Ha
Understood that you dont like the idea of laying down. With that being said, do you think it's possible to fit a 29er in the back without taking the wheel off?

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I don’t think so. Right now with my bike loaded the clearance from the front bars to the roof is not enough to keep the front wheel on, but I do have an pretty long fork.

You’d also have to install the proper bike rack inside that allows you to mount the bike upright with both wheels. I have one I used on a roof rack, but I know adding hat would just add additional height to the bike, so it would definitely not fit.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I ran over my wheel I left behind my explorer in my younger years. You only do that once!

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I ran over my wheel I left behind my explorer in my younger years. You only do that once!
I did the same thing! Once!

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
Just bought a Mopar hitch receiver to use my Thule bike rack.
Sponsored