Motortrend says 2019 JL 'may' receive a new special-edition model

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Not even kidding, I passed a Dragon edition wrangler on I-84 westbound here in PDX about 2 weeks ago. I thought I had seen something truly rare, but man was it weird looking!
Sponsored

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Being that i live outside the Detroit Metro Area, a lot of friends and family work for the big 3. That so, the rumor is that a new wrangler model likely placed below the rubicon will be introduced carrying the name of a famous trail. Just what ive heard though

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Being that i live outside the Detroit Metro Area, a lot of friends and family work for the big 3. That so, the rumor is that a new wrangler model likely placed below the rubicon will be introduced carrying the name of a famous trail. Just what ive heard though
2019 Gumdrop Pass Edition, named after the trail in the board game Candyland, only available in bikini pink.

10/10, would buy. Take my money.

I spend waaaay too much time with my kids...

Gumdrop_pass.jpg

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
2019 Gumdrop Pass Edition, named after the trail in the board game Candyland, only available in bikini pink.

10/10, would buy. Take my money.

I spend waaaay too much time with my kids...

Gumdrop_pass.jpg
lmfao. straight up god tier

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
MOAB edition ???

On the delivery hauler with a couple of Rubi's and couple of sports.

Steel bumpers, BFG MTs, different looking rock rails.
Veeery interesting. Looks like the Rubicon wheels, but painted gloss black. Wonder what hood?

From a profit perspective, FCA must be keen to get more models out there with the cheaper axles/diffs but priced closer to the Rubicon. Throwing the cheaper but more-visible Rubicon features (wheels/tires/sliders/bumper/hood(?)) on a Sahara is the obvious way to do that, and it's been the recipe for most of the JK special editions.

I'm down with it. I want the taller gearing and lower weight of the Sahara (and won't be rock-crawling, so don't need lockers or SBD), but don't like all the silver trim or painted fenders. A Sport S would be fine, except no factory LEDs or bigger brakes.

Last edited:

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
Veeery interesting. Looks like the Rubicon wheels, but painted gloss black. Wonder what hood?

From a profit perspective, FCA must be keen to get more models out there with the cheaper axles/diffs but priced closer to the Rubicon. Throwing the cheaper but more-visible Rubicon features (wheels/tires/sliders/bumper/hood(?)) on a Sahara is the obvious way to do that, and it's been the recipe for most of the JK special editions.

I'm down with it. I want the taller gearing and lower weight of the Sahara (and won't be rock-crawling, so don't need lockers or SBD), but don't like all the silver trim or painted fenders. A Sport S would be fine, except no factory LEDs or bigger brakes.
Am I missing something? Doesn’t the Sahara have the same 3.45 gearing as the sport?

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Am I missing something? Doesn’t the Sahara have the same 3.45 gearing as the sport?
Yes, I was explaining why I want a cosmetically-different Sahara (i.e. a special edition) instead of a Rubicon.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
What? The best parts of the rubi are the lockers and sway bar disconnect, which the Willys doesn't have. The willys is a sport with the optional d44 rear and trac loc. The only things it has that can't be gotten on the sport are the rockers and rubi wheels/tires and some stickers.

Unless you think the best part of a rubi are the wheels and the rockers?

Willys is cool, but lets not get carried away.
I could have taken my pick of 2018 Willy’s but I decided on a JL Sport with the Dana 44 and anti-spin for substantially less money. I’m my lifetime I don’t think I’ve ever once regretted buying the latest model of anything.

I’ve already bought a brand new set of Rubicon take-off wheels and tires for $1000. I just need to put them on. So I’m almost as capable as a Willy’s off road (probably 98%) while being an unquestionably superior truck on road. Just the steering alone is light years better, and who doesn’t want to have a camera showing what’s behind you or a side airbag that could perhaps save my life? I could go on..

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Rumor has it, similar to what they offered for the JK, Jeep will offer a JLU "Dragon Edition". Below is the beautiful JK Dragon Edition.....

I can't wait!!

EC7A1EB9-9F06-4E34-8C82-63007A330F6D.jpeg

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going to get in a debate with you over the resale value of a porsche vs a rubicon, proof is in the number my friend
If you are concerned about the resale value of a vehicle, you are probably not keeping it long enough.

Thrive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango R/T, 2007 Mercedes R63 AMG
Rumor has it, similar to what they offered for the JK, Jeep will offer a JLU "Dragon Edition". Below is the beautiful JK Dragon Edition.....

I can't wait!!

EC7A1EB9-9F06-4E34-8C82-63007A330F6D.jpeg
Please no. That might be one of the few Jeeps produced in the last 11 years that was just so dang bad that 30 years from now it may actually be valuable in full stock trim and aesthetics/decals. Funny how the auto world works sometimes.
Sponsored