JDChris

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
I don't trust frameless doors. I saw in the TFL video the windows are supposed to lower a bit automatically when you open them so they don't hit the seal with the roof on the way out. I would wager there will be a lot of problems caused by that whole process. Also, lots of people hang their doors by the window frame when not in use.
I did catch someone else's comment about the windows lowering and apparently this is pretty common on convertibles. So maybe not as big of a risk as it might seem, but then again we probably didn't think there was a big risk with their hardtops.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So, the bottom line is: very good effort from Ford, but they still prefer the Jeep.

And while Ford spends the next 18 months solving production problems, Jeep will be launching a mid-cycle redesign.

By 2023, it wonā€™t be even a contest.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The key significance of this video is that Motor Trend is the first mainstream publication that dares to say what many on here sort of knew, but everyone outside has been scared to say publicly: as good as Bronco is, it is NOT a better off-road vehicle than Wrangler.

Now watch a bunch of other media outlets do the same and start to state the obvious.

Last edited:

Jstarr

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ, 2020 T4R TRDOR, 2017 Taco TRDOR, 2000 Tundra
I'm surprised to read about the Bronco's electronic parking brake. That sounds marginal.
A week ago my wife & I were luxuriating in the hot spring pool at Wiesbaden Lodge in Ouray one evening, and two women were recounting that days adventure with their husbands driving, & small kids in back, 2-5 years old. The 2 families rented wranglers, sounded like one was a stock Rubicon and the other with some lift & large tires.
Without much experience they ran to Telluride & back, Ophir Pass one way and Black Bear the other. On descents the brakes on both jeeps "experienced mechanical failure" and they used the handbrakes to keep from going over the edge. Their husbands thought it was due to the high elevation affecting electronics or some such? They were going to complain to the rental company.
I tried to explain about always descending in low/low, and taking cooling off periods after major downslopes. I'm just glad none of these folks and their kids ended at the bottom of those ravines.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Crowning a King of the Hill is a tired click-bait tactic by hack writers. Surprised so many need affirmation of the vehicle they choose.

Do you need servers to tell you "excellent choice sir"?

How much less the opinion of a writer for an antiquated magazine website.

Plenty of people will enjoy Broncos and Wranglers to various degrees in different capacities. Some will have a bad experience and swear off the brand. Others will own both and pick the right tool for the right job. Follow a Raptor on a Baja trail, have him follow you over some rocks...

Childish shĀ”t for insecure people.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Watched one minute of the video and what crap, are they kidding me?

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Despite Ford's marketing strategy, I'm still not sure all that many Broncos, regardless of the special edition or model, will actually see a lot of hard off road travel, probably more gravel road entry roads to Forest Service campgrounds. Not even that many Wranglers actually see that much aggressive off roading, although both Broncos and Wranglers make great station wagons.
My bronco was registered as a wagon.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Does anyone actually want to take their doors off while out and about?
Personally, I'd be afraid of theft or damage taking to the doors while they were in the trunk.
I like running without doors especially on the trail. I take my doors off at the campsite or even the trailhead all the time.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Correct. Itā€™s going to be funny to watch the videos comparing the XR and the Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.

ā€œThe Bronco did well on this trail, but just couldnā€™t match the solid axle articulation of the Wrangler XR. The Wrangler remains in its element on the rocks. However, on the drive to and from the trailhead, itā€™s hard to beat the Broncoā€™s comfort and on-road manners.ā€
When I want comfort and on-road manners I take my GC, for serious off roading the Rubi. When they try to one vehicle do both, both are comprised.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I thought I'd never hear an automotive reviewer utter the phrase "The Jeep just seems more refined"! Well done guys! Not that that is a big deal to a hard-core offroader, BUT, to be more capable offroad AND feel more refined is saying a lot.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I find the window frames to be very helpful when removing the doors. They provide a "handle" and added stability. The windows frames do not add much mass and I think the framed doors seal better to the body.

I like the exposed hinges on the Jeep doors, hood and tailgate. It is what makes a Jeep, a Jeep. And the doors are easy to re-install.

I read where Ford said the Sasquatch has 17% more flex than the Rubicon. I have never seen any proof and I doubt this to be true.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I find the window frames to be very helpful when removing the doors. They provide a "handle" and added stability. The windows frames do not add much mass and I think the framed doors seal better to the body.

I like the exposed hinges on the Jeep doors, hood and tailgate. It is what makes a Jeep, a Jeep. And the doors are easy to re-install.

I read where Ford said the Sasquatch has 17% more flex than the Rubicon. I have never seen any proof and I doubt this to be true.
They're talking about frame flex šŸ˜
Sponsored