Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Source - https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...wrangler-unlimited-rubicon-long-term-verdict/

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Long-Term Test Verdict: Not the Year We Expected

What a difference one year makes, even if it didn't change our minds about the iconic Wrangler.

Jeep Wrangler JL Motortrend 2019 JLU Rubicon Long-Term Test Verdict: Not the Year We Expected 2019-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rubicon-front

The departure of our long-term 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon just a few weeks ago was bittersweet. A lot has changed in my life—all of our lives, really—since the firetruck-red, black-topped four-door Wrangler long-termer showed up at MotorTrend's offices in July of 2019. Like the long-term Ram Power Wagon before it, I had big plans for our Wrangler; aside from driving and living with it everyday, I was going to take our Wrangler on epic, Jeep-appropriate overland expeditions across the American Southwest, with my wife and our two dogs, Brooklyn and Rex, in tow.

For many reasons that didn't happen. An endless stream of test vehicles (the very definition of a first-world problem, I know) from summer through fall delayed plans to go exploring Death Valley, or Moab, as well as tackling the Rubicon Trail. Come December, life seemed to slow down slightly. Until one day, after hopping out of the Jeep she loved to bark out of, we noticed Brooklyn was slightly dragging one of her hind legs. The Jeep rides she loved so much became less and less fun as they shuttled her from vet to vet and soon after, hospital to hospital. Cancer, they said. By Christmas, she'd passed.

I think it was Woody Allen who said, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans." With a 65-pound black lab/blue heeler-size hold in our hearts, the Jeep spent January close to home, driving in a rain-soaked Los Angeles, nose pointed nowhere in particular, its cabin quiet save for the pitter-patter of rain on the removable hardtop, the din of the Wrangler's eTorque turbo-four, and the occasional jingle from our other pup Rex's collar.

What-ifs and regrets were all we could think about. "What if we'd noticed it sooner?" "Why didn't we take Brooklyn on more trips?"

In those regrets was a glimmer of peace. Although we hadn't managed to crisscross the country as a family, we hadn't failed to make memories together in our long-term Jeep, even if we were more likely to be found on pavement than off it.

We ate up miles of asphalt together driving to the far reaches of Northern California to visit Brooklyn's favorite people, my in-laws. Although the Jeep's old-school reciprocal ball steering got tiring on the nearly 600-mile slog north and back south again, Brooklyn had thoroughly enjoyed the spacious, upright rear bench (though not squeezing through the Jeep's narrow rear door openings), while all 25 pounds of Rex loved the luxury of being able to see California zip by as it turned slowly from metropolis, to mountain, endless valley, and then forest—all thanks to the Wrangler's massive greenhouse. Meanwhile, the humans enjoyed the Wrangler's nine-speaker Alpine audio system and the responsive Uconnect infotainment system. With two solid axles and a suspension designed for rock crawling, the Wrangler wasn't the most comfortable way to travel long distances on regular roads, but it got us there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Motortrend 2019 JLU Rubicon Long-Term Test Verdict: Not the Year We Expected nlimited-Rubicon-front-three-quarter-in-motion-1-1

Like our beloved pup, MT's long-term Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon was largely trouble-free during its tenure with us. It only needed a single regular service during its 14-month, 23,733-mile stay with us, an oil and filter change, tire rotation, and inspection that set us back just $83.55. There was but a single recall during that time, for the steering damper. The new steering damper, designed to combat the Wrangler's tendency to wander at highway speeds, cost us nothing and took just a few hours to install at the dealer. Steering effort increased somewhat with the new part, making long hauls more of a chore. Further changes to 2020 model year Wranglers have slightly improved steering feel in my experience. It's worth noting that among the more popular threads on JLWranglerForums.com is one concerning owner complaints about steering feel on 2018-2020 Wranglers and Gladiators; 2021 model year Wranglers are reportedly getting completely new steering boxes to hopefully eliminate the issue.

Our Jeep's now-discontinued mild-hybrid 270-hp 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine option under-delivered on the EPA's 22 mpg combined rating, achieving 17.3 mpg during its time with us. Not great, but not terrible given the Jeep's still bricklike aerodynamics and heft. We'd still opt for a turbocharged four-cylinder (now minus the hybrid bits) if we were ordering a new Wrangler today—it's cheaper than the available six-cylinder EcoDiesel, and its 295 lb-ft of torque makes it feel spritely compared to the standard 3.6-liter V-6, which makes most of its 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque high in its powerband.

Where the Wrangler really came into its own were the unplanned trips, even though they didn't take us as far afield as we initially planned when the Jeep first arrived. The most memorable was probably when we headed north one morning to hug the coast, rather than east toward the hot Mojave Desert. Our plan was simple: find some water for the dogs to play in. With plenty of ground clearance, knobby tires, locking diffs, and—my favorite—a sway bar disconnect, we always had the peace of mind that the Wrangler Rubicon would get us wherever we needed and back again.

In this case, it was a no-name, unmarked dirt trail in the mountains above Santa Barbara that dumped us out alongside a flowing stream. The trail was far from challenging, but that's not always the point. The arc of water droplets glistening in the sun as they came off Brooklyn's wagging tail at the watering hole. Her head and body buried in a towel in my wife's arms as she attempted to dry her. Rex nipping Brooklyn's furry wet neck. The sun shining. The water flowing. That is the point. That now memory is what the Wrangler helped make possible.
Goodbye pup, we'll miss you.

-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rubicon-and-cutest-pups-2.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Motortrend 2019 JLU Rubicon Long-Term Test Verdict: Not the Year We Expected -Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rubicon-and-cutest-pups-1
Sponsored

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It definitely sucks losing a dog. We lost the little cream-colored Pomeranian in the pic below and to this day the only “mod” on my jeep is one of his bandanas that I tied to my driver’s side grab handle about four months before he died.

Jeep Wrangler JL Motortrend 2019 JLU Rubicon Long-Term Test Verdict: Not the Year We Expected 31377FD9-200D-48B1-92AD-93571653FF24

c_seabaugh

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It definitely sucks losing a dog. We lost the little cream-colored Pomeranian in the pic below and to this day the only “mod” on my jeep is one of his bandanas that I tied to my driver’s side grab handle about four months before he died.

Jeep Wrangler JL Motortrend 2019 JLU Rubicon Long-Term Test Verdict: Not the Year We Expected 31377FD9-200D-48B1-92AD-93571653FF24
Gorgeous pup, and sorry for your loss. I keep Brooklyn's old ID tag on my keychain now--love the bandana idea.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
That hit right square in the feels. Have had to say goodbye to a few pups over the years and it never gets easier.

I hope my Jeep Dog outlives me, because I don't know if I can go through this again.
Jeep Wrangler JL Motortrend 2019 JLU Rubicon Long-Term Test Verdict: Not the Year We Expected FB_IMG_1598910321301

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
my 9yo GSD is going in for lung x-rays tomorrow. Both club docs think we caught it early, and are very experienced surgically.

I've been a fucking wreck since finding this out on friday.

Sponsored

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
my 9yo GSD is going in for lung x-rays tomorrow. Both club docs think we caught it early, and are very experienced surgically.

I've been a fucking wreck since finding this out on friday.
My thoughts are with you.
We just lost my buddy "Chester" a few months ago. Enlarged heart leading to internal leading and other complications.
You can be the toughest guy on the planet, and break down when your dog passes away.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I sold my first Wrangler (or Connor’s Jeep based on this pic) because a bad leg meaning I couldn’t drive stick back in 2018. Wanted to wait a few years foe the new generation to settle and I had been hoping to get my JLUR before Connor passed but alas, damn 2020 took him from me May 5th. First dog ever :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:.

Jeep Wrangler JL Motortrend 2019 JLU Rubicon Long-Term Test Verdict: Not the Year We Expected A500B355-3E08-4C05-A66F-EDA9FD628D7E

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Dang dogs, anyways. I named my yellow lab "Anne" after "Where the Red Fern Grows" as a reminder that they always die too soon, and that we shouldn't get too attached. Right. She's only 3, but of course she's already the best dog I've ever had. I think dogs are how the god or the universe teaches us humility as I'm already dreading the day I'll be ugly crying over her. On the bright side, I tell her every night that we had a good day together, and every morning that we're going to have another good day together. I get a happy kiss each time.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Great post, OP. Thank you for sharing it.

Dogs are just better than most people. Their friendship and exuberance make our best times even better, and their unconditional love and affection comfort us during our worst times. They’re an enormous blessing.

I’m getting old, so I’ve lost a number of great dogs over my lifetime. The Good news is, the heartache eventually fades, but the love and great memories you shared never do.

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Guys I'm here at work reading and tearing over this. Such a great post.

I have a Pitbull mix named Noodle, she is my first dog but she is such a sweetheart and my best friend. She suffers from epilepsy, and it destroys me to see her have epileptic episodes. I just hope God gives me lots of more healthy years with her.
Sponsored