Sponsored

Motorcycle towing and carriers for the JL

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'm planning to purchase a Honda Grom soon and was thinking of the best way to transport it with my Jeep when I travel.

Has anybody used a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier (like this one: https://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-500/) for their bikes on their JLU or JKU? What has your experience been using it?

Groms are fairly small and only weigh ~230lbs so I don't expect it to be too much weight for the hitch to handle. My other concern was if the spare tire would get in the way and prevent me from loading the bike on the carrier in the first place.

I really don't have space to store a normal motorcycle trailer, and to be honest just hate pulling a trailer in general, so I was looking at alternative options and for $100 it doesn't seem too bad.
Sponsored

Masala

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara - Mojito!
Occupation
CCP
I'm a long-time scooter owner (mostly Vespa), since 2007. For most people, hauling just 1 scooter, a trailer is overkill. The "gold standard" hitch-mounted carrier that I see mentioned most on the Vespa forum (www.modernvespa.com) is called the VersaHaul (www.versahaul.com). It carries the scooter, off the ground, sideways against the back of your vehicle - similar to the spare tire on a Wrangler, only hitch-mounted. I'm not sure what is involved to use one on a Wrangler *with* the spare tire in place, but I will definitely be looking into the VersaHaul myself for future scooter hauling needs.

Hope this helps, and have fun with the Grom when you get it - I've heard nothing but positives about them!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm planning to purchase a Honda Grom soon and was thinking of the best way to transport it with my Jeep when I travel.

Has anybody used a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier (like this one: https://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-500/) for their bikes on their JLU or JKU? What has your experience been using it?

Groms are fairly small and only weigh ~230lbs so I don't expect it to be too much weight for the hitch to handle. My other concern was if the spare tire would get in the way and prevent me from loading the bike on the carrier in the first place.

I really don't have space to store a normal motorcycle trailer, and to be honest just hate pulling a trailer in general, so I was looking at alternative options and for $100 it doesn't seem too bad.

The lift without the bike weighs 62 lbs. The bike weighs 230+ lbs. Then you figure a few lbs for the fluids... gas..

You will undoubtedly need a 6" drop hitch. ... You will need a 6" hitch extension to hopefully clear the spare.

Max recommended tongue weight for the 4dr. JL with the 3.6 engine is 350#.

You might ?? be aok, but for sure, it is not a set-up I would want to drive to fast with, on the interstate with, etc.. Florida's roads are flat and forgiving so that is a plus for you.

I'm sure somebody will chime in and say yes, they have this and use all the time. Doing and doing properly and safely are two different animals.

J&L'sJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase

I have one that is made of aluminum except for the main support that worked great on my old jeep.
I had to extend it though when it had to clear a 13.5" wide spare on the back of my Bronco
I went to a local fab shop and got a longer main support tube cut to bolt on.

If you get one definitely get a quality one that is solid. I have seen some sketchy ones moving all around going down the highway.

I will post a pic of it on the JLU this weekend.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The lift without the bike weighs 62 lbs. The bike weighs 230+ lbs. Then you figure a few lbs for the fluids... gas..

You will undoubtedly need a 6" drop hitch. ... You will need a 6" hitch extension to hopefully clear the spare.

Max recommended tongue weight for the 4dr. JL with the 3.6 engine is 350#.

You might ?? be aok, but for sure, it is not a set-up I would want to drive to fast with, on the interstate with, etc.. Florida's roads are flat and forgiving so that is a plus for you.

I'm sure somebody will chime in and say yes, they have this and use all the time. Doing and doing properly and safely are two different animals.

Tongue weight concerns with distance from the hitch presents valid issues. That said, I very much like these devices, especially when heavy objects are being pulled or putting downward force on the hitch, for the purposes of eliminating rattle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVVVERO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

J&L'sJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This one works well.
I haven't used it for in a while though. I always just use my truck but it would work in a pinch.
It has a threaded insert that bolts it to the reciever to eliminate movement.
I also place a block between the motorcycle frame and the rack (not in the pics) and ratched stap it down.
It is rock solid and I have used it off road at the dunes several times.
Depending on the weight your bike it might be a little too much tongue weight.

20180715_152104.jpg

20180715_151957.jpg

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
It's not the static tongue weight but the dynamic tongue weight when you go over any speed bump equivalent. You might be able to press lift 350 lbs but try to catch the same weight when it's dropped from 5 feet.

frankfast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport 2-Door, 2017 BMW X1, 1961 Triumph TR3
Interested in a carrier for sport bikes that has a capacity of 600lbs. My Curt hitch is rated Class3 but has a GTW of 350lbs. The bike I want to carry is around 350lbs but with the carrier weight exceeds the GTW of the Curt hitch. The hitch is bolted to a rear frame member of my 2 door JL and I wonder if I weld it will I increase the GTW? Also wondering how 400lbs on the back of a 2 door JL would ride?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You guys are way overthinking this. Put the carrier on the back and go. It is not that big of deal. Just remember that it is back there. The Grom by the lway is sweet. While I do not have one, my bud has one that he has modded out and it is a blast to ride.

Sponsored

frankfast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Was worried about the weight at the back of the JL A dolly would probably work but not sure I like that. For me, It looks like a single rail trailer is the way to go.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I've used this carrier for years...this June will make 5 years. I used it on the back of my JK and my WK. It won't work on my JL with the 37" spare, but should work with the factory tire. Great carrier and cheap...I got mine at Northern Tool.

IMG_0507.jpg

frankfast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A dirt bike or Grom are a lot lighter than a sport bike. I'm looking at a 350lb. sport bike plus the weight of the carrier on the back of a JL Tongue weight is a factor although some carriers claim 600lbs. My hitch is a Class3 but says the GTW is 350lbs. Probably a big difference between the ride of a 2 door and 4 door. I like the idea of a carrier over a trailer because you don't have to worry about wiring lights or registering the thing but I want to be absolutely sure that my JL and hitch can handle it.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
A dirt bike or Grom are a lot lighter than a sport bike. I'm looking at a 350lb. sport bike plus the weight of the carrier on the back of a JL Tongue weight is a factor although some carriers claim 600lbs. My hitch is a Class3 but says the GTW is 350lbs. Probably a big difference between the ride of a 2 door and 4 door. I like the idea of a carrier over a trailer because you don't have to worry about wiring lights or registering the thing but I want to be absolutely sure that my JL and hitch can handle it.
Your ass end is going to sag a bit with 400 lbs. on the hitch, but don't overthink it. I would just put it on and run with it. Your hitch can handle the weight, no problem. The handling of the Jeep will be fine, as well. My KTM full of gas is at about 260 lbs + the carrier. I ran it like this for a long time with no problems, up to MN and back to NC several times. I usually had the Jeep loaded down in the back with a bunch of riding/camping gear. I would just make sure you buy a quality carrier. After that, all will be good.

KTM1.jpg
KTM2.jpg

frankfast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With my 2 door being shorter than your 4 door, I think the weight may affect my vehicle more than yours since yours has more counter weight up front. Was the JK a 2 door?
Sponsored