Sponsored

Motor Trend: JKU vs. FJ

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
In light of the continued discussion on the future of the JL/ JLU and its competition, I came across this comparison test from May '14 by Motor Trend I wanted to share. Some interesting conclusions have been drawn as to the "why" for the demise of the FJ Cruiser. The second before the last paragraph of the comparison test echoes some of the sentiments shared by some here on the end of the FJ:

Basically what it boils down to is this: the Jeep Wrangler makes you want to drop the top and actively go out and seek adventure. In the Toyota FJ Cruiser, you’re content holing up at home for a weekend-long Netflix marathon and hitting the road later.
Jeep Wrangler JL Motor Trend: JKU vs. FJ {filename}

More here: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep...wrangler-unlimited-vs-2014-toyota-fj-cruiser/
Sponsored

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Without even reading the article yet just look at the pic and you can half predict the success of the cars. One looks like a melting children's cartoon car and the other carved out of a solid chunk of metal. :)

The removable top and doors feature of the Wrangler really can't be overstated. If you can't take the top and doors off, don't even bother trying to compete (that's to you Toyota for the FJ and to you Nissan for the Xterra). Thats why you can sense a lot of worrying from the members here who are previous or current Wrangler owners and afraid that the JL will lose some of its open-air experience with a fixed roof frame.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
The way I look at it is you just can't topple the king! Before you even get to the technical stuff, there's way too much heritage and reputation behind the Jeep name for a newcomer to come and try to elbow their way in. On top of that it's actually hard to top the Wrangler as a technical package for the same starting prices.

Chinster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reasons why Wrangler still reigns:

Wrangler has a unique and classic styling, the only convertible SUV left on the market (I know there's droptop luxury SUVs like the Evoque convertible coming but that's not a true SUV), it's the only SUV where doors come off, it's one of very, very few vehicles that you can still get with selectable dual-range 4x4 and a manual transmission (the only other option is a Tacoma), it's an easy platform to build/modify/repair and has a humongous aftermarket and enthusiast community. I know a few plow guys who love old Wranglers for smaller driveways because they do tight maneuvering better than pickup trucks.

Tiago

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner
The history of the FJ is a sad one. The original put Toyota on the map in North America in the 50's and they abandoned it like a red headed stepchild. To add insult to injury they then built a feeble caricature of it for the second gen and let that die too. Talk about ungrateful.

Sponsored

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
Reasons why Wrangler still reigns:

Wrangler has a unique and classic styling, the only convertible SUV left on the market (I know there's droptop luxury SUVs like the Evoque convertible coming but that's not a true SUV), it's the only SUV where doors come off, it's one of very, very few vehicles that you can still get with selectable dual-range 4x4 and a manual transmission (the only other option is a Tacoma), it's an easy platform to build/modify/repair and has a humongous aftermarket and enthusiast community. I know a few plow guys who love old Wranglers for smaller driveways because they do tight maneuvering better than pickup trucks.
Another big reason is nobody really care about a BOF rugged SUV as much as Jeep does. And by that I mean they have the most to lose by failing to deliver on such a car and sell it in big numbers. Killing off the FJ Cruiser and Xterra didn't affect Toyota or Nissan's bottomline or reputation much. But to Jeep the Wrangler is pretty much all they've got -- it carries the brand financially and defines the brand's identity. It's the car everyone knows Jeep for. So unlike Toyota or Nissan (and maybe Ford once it introduces the Bronco), Jeep will always be willing to devote the money, resources, time, marketing, etc. to keep the Wrangler fresh and on top of the segment. My 2 cents :)

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
yup if it meant as much to Toyota as the Wrangler does to Jeep they would have never allowed that. the Wrangler is FCA's crown jewel and it will never be allowed to suffer that fate, part of what I love about it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Toyota and GM (Hummer) tried and failed. Ford says they're going to give us a Bronco...it'll either fail or be something very different from a Wrangler.

If Toyota had built a FJ true to it's roots with solid axles, removeable top and doors, and a small diesel...they'd have sold those things like hotcakes over here. But they did the same thing they've done with Tundra....fail miserably.

charles922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I would always prefer a Wrangler. Toyota can never stand against that
Sponsored