me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
So I purchased an 18 Rubicon (2nd owner) very low miles....last year, it already had the v41 recall done and I drove it back from NH to RI and it seemed fine steering wise. I had 5 previous wranglers and at the time was driving a 981 porsche and traded it for the Rubi. My only complaint and I’m not entirely sure it’s not related.... is that when it’s really windy (I drive over a bridge twice a day on my commute) the steering seems crazy like all over the place!!! But normal conditions - no wind - it’s fine. Might this be related to the algorithms mentioned ? Stress or force from wind allowing the steering to go faulty to a point It is dangerous? I mention this because I know the rig is a box on wheels but my previous wranglers never struggled this much to stay planted !
Or the huge box being pushed sideways by the wind...
Sponsored

rrwoodward

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 4-door JL
My 2020 Sahara was built in Aug 2019. It's bone stock and has excessive loose steering, way worse than any JK's and other JL's I've driven. It's impossible to remain in your lane on the highway. The fact that FCA refuses to acknowledge there's a problem but is supposedly working on a software update or a new steering box tells us everything we need to know.
Easy fix, and it worked very well. Took me months to find this.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS

Nah. It's not my job to fix a new vehicle and void the warranty. Also, many people who have done this have said that the looseness returned after a couple thousand miles. I'll let my lawyer handle it from here.

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
In case you haven't seen the newest issue of Motor Trend, they have positive news on the steering issues:

"I dedicated our previous 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon update to discussing the pros and cons of owning and driving a Wrangler every day. Having spent some time recently in a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel, it appears that one of my chief complaints about our Jeep's steering has been addressed.​
One of my biggest issues with our Wrangler has been its steering feel. Its heavy steering has a tendency to wander ever so slightly back and forth while driving in a straight line, which means the driver has to make constant little corrections to the steering wheel. In small doses, it's not much of an issue, but if you're spending more than an hour behind the wheel per day—as I do sitting in Los Angeles' traffic going back and forth to MotorTrend HQ—it gets tiring. It gets even more exhausting on long road trips.​
And then, a bright yellow 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel showed up to our offices for a test, with my name on it. I could tell something was different by the time I'd exited the parking lot—its steering feel was significantly lighter and lower-effort while still retaining feel of the road. After an hourlong drive home (an hour in which I wasn't constantly chasing the Jeep's steering), I fired off a quick email to Jeep's PR reps to see if there was something mechanically different between our 2019 Wrangler's steering and this newer 2020 one, or if I was just going crazy and clearly needed to find a new career path.​
Unlucky for you, I was right—Jeep's reps helpfully confirmed that Wrangler engineers had made both steering gear valve tuning and pump calibration changes that would result in lighter, lower-effort steering. The change definitely made it harder for me to get back into my 2019 long-termer."​
My JL Sahara have the worst steering I have drive in an old or new car, since I took it from the dealer brand new back in 2018. The dealer have no clue on how to fixed it. They have said it is normal because it´s a 4x4, also they changed some parts a couple times, and it is the same issue. I barely use it on freeway since it is really bad to drive a car with so much loose on the steering.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
How old are the people writing these articles? And why do people seem to need cars that can drive themselves these days. They clearly were not driving cars in the 80s or even 90s when you actually had to DRIVE and not just point. Maybe people need to start driving more and stop relying on all the fancy BS creature comforts, expecting a Jeep to drive like a luxury automobile. Don't respond with "for the amount of money a Jeep costs..." because you aren't paying for creature comforts, you are paying for drive-train/off-road performance. If you want luxury - go buy a Cadillac.
I’ve been driving since the 70’s. Had a ‘69 Coronet with ball joints so loose you could hear them clunk. While one could debate how safe that car was, I can say without apprehension the steering on my 2020 JL is unsafe. I’ve driven an Econoline van with a crosswind that didn‘t wander as bad.

I’ll gladly accept I don’t know how to drive if you can come over and show me how keep this puppy in the lane at highway speed on a windless day.

It isn’t right and suggesting folks are looking for a luxury ride indicates you’re either blessed with a Jeep that can stay in its lane or you never put yours on asphalt over 55 m.p.h.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

He doesn't mention any trouble loosening it up with the red loctite. Looks like he uses the method some videos have described using the large nut to break the allen screw loose from the loctite.
This is a very clear video - my steering wheel is just about exactly like his was at the start. It may be a weekend project.
I do wonder if some people's have loosened back up because the loctite is broken and their adjustment moves. Probably not, but I'm curious.

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
He doesn't mention any trouble loosening it up with the red loctite. Looks like he uses the method some videos have described using the large nut to break the allen screw loose from the loctite.
This is a very clear video - my steering wheel is just about exactly like his was at the start. It may be a weekend project.
I do wonder if some people's have loosened back up because the loctite is broken and their adjustment moves. Probably not, but I'm curious.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-steering-box-adjustment.9426/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-426243

Jeep Wrangler JL Motor Trend confirms steering issue fix made to 2020 Jeep JL (gear valve tuning & pump calibration changes) ED54D869-1FD8-4A08-942D-D014FCDB133C

Some have reported success with resetting the power steering electronics. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1132084

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
One of my biggest issues with our Wrangler has been its steering feel. Its heavy steering has a tendency to wander ever so slightly back and forth while driving in a straight line, which means the driver has to make constant little corrections to the steering wheel. In small doses, it's not much of an issue, but if you're spending more than an hour behind the wheel per day—as I do sitting in Los Angeles' traffic going back and forth to MotorTrend HQ—it gets tiring.
You would feel or notice NOTHING "sitting" in traffic!

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You would feel or notice NOTHING "sitting" in traffic!
Your post makes it look like you are quoting me. Your beef is with Motor Trend. I'm just the messenger. :)

That said, I've been a MT reader since junior high 50 years ago. They had a few rough stretches in the 1970s - Car of the Year = Chevy Vega? Really? - but they have gotten their act together in recent decades.

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Your post makes it look like you are quoting me. Your beef is with Motor Trend. I'm just the messenger. :)
Chill, no beef with anyone - just staing a fact - have you ever driven in LA or Silicon Valley traffic? Youre moveing very slowly and you could be driving a 1924 Hupmobile and not notice anything except sheer frustration:)

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I had searched for a fix to my very "sloppy" steering on my '19 JL for months. I finally ran across this. I had a mechanic to this last week. It made a massive improvement. I'm not sure I could say it's perfect, but it's much better and safer. I think this guy nailed the problem.

I'm just going to try and sell it even though i might take a bath. Maybe @JeepCares is right and they are supposed to feel this way. I drove my stock 2006 TJ to work today and although it was a primitive ride, the steering was dead on and I had no problem keeping it in a very narrow lane. I'm really bummed that it didn't work out but Ford has the Bronco coming out and who knows, I might pick up a Raptor or even the Baby raptor. If I have to sell the TJ to cover the loss on the JL it's no big deal really. When I had a major issue with one of my VW's (we had two at the time), the customer service was amazing and I've bought two more since then. Jeep just lost at least a few more sales to me and obviously everyone I know knows the story as well. Other than the steering This was really a fun vehicle for me. the softtop is amazing and it I cant' believe how well the 2.0T works. The cornering is really nice too but the inability of FCA to be able to fix such a rudimentary function as the steering or the fact that they even could say that a vehicle is supposed to steer this way really makes it a no brainer.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Nah. It's not my job to fix a new vehicle and void the warranty. Also, many people who have done this have said that the looseness returned after a couple thousand miles. I'll let my lawyer handle it from here.
Has Jeep ever admitted that there was a problem with yours? I can't remember from previous posts. I called a few lawyers that deal with lemon laws and they said that if jeep claims that there isn't a problem, they didn't want to take the case. Now those were lawyers that don't require a retainer up front. I may just need to bite the bullet up front. might be money better spent than covering the loss when trading it in.

thecarps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Unless my 2020 is actually a rebadged 2019... This is completely wrong and the 2020 suffers the same issues as 2018 and 2019. My steering is awful. Wandering and sloppy steering from the factory.
I see you are a new member - welcome. This is an extremely informative group.

Curious, is this your first Wrangler?
This is my 4th Wrangler.
1997 six cylinder/stick
2008 JKU rubi/auto
2015 JKU/ Sport S/auto
2020 JLU/Sport S/auto with Sun and Sound package
This is by far the worst steering vehicle I’ve owned. I’ve also owned Landcruisers with solid axles and 4 runners. This the first time ever joining a forum so thanks for the welcome.

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
The steering gearbox adjustment IS the fix. I have around 30k miles on my 2018 JLUR after the gearbox adjustment (and tightening of all the steering linkage joints) and it still drives great.

On my wife's 2018 JLU MOAB I did only the Mopar lower control arms for about 20k miles. It was OK but that change in caster reduced the response and increased the turning radius. So I just put the original lower control arms back on and made the steering gearbox adjustment and the MOAB now drives great.

I've made the gearbox adjustment on a friends JLUR as well.
Sponsored