Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Well if we are lucky it's a software adjustment and you can go in, have new calibration parameters loaded to the PCM and drive out. I've asked every dealer I've been to to please re flash my PCM but if they won't admit there is a problem, they are unable to reflash.
Thats funny, if there is a software update available for any of the modules, they can pull it up on their wytech pad, look at any codes, clear them, update all the software to the latest revisions in about 2 minutes. I had my wifes 18 Sahara done, their were pcm, tcm updates. I had them do the same on my rubicon, my freind who is a tech checked during an oil change , pulled up the codes, had low battery which he sees often, there were updates on 6 modules and he did the updates. He said we are supposed to do the updates any time they are brought in, unless the customer specifically doesnt want them done. He showed me how they do it and what they look at.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That may be some of it, but it's certainly not all of it. I came from a JK, and also a former TJ owner, and the steering on my 2018 JL wanders a LOT more during interstate driving than either of my previous Jeeps. Just last week drove from Charlotte to Richmond and back on I85 reinforcing this. There are a lot of folks who came from JKs who've made similar comments about their JL's in the larger threads on the topic of loose/wandering steering. My wandering got a marginally better after replacing with aftermarket trackbar but that's about it. The stabilizer recall had no effect at all.

As for those hoping for a recall...check out how well FCA is doing these days with the clutch recall for the manual trans owners.
Clutch recall went great for me. In and out in a few hours.

thecarps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
In case you haven't seen the newest issue of Motor Trend, they have positive news on the steering issues:

"I dedicated our previous 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon update to discussing the pros and cons of owning and driving a Wrangler every day. Having spent some time recently in a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel, it appears that one of my chief complaints about our Jeep's steering has been addressed.​
One of my biggest issues with our Wrangler has been its steering feel. Its heavy steering has a tendency to wander ever so slightly back and forth while driving in a straight line, which means the driver has to make constant little corrections to the steering wheel. In small doses, it's not much of an issue, but if you're spending more than an hour behind the wheel per day—as I do sitting in Los Angeles' traffic going back and forth to MotorTrend HQ—it gets tiring. It gets even more exhausting on long road trips.​
And then, a bright yellow 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel showed up to our offices for a test, with my name on it. I could tell something was different by the time I'd exited the parking lot—its steering feel was significantly lighter and lower-effort while still retaining feel of the road. After an hourlong drive home (an hour in which I wasn't constantly chasing the Jeep's steering), I fired off a quick email to Jeep's PR reps to see if there was something mechanically different between our 2019 Wrangler's steering and this newer 2020 one, or if I was just going crazy and clearly needed to find a new career path.​
Unlucky for you, I was right—Jeep's reps helpfully confirmed that Wrangler engineers had made both steering gear valve tuning and pump calibration changes that would result in lighter, lower-effort steering. The change definitely made it harder for me to get back into my 2019 long-termer."​
Unless my 2020 is actually a rebadged 2019... This is completely wrong and the 2020 suffers the same issues as 2018 and 2019. My steering is awful. Wandering and sloppy steering from the factory.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Unless my 2020 is actually a rebadged 2019... This is completely wrong and the 2020 suffers the same issues as 2018 and 2019. My steering is awful. Wandering and sloppy steering from the factory.
I see you are a new member - welcome. This is an extremely informative group.

Curious, is this your first Wrangler?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’m sorry to hear that. My 2020 has perfect steering. Zero issues.

question: When you went to purchase your 2020, was the steering poor during your test drive?

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I see you are a new member - welcome. This is an extremely informative group.

Curious, is this your first Wrangler?
To chime in... this is my first Wrangler ('20) so I have nothing to compare it to, but I too have a hard time tracking on the freeway. Around town I don't notice it, although I do have to 'drive' it more which makes it fun.

LHuffman47

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Automotive Sales Manager
My 18 JLUS steers flawlessly, guess I'm lucky...

GZilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I’m sorry to hear that. My 2020 has perfect steering. Zero issues.

question: When you went to purchase your 2020, was the steering poor during your test drive?
I think it depends on when it was manufactured. I ordered my 2020 2 DR JLR in August (2019) and took delivery about a month later.
It shipped with the 68250508AE (which as of now is the most current version) steering box and it did not steer well at all compared to my 2013 JK.

Dealer diagnosed "play in the spool valve" and replaced it with the same part number steering box. Drives perfectly now.

So there are definitely issues in the 2020's but it may be predicated by "when" the vehicle was manufactured. Mine was way early in the model year.

Vehicle is currently 100% stock and no other parts replaced or adjusted. (ie LCA's dampers etc are all stock no TSBs or recalls applied)

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m going with a Mopar lift on my 2021 Diesel. Two reasons:
  • AEV (my usual go to) has fallen in love with pickup trucks and will likely take forever to change the springs on their lift.
  • Given all the talk of funky steering, I don’t want to give Jeep a get-outta-jail-free card by blaming a non-Mopar lift

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey! Wrote the article in question--Jeep has confirmed to me that the changes were made to all 2020MY Wranglers and Gladiators, regardless of powertrain. On the same day our 2020 Wrangler EcoDiesel tester showed up a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon did, too. It also featured similar steering to the 2020 JL.
Some with that have a 2020 with bad steering say they have the AE steering box. What is the part number on your steering box? Maybe they changed steering boxes mid production year.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'd love to get new calibrations for my 2019. I've thought all along that my Jeep just needed the steering re calibrated but with jeep saying my jeep "Drives as intended" they won't even Re-Flash the PCM to eliminate the possibility that the Jeep I ordered got the correct settings. Did they change any hardware or is this just software related? 4 dealers have checked every mechanical component and found them fine. Why are they ignoring that this is an electro-mechanical system?They are completely ignoring the "ELECTRO" part at the dealerships.
Have you tried recalibrating the steering per this post?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fuse-pull-technique-may-help-fix-some-jl-steering-issues/

Here is one example where it fixed the excessive steering play problem.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1173539

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just tested the on-center feel of my JK. I can move it 1/4"+ without actually impacting the front wheels. I'd never noticed it. My 10th Jeep - perhaps I've acclimated over the years, and I'm sure that my KM2s don't help. I know that a JK isn't a JL, but I think that it could be passenger car expectations by those new to the brand. At least I hope so as I wait for my 2021.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I picked up my 2020 JLUR in early Apr. The steering wheel has a 1 1/2 inch dead spot and it wanders constantly. It will flat wear you out when driving interstate speeds for a couple hours. I have owned 2 JKs and a TJ before this JL and all of them steered better than the 2020 JLUR. I will probably also end up installing a PSC.
Thats funny, if there is a software update available for any of the modules, they can pull it up on their wytech pad, look at any codes, clear them, update all the software to the latest revisions in about 2 minutes. I had my wifes 18 Sahara done, their were pcm, tcm updates. I had them do the same on my rubicon, my freind who is a tech checked during an oil change , pulled up the codes, had low battery which he sees often, there were updates on 6 modules and he did the updates. He said we are supposed to do the updates any time they are brought in, unless the customer specifically doesnt want them done. He showed me how they do it and what they look at.
Yup. I’m aware that they “can” but I have exactly zero friends at jeep lol. They won’t without an actual reason and since it “drives as intended” they don’t have a reason.
Sponsored