First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I've owned three JKs, but I'm about to order my first JL. Is it possible that Jeep, in marketing to a broader group, have picked up first-timers who expect the Jeep to steer like their BMWs or Toyotas?
That may be some of it, but it's certainly not all of it. I came from a JK, and also a former TJ owner, and the steering on my 2018 JL wanders a LOT more during interstate driving than either of my previous Jeeps. Just last week drove from Charlotte to Richmond and back on I85 reinforcing this. There are a lot of folks who came from JKs who've made similar comments about their JL's in the larger threads on the topic of loose/wandering steering. My wandering got a marginally better after replacing with aftermarket trackbar but that's about it. The stabilizer recall had no effect at all.

As for those hoping for a recall...check out how well FCA is doing these days with the clutch recall for the manual trans owners.
Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
My '18 JLUR doesn't have steering issues, pretty tight wheel and no wandering issues. That said, I rented a '20 Sport last week while traveling and noticed the wheel was noticeably a little firmer than my Jeep. I don't know if that's due to the trim models.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Idk how much is worry about this. Good for the 20s. I'm putting a Fox steering Stabilizer on and if that doesn't do the trick, I guess I'll get the PSC kit. Yeah it's pricy, but I'm not getting rid of the jeep. I'd rather fix it.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
The steering in mine is fairly light, so I am surprised to see the article say the steering was heavy. Mine tracked fairly straight and had a big dead spot in the middle - then I broke my tie rod. I replaced it with my buddies old one and it tracks even better now and the dead spot is the same. The only time it "wanders" is when driving on a crowned road or something. The dead spot is there with the Jeep off so I wonder if that is just play in ball joints or in the steering box?

I would be really interested in driving someone's Jeep that has steering/wandering issues. I really do wonder if their Jeep is different or their perspective is different. I feel like most of the issues can be attributed to solid axles and the steering differences that brings. Also the fact that you are driving a brick that moves so easily with the wind.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I would be really interested in driving someone's Jeep that has steering/wandering issues. I really do wonder if their Jeep is different or their perspective is different. I feel like most of the issues can be attributed to solid axles and the steering differences that brings. Also the fact that you are driving a brick that moves so easily with the wind.
I wonder the same. I never felt my 2018 sport or my 2019 Sport S had any steering issues. But after driving a 2020 Camry for a while the jeeps steering definitely feels funky. With that said, FCA did modify steering components for the 2020 model, so... there must have been something wrong. Would there be a recall? I think it is very unlikely, and if there is, they will probably give us a software update or some random plug like the steering stabilizer.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have a 19 Sahara. About a 1/2”-1/4” of dead spot. Seems to vary. It’s manageable. I test drove one 2020 and it was ... perfect in my opinion.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
I Picked up a brand new 2020 JLUR Recon on Monday. When I went to see it last Thursday, The sales manager said the Service department was taking it in Friday pre delivery to me to address a steering issue that the 2020’s have. I’m sure it is a related, but it didn’t appear this was fixed from factory And something needed to be done after the fact. I didn’t see an open recall on the VIN, but maybe their process has been to fix them while on dealer lots? When I pressed on what the exact issue was, they said steering damper recall.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
My only issue is a slight pull to the right, with a perfect alignment. I'm optimistic the Fox steering Stabilizer will resolve. I'm like Pollyanna with this Jeep.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
My only issue is a slight pull to the right, with a perfect alignment. I'm optimistic the Fox steering Stabilizer will resolve. I'm like Pollyanna with this Jeep.
I don't see how a stabilizer would fix that. A stabilizer is damper, like a shock (or a spring), that reduces bump steer.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
My old CJ5 had A LOT of play in the steering. BUT, it tracked straight on the road even at highway speed. As a joke for passengers, I used to turn the steering wheel back/forth showing the free play while driving, but the Jeep itself tracked straight regardless.

So what I'm saying here is, play might not be such an issue, because if the caster and alignments are setup correct, the Jeep should track reasonably straight.

The change for JL was the electric steering - having to interpret inputs and conditions based on algorithms and act accordingly to provide good steering? My bet is on that system being the issue.

Either misinterpreting inputs, or making micro-adjustments at times when not needed, stuff like that. A "smart" steering system all has to work well together, when it's no longer just simple user input. For example, compared to the simpler and proven "canned ham" hydraulic steering of old.

Sponsored

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
I picked up my 2020 JLUR in early Apr. The steering wheel has a 1 1/2 inch dead spot and it wanders constantly. It will flat wear you out when driving interstate speeds for a couple hours. I have owned 2 JKs and a TJ before this JL and all of them steered better than the 2020 JLUR. I will probably also end up installing a PSC.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It’s brought up regularly that the dead spot is a separate issue from the wandering. I wouldn’t want more dead spot/lash due to the sector shaft or “tuning” settings than what I have now. An inch or more (1/2”-1/4” now) and I’d trade it in because in an emergency, going from dead spot to over correcting seems likely aside from the annoyance driving down the road between the lines.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I picked up my 2020 JLUR in early Apr. The steering wheel has a 1 1/2 inch dead spot and it wanders constantly. It will flat wear you out when driving interstate speeds for a couple hours. I have owned 2 JKs and a TJ before this JL and all of them steered better than the 2020 JLUR. I will probably also end up installing a PSC.
so seems like the issue is there. Some people swear that fixing caster deals with the issue, so they install the mopar lift LCAs. When I test drove jeeps, I noticed Rubicons had more play than sports. Rubicons sit higer than the sport and I think use the same LCA. I have 2 mopar lift LCAs sitting in the garage with a rubi suspension i am planning to install this month. I only paid $30 for each LCA, we will see how it goes.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My 2020 JLUR has less of a dead spot in the steering than my JK did, but the steering is a lot heavier and doesn't really return to center on its own. Mine doesn't wander - even with the tires at the dealer-inflated-40psi it didn't wander. On the dead spot comparison, if I turn my wheel with the jeep off, it'll move about half an inch in either direction before there's any resistance. I think my JK had about 1" of free play. Man I remember one time I rented a uhaul that had a good 5" or so! It was awful x_X

The not-returning-to-center thing takes some getting used to. Damn near drove onto the sidewalk after a right turn when I first got it lol.

I am still surprised how inconsistent it is. I've heard of a few people here going to a dealer and driving several JLs and having vastly different steering experiences with all of them. People who said they test drove one and it was great, then ordered another, and when their order showed up it had bad steering.
Sponsored