Sponsored

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Have you tried recalibrating the steering per this post?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fuse-pull-technique-may-help-fix-some-jl-steering-issues/

Here is one example where it fixed the excessive steering play problem.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1173539
Yeah I tried it a couple times. I’ve read a few ways to do it and I’ve tried them. I just drove my TJ that’s been parked for 6 months yesterday and while it’s a rough ride, the steering is true and re-confirmed that my JL is whack
Sponsored

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So is this on all 20’s or just the newer ones. Maybe that’s why I don’t feel much difference when I installed the synergy shaft brace on my 20?

Yeah I would like to know if that's the case. Mine (2020 JLUR) drives ok on the highway, some wandering but I don't really mind. It would be nice to have it even better though.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Keep in mind this is like fix number 5 on steering part changes, eventually the garbage they put out in 2018 will be barely acceptable, but still weak and not gonna hold up.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Luckily my 2019 2dr Sport has steered just fine from day 1.
Had the Steering damper recall performed, didn't help or hurt.
Added the slightly longer Mopar LCAs after my Rubicon suspension swap and it tracks a bit better at speed since the caster is just a bit higher now than it was stock.
I have maybe a 1/4" play at the wheel which IMO is nothing for these live axle rides :)

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
So I purchased an 18 Rubicon (2nd owner) very low miles....last year, it already had the v41 recall done and I drove it back from NH to RI and it seemed fine steering wise. I had 5 previous wranglers and at the time was driving a 981 porsche and traded it for the Rubi. My only complaint and I’m not entirely sure it’s not related.... is that when it’s really windy (I drive over a bridge twice a day on my commute) the steering seems crazy like all over the place!!! But normal conditions - no wind - it’s fine. Might this be related to the algorithms mentioned ? Stress or force from wind allowing the steering to go faulty to a point It is dangerous? I mention this because I know the rig is a box on wheels but my previous wranglers never struggled this much to stay planted !

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, mine is beastly in wind.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I purchased an 18 Rubicon (2nd owner) very low miles....last year, it already had the v41 recall done and I drove it back from NH to RI and it seemed fine steering wise. I had 5 previous wranglers and at the time was driving a 981 porsche and traded it for the Rubi. My only complaint and I’m not entirely sure it’s not related.... is that when it’s really windy (I drive over a bridge twice a day on my commute) the steering seems crazy like all over the place!!! But normal conditions - no wind - it’s fine. Might this be related to the algorithms mentioned ? Stress or force from wind allowing the steering to go faulty to a point It is dangerous? I mention this because I know the rig is a box on wheels but my previous wranglers never struggled this much to stay planted !
That really is ..... A JEEP THING.

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
I have a 2020 Willys JL and they steering is extremely loose so they didn’t fix it on all of them. Mine came off line in Feb 2020.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I think it depends on when it was manufactured. I ordered my 2020 2 DR JLR in August (2019) and took delivery about a month later.
It shipped with the 68250508AE (which as of now is the most current version) steering box and it did not steer well at all compared to my 2013 JK.

Dealer diagnosed "play in the spool valve" and replaced it with the same part number steering box. Drives perfectly now.

So there are definitely issues in the 2020's but it may be predicated by "when" the vehicle was manufactured. Mine was way early in the model year.

Vehicle is currently 100% stock and no other parts replaced or adjusted. (ie LCA's dampers etc are all stock no TSBs or recalls applied)
THIS

I have taken apart a gearbox (AD) that someone gave me to mess with after they did a PSC kit. This gearbox also had play is the interface that houses the spool valve. I've watched some rebuilds on youtube, seems like the worm gear to spool-valve/torque sensor joint can be done differently, some are pins, some screw together. This part of the gearbox does not seem serviceable without messing up the soft AL housing.

So you can tighten the s#it out of the sector gear adjuster and it would not help.

Personally I have a late 2019 (July build) and have 0.5 - 0.75" of dead spot.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Wife's Recon was built in 02/2020 and no issues with loose steering.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
My 2020 Sahara was built in Aug 2019. It's bone stock and has excessive loose steering, way worse than any JK's and other JL's I've driven. It's impossible to remain in your lane on the highway. The fact that FCA refuses to acknowledge there's a problem but is supposedly working on a software update or a new steering box tells us everything we need to know.

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
How old are the people writing these articles? And why do people seem to need cars that can drive themselves these days. They clearly were not driving cars in the 80s or even 90s when you actually had to DRIVE and not just point. Maybe people need to start driving more and stop relying on all the fancy BS creature comforts, expecting a Jeep to drive like a luxury automobile. Don't respond with "for the amount of money a Jeep costs..." because you aren't paying for creature comforts, you are paying for drive-train/off-road performance. If you want luxury - go buy a Cadillac.

rrwoodward

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 4-door JL
I'd love to get new calibrations for my 2019. I've thought all along that my Jeep just needed the steering re calibrated but with jeep saying my jeep "Drives as intended" they won't even Re-Flash the PCM to eliminate the possibility that the Jeep I ordered got the correct settings. Did they change any hardware or is this just software related? 4 dealers have checked every mechanical component and found them fine. Why are they ignoring that this is an electro-mechanical system?They are completely ignoring the "ELECTRO" part at the dealerships.

I had searched for a fix to my very "sloppy" steering on my '19 JL for months. I finally ran across this. I had a mechanic to this last week. It made a massive improvement. I'm not sure I could say it's perfect, but it's much better and safer. I think this guy nailed the problem.

Sponsored