Vehicle(s)
None

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
This has always confused me. Our 2019 Sport S 2-door has always felt fine to me, and I've driven it on numerous long highway road trips. I figured I got lucky and our Jeep didn't have the steering death wobble issue. I also feel it tracks plenty straight. But my daughter hates driving it because she thinks it wanders all over the road. Now I've been driving for 45 years and she's been driving for only one, but I can't understand how two people can experience the steering on one Jeep so differently.

Best,
-Tim

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This has always confused me. Our 2019 Sport S 2-door has always felt fine to me, and I've driven it on numerous long highway road trips. I figured I got lucky and our Jeep didn't have the steering death wobble issue. I also feel it tracks plenty straight. But my daughter hates driving it because she thinks it wanders all over the road. Now I've been driving for 45 years and she's been driving for only one, but I can't understand how two people can experience the steering on one Jeep so differently.

Best,
-Tim
I've owned three JKs, but I'm about to order my first JL. Is it possible that Jeep, in marketing to a broader group, have picked up first-timers who expect the Jeep to steer like their BMWs or Toyotas? I own a Ducati Monster and a H-D Fatboy. I've owned the Fatboy for much longer than the Ducati. If the reverse was true, and my long-time experience was with the Ducati, I'd think that the Harley handled like a parade float the first time I rode it.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned three JKs, but I'm about to order my first JL. Is it possible that Jeep, in marketing to a broader group, have picked up first-timers who expect the Jeep to steer like their BMWs or Toyotas? I own a Ducati Monster and a H-D Fatboy. I've owned the Fatboy for much longer than the Ducati. If the reverse was true, and my long-time experience was with the Ducati, I'd think that the Harley handled like a parade float the first time I rode it.
Harley's DO handle like a parade float....lol...and Yes, I started on ducati's years ago, still have two and also own a Harley...;)...so Ya, you may be on to something here...lol

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey! Wrote the article in question--Jeep has confirmed to me that the changes were made to all 2020MY Wranglers and Gladiators, regardless of powertrain. On the same day our 2020 Wrangler EcoDiesel tester showed up a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon did, too. It also featured similar steering to the 2020 JL.
My 2020 steers like a go cart, deadplay in the wheel and wanders pretty bad. So don’t believe everything Jeep says. Lots of people in the main steering thread also have seen arbitration and buybacks for their 2020 wranglers.

supposedly the NTSB or NHTSA or whomever had spoke with a member that Jeep is aware of these issues and looking into ANOTHER new steering box and adjustable lower ball joints to remedy this issue since the redesign, however it’s months away and no one knows if it will be a recall, TSB, or general fight for your right to get these upgrades done case by case.

Sponsored

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
HA, I like the Ducati/Harley analogy. Been riding almost as long as I've been driving, and as much as I enjoyed the Sportster I had after years of Japanese, Italian & British sport bikes, I was sick of dragging the footage on the left and exhaust pipe on the right every time I tried to ride it spiritedly. Finally gave up and sold it, now riding a Beemer R9T and I think I'm done with the bike buying.

Best,
-Tim

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I find this interesting—especially the part about the 20s having a lighter steering feel.

My ‘19 JLR was an absolute mess regarding steering and was eventually bought back. It had around 3” of dead spot/play, was loose and light, pulled, and wandered.

My replacement ’20 JLUR Recon steers great. It doesn’t wander, pull, or have any noticeable dead spot. Yes, it *is* a Jeep but it steers and handles great. it had the slightest feeling of flightiness and more caster fixed that.

My favorite thing about the steering in my new JL is that it feels *heavier* and solid than my ‘19.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
thats exactly the reason I chose a FLHXS because it was the one handling more "modernish"...;)...still like the bike, I mean its a tourer, not a race rocket...;)

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Like the owner’s hands and eyes, the JL sometimes wanders.

If you do feel that the steering is drifting, make sure the Doobie brothers, “Drift Away,” isn’t coming thru the sound system.

Otherwise your Jeep will get lost in rock & roll and drift away...

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
one of dozens of quality issues on the steering. Great, now fix the weak tuning forks components, obsolete the need for many to have to buy a "Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace",, etc

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Jeep: "There is nothing wrong with your steering. That is how it is supposed to feel."

Also Jeep: "Wrangler engineers had made both steering gear valve tuning and pump calibration changes."

Me: "Ohhhhhh" :headbang:
They have reved trackbar, drag link and steering pump and probably other stuff in attempts to improve the yield. if you are one of the people in the bad category they made no attempt to help most people. F Fiat.

Pretending there is no issue its jsut a solid axle has been long CRUSHED on the forums years ago, yes your might have been fine, the yield is obviously at an unacceptable rate.
Sponsored