Sponsored

Motobilt's All New JL Skid Plate System Dropping This Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Looks great - weight? And net weight as it looks like you pull out a few pieces too!.
It looks to me like they could have removed more. Why install a skid over another skid? (Serious question a I’m really not sure why this was done.)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Motobilt

Motobilt

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
It looks to me like they could have removed more. Why install a skid over another skid? (Serious question a I’m really not sure why this was done.)
The fuel tank skid is the only piece not removed and here is why.

If you remove the factory skid plate around the fuel tank you have to drop the tank which causes a more complex and time consuming install.

Then you would have to build more brackets which means increased cost.

By retaining the factory skid plate you also retain the side protection around the fuel tank. Think of a log or large pointed object getting wedged between your drive shaft and fuel tank. If you removed the factory skid there would be not protection there.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
The fuel tank skid is the only piece not removed and here is why.

If you remove the factory skid plate around the fuel tank you have to drop the tank which causes a more complex and time consuming install.

Then you would have to build more brackets which means increased cost.

By retaining the factory skid plate you also retain the side protection around the fuel tank. Think of a log or large pointed object getting wedged between your drive shaft and fuel tank. If you removed the factory skid there would be not protection there.
Fair enough. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
How about heat issues, that's what would worry me with that much side to side coverage.

OP
OP
Motobilt

Motobilt

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
How about heat issues, that's what would worry me with that much side to side coverage.
We have been driving with ours for a few months now in 100 degree weather with no issues. If you measure the distance between the factory exhaust and the frame rail, then compare that to the distance between the exhaust and our skid plate. You actually have 1/2" more room.

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Absolutely awesome design and what looks like the execution you guys are known for! What did you do for yours as far as a coating? Running raw with a clear or end up painting?

Brett

Artemis

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi 4 door 3.6 Firecracker Red
Kit says something about an integrated cross member. Does that mean it integrates the existing factory bar? Or does it have a replacement crossmember built I to one of the plates?

Looks great! I was totally going to go with a metalcloak, but now I'm going to be adding some more motobuilt to my rig!

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Man, These look awesome. I love the boat sides, That's one thing I do wish mine had.
Just a few questions, as someone who is happy with their skid system now but MIGHT be an interested buyer later in my JLUR's life cycle when it transfers over to a more... hardcore use case:
Any plans for aluminum?
Do these come with replacement/ upgraded/ beefier cross member?
Is this system compatible with Long Arm kits??

Also... courtesy bump. Excellent product, keep up the great work you guys are doing @Motobilt

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Kit says something about an integrated cross member. Does that mean it integrates the existing factory bar? Or does it have a replacement crossmember built I to one of the plates?

Looks great! I was totally going to go with a metalcloak, but now I'm going to be adding some more motobuilt to my rig!
if you watch the install video, none of the stuff they took off goes back on, if i didnt miss anything.

OP
OP
Motobilt

Motobilt

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

Looks great! I was totally going to go with a metalcloak, but now I'm going to be adding some more motobilt to my rig!
Man, These look awesome. I love the boat sides, That's one thing I do wish mine had.
Just a few questions, as someone who is happy with their skid system now but MIGHT be an interested buyer later in my JLUR's life cycle when it transfers over to a more... hardcore use case:
Any plans for aluminum?
Do these come with replacement/ upgraded/ beefier cross member?
Is this system compatible with Long Arm kits??

Also... courtesy bump. Excellent product, keep up the great work you guys are doing @Motobilt
Yes we do have a cross member welded into the transmission skid plate for added strength and rigidity.
No current plans for aluminum as we believe in the strength of steel for a skid plate and the cost.
You would likely have to trim the skid plate as we cannot be sure where every kit mounts their brackets exactly.

DSC00496.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.