Sponsored

Most obvious differences- JK to JL

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
My 6 year old and I play our own version of "Punch Bug" by proclaiming "NEW ONE."

My son only knows the shape of a Jeep, so he yells it at every one he sees. Then he asks me if it was new or old.

I usually go by the front grill having tall slats, and lacking the Jeep logo. At night i can tell from the headlights/turn lights. Then the air vent behind the front wheel.

Lastly are the tail lights being shaped like a fat bolded "I"
Sponsored

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
JK says "Jeep" on the front, JL doesn't. That's the first thing I notice with an oncoming Jeep.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
JK says "Jeep" on the front, JL doesn't. That's the first thing I notice with an oncoming Jeep.
A whole lot of people remove that from their wranglers upon delivery. When I got my 2011 JK new from the dealership, they already had it removed because it looks terrible.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
A whole lot of people remove that from their wranglers upon delivery. When I got my 2011 JK new from the dealership, they already had it removed because it looks terrible.
Yep, I took mine off immediately after purchase. It looks so out of place.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Makes sense, but I see tons of JKs in my area, and I'd say at least 90 percent of them have the Jeep logo on the front .

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You're on your own on that one.
I wouldn't be so sure. There are countless threads and comments on the forums about how the JL is uncomfortable for tall guys, the seats are flat and stiff, the hip room is more narrow, etc. I think it's pretty well known by now.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I wouldn't be so sure. There are countless threads and comments on the forums about how the JL is uncomfortable for tall guys, the seats are flat and stiff, the hip room is more narrow, etc. I think it's pretty well known by now.
Leg room too, I hated the way the 4x4 shifter knob hits my knee

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Confort-wise, I would say it's divided. I was a bit more confortable in my JK and it seemed a lot better for taller folks, but tons of people have reported their JL to be confortable.

As far as the interior goes, short of confort, most people seem to agree it looks more modern and more luxurious than (or not as cheap as) the JK.

Ultimately this is a matter of opinion and very personal, but my reading thus far leads me to these conclusions.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
JL’s scream Fiat imo. Not a fan of how it looks with all those fake vents and flair. But looks aren’t the point it is a more capable Jeep so it is better for sure. The two things I do like though are the line/ indent that gives the doors a half door look. That indent imo corrects the lines from the hood to the rear panel. Also the JL seems to not have that stock rake that the JK had, which was super lame. JL looks better never mind.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
The Rubi hoods though are super lame. No question.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This is factual. The seats are measurably narrower and so is the leg room. As an average sized (6’1” 220lb) man though, I love my JL. I do think the interior styling of the JL is a work of art compared to the JK.

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
My JL-spotting techniques:
  • When viewing from the front, the grille is the distinguishing factor.
  • When viewing from the side, it's the fender flares and air vent behind the front fenders.
  • When viewing from the rear, it's the taillights and the license plate location. The wheel on the spare tire, if exposed, is usually a good indicator, but I've seen a few JKs sporting swapped-on JL wheels, so that's not a reliable way to distinguish.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Sheet metal: flat (JK) vs character lines (JL)

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Because??
Fake vents etc. Like fake hood scoops. Just silly looking to me. A superior Jeep, I know. We’re talking superficial things like appearance though. Rubi JL is of course an amazing model.
Sponsored