Sponsored

Most obvious differences- JK to JL

X-rated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Since owning my new JL I now take much more notice of any Jeep I see whether it be meeting one on the hi way or seeing one drive past as I'm walking. At first I was unable to tell one from another at first glance, I realize there are many differences, just wondering what others see as the biggest and easiest. I usually look for the vent above the front fender or the way the grill curves around the headlights.
Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Since owning my new JL I now take much more notice of any Jeep I see whether it be meeting one on the hi way or seeing one drive past as I'm walking. At first I was unable to tell one from another at first glance, I realize there are many differences, just wondering what others see as the biggest and easiest. I usually look for the vent above the front fender or the way the grill curves around the headlights.
Lights on fenders and the non silver-in-the-middle front bumper that JK has.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Running lights and squished in headlights are the give-away's from the front. From the rear, the JK had the wiper arm mounted on the top of the rear window, while the JL has it mounted on the bottom, hidden by the spare tire. From the side, just look for the scoop behind the front fender. There are many others, but that's how I first was able to tell them apart

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I always look for the fender lights or the hood. Honestly they look pretty similar.

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The JL hardtop has a molded in roof spoiler, the JK does not.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I always look for the fender lights or the hood. Honestly they look pretty similar.
I have both the JK and JL parked in my garage and the frontal mass on the JL is larger, at least on the Rubicon. The JK hood seems to slope down more than the JL. Next time I have the grille off the JL and see if it is bigger.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's funny because if you check them out in person side by side, the JL looks much more fresh and modern on the outside, but the JK is roomier and more comfy on the inside.

A lot of companies are making up for the added costs of safety technology and fuel efficiency technology by making the interiors cheap. The 2015 F-150 was the first such example I saw. Salesman said, "Yeah, it's got an aluminum body now and is 700 lbs. lighter, but that interior is cheap now." I climbed inside and sure enough, it felt like a step backward from my 2013.

Same is true of my 2018 JL Wrangler. I'd take the interior of my 2012 over this any day of the week.

But yes, on the outside the JL is a fresher design, particularly around the grille and bumper area.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
the round side markers on the front flares of the JK, is the first giveaway from the side. Obviously the marker lights on the JL from the front, and the tailights from the back.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Exterior differences: turn signals below headlight vs on fender, headlight pushing into grill opening, indentation on doors above handles, rear taillights, backup cam on spare tire, license plate, wiper arm on hard top.

Interior: push button start, A pillar grab handles, dash, rear HVAC vents.

rVa_JEEP

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I always notice the difference in the door handles

Also the front grill and lack of Jeep logo

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
From the front:

Number of lights in the grille when coming head on, 4 for JK and 2 for JL.

Lights on fenders may or may not be visible on the JL, mine are off at night.

Fog lights are located much close together on the JK than on the JL.

LED package equipped JL’s have goat eyes.

Headlights on JL overlap the grille lines, and are larger.

When following from the rear:

The black plastic covered swing gate hinge braces on the JK and painted metal on the JL (barring aftermarket mods or breaking the plastic).

Safety and LED package equipped JL’s have very specific strange looking tail lights.
Halogen JL lights and JK lights look similar, but not the same.

The pull handle on the JL for the tailgate vs the push button/handle on the JK.

From the sides, very obvious:

Front of fender vents on the JL.

Distinct body line at the “half door” level on the JL, completely flat doors on the JK.

Painted fenders on Sahara and Rubicon models have black trim on the JL, are solid painted color on the JK.

And of course, the paint color can give it away too. Tons of colors are available on the JK. Very few for the JL.