Sponsored

Most economical way to add some pep to my Wrangler?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what I thought. I guess I’m wondering why it was brought up with CAI‘s in the previous comments.
I brought it up jokingly, implying that both CAIs and catch cans are worthless, as it’s a long-running discussion.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I am so happy no one is mentioning a CAI. Are we officially past thinking those do anything?
I found one that gave substantial gains for my CJ5, but wasn’t cheap or easy.
Jeep Wrangler JL Most economical way to add some pep to my Wrangler? F3B56653-B574-4367-8D95-45A5D6D5DC38
Got cold air from In front of the windshield 😃

HK1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2dr sport 3.6etorq AT
The transmission plays a big part imo, I have the 8AT, I don't see how the 3.6 need more pep pulling a stock sport. I get surged forward from standstill if I press the pedal somewhat hard.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Surprised nobody has suggested only driving down hill or with the wind to your back. Helps with MPG as well.
That's the cheapest solution. Also, a tank of higher octane gas is a pretty cheap option as well.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Between the abysmal gearing on my sport/6-speed and the limp dick torque of the pentastar, my Jeep always feels sluggish unless you're pumping the eurobeat and shifting at redline constantly like a maniac.

My soul wants to add the center force clutch and a supercharger kit. But that's pushing $10k just in parts with obvious reliability concerns.

Regearing seems like a good idea. A few grand and would "unlock" 5th and 6th gear. As it stands I rarely use more than 4th gear. I have no desire for adding larger tires though, so a 4.88 or something sounds kinda stupid, and going to a 3.73 or 4.10 doesn't sound like it's enough change to be worth the cost when you're not actually gaining power, just cheesing the torque multiplication math.

Just sell my jeep and buy a 2.0L? I really don't like the 2.0L, but it definitely puts down more low-end torque and would definitely be cheaper than a supercharger. Transferring my mods is going to be a pain in the ass though, and it's tough to find lower trim jeeps with the tow/aux switch panel option that I consider necessary equipment.

I'd really consider swapping into an ecodiesel but I don't have drive patterns that jive well with modern diesel engines. Diesel is also ludicrously expensive here.

Those seem the only reasonable options that I can think of. With another clutch fire recall going out in a month and likely no proper fix maybe I just wait for the new 4Runner and enjoy my jeep as-is until then? If they dunk the hybridmax engine in there with 400lb-ft of torque and no faffing around with a plug like the 4xe it sounds like a winner.

Yous guys' thoughts?
Install Pedal Commander. It will run like a raped ape.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
OP you said you custom ordered the vehicle exactly to your tastes after test driving the other options. You actually ordered the least performing Wrangler (the longest gearing, the weakest transmission, the least torque engine). Now you are unhappy with the performance?

From what you describe, you feel you need more torque. So you have 2 options, sell it and buy a different powertrain or supercharge it. Nothing else will give you more torque.

I hear a lot of people telling you to regear. It will make a difference in first gear on take off, and that is it.

As far as the torque reaching the pavement past first gear it will make no difference. Your tires can't tell the difference if you are in third gear with a 4.56 rear end or second gear with a 3.45 rear end (I didn't do the math, just illustrating the point) - a shorter rear end is equivalent to being at a lower gear with a longer rear end. The only time it matters is first gear (or reverse) because obviously there is no lower gear.

Save your money - regearing is not worth it, unless you feel you need more torque only on the take off in first gear.

Sell it or put a blower with very modest boost on it (and say goodbye to engine warranty).

Smaller tires, regearing, driving in a lower gear (except for first/reverse) are all the same thing - playing with torque multiplication.

JCarlos

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s eco diesel
I’ll echo a few others…..trade it in and get the eco diesel, the torque is fun and if you need more power get the GDE tune

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP you said you custom ordered the vehicle exactly to your tastes after test driving the other options. You actually ordered the least performing Wrangler (the longest gearing, the weakest transmission, the least torque engine). Now you are unhappy with the performance?

From what you describe, you feel you need more torque. So you have 2 options, sell it and buy a different powertrain or supercharge it. Nothing else will give you more torque.

I hear a lot of people telling you to regear. It will make a difference in first gear on take off, and that is it.

As far as the torque reaching the pavement past first gear it will make no difference. Your tires can't tell the difference if you are in third gear with a 4.56 rear end or second gear with a 3.45 rear end (I didn't do the math, just illustrating the point) - a shorter rear end is equivalent to being at a lower gear with a longer rear end. The only time it matters is first gear (or reverse) because obviously there is no lower gear.

Save your money - regearing is not worth it, unless you feel you need more torque only on the take off in first gear.

Sell it or put a blower with very modest boost on it (and say goodbye to engine warranty).

Smaller tires, regearing, driving in a lower gear (except for first/reverse) are all the same thing - playing with torque multiplication.
I’ll echo a few others…..trade it in and get the eco diesel, the torque is fun and if you need more power get the GDE tune
☝☝ Correct 👇👇
Jeep Wrangler JL Most economical way to add some pep to my Wrangler? 0012F159-4747-48F1-B55D-5EC74C5A83A0
Jeep Wrangler JL Most economical way to add some pep to my Wrangler? F5439164-633D-4F4E-B2E3-D997D6ED249C
and boosting a high compression weak piston engine is a time bomb as shown , even at under 8 lbs boost, which is also lousy bang for buck.

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
Well, it's half to my tastes (manual trans is more interesting) and half to my budget (auto is very expensive on the wrangler). I'm not unhappy with the "performance", it's plenty fast for a Jeep, it's just the abysmally low torque under like 2500rpm that is goofy for the application. My point of the post is if there's any moderately affordable remedy.

There is actually a really good deal on an ecodiesel near me. $60k MSRP Sahara with all the goodies. 4,000 miles for $46k. I feel like there's gotta be something hidden wrong with it, but it's mighty tempting.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it's half to my tastes (manual trans is more interesting) and half to my budget (auto is very expensive on the wrangler). I'm not unhappy with the "performance", it's plenty fast for a Jeep, it's just the abysmally low torque under like 2500rpm that is goofy for the application. My point of the post is if there's any moderately affordable remedy.

There is actually a really good deal on an ecodiesel near me. $60k MSRP Sahara with all the goodies. 4,000 miles for $46k. I feel like there's gotta be something hidden wrong with it, but it's mighty tempting.
Just get the available diesel . Big smile producing torque, D44’s , problem solved 😊😃

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
You guys blabbering on about changing gears is only effective if 1st and reverse are too high need to stop giving poor advice. Changing gearing at the axles while leaving everything else the same is the best and probably cheapest way to transform your turd into a spirited driving experience.
There’s a reason we went from driving 2 speed power glide transmissions to 8 and 10 speeds. Keeping an engine running most efficiently is easier with multiple gears added to keep it in its sweet spot making power at low load but every transmission gear changes it’s usefulness when you make a change between it and the road. Jeep has to meet certain requirements for fuel mileage across the lineup, plunking out high geared vehicles help them meet that but it’s not the best for performance on a vehicle shaped like a brick with only 6 speeds. Jeep gave us the 8 speed which is great and makes better use of the 3.45’s but that’s not what we’re talking about here.
If you actually like the vehicle you’re in, $2,000 for a gear change will probably be cheaper than any trade deal.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Between the abysmal gearing on my sport/6-speed and the limp dick torque of the pentastar, my Jeep always feels sluggish unless you're pumping the eurobeat and shifting at redline constantly like a maniac.

My soul wants to add the center force clutch and a supercharger kit. But that's pushing $10k just in parts with obvious reliability concerns.

Regearing seems like a good idea. A few grand and would "unlock" 5th and 6th gear. As it stands I rarely use more than 4th gear. I have no desire for adding larger tires though, so a 4.88 or something sounds kinda stupid, and going to a 3.73 or 4.10 doesn't sound like it's enough change to be worth the cost when you're not actually gaining power, just cheesing the torque multiplication math.

Just sell my jeep and buy a 2.0L? I really don't like the 2.0L, but it definitely puts down more low-end torque and would definitely be cheaper than a supercharger. Transferring my mods is going to be a pain in the ass though, and it's tough to find lower trim jeeps with the tow/aux switch panel option that I consider necessary equipment.

I'd really consider swapping into an ecodiesel but I don't have drive patterns that jive well with modern diesel engines. Diesel is also ludicrously expensive here.

Those seem the only reasonable options that I can think of. With another clutch fire recall going out in a month and likely no proper fix maybe I just wait for the new 4Runner and enjoy my jeep as-is until then? If they dunk the hybridmax engine in there with 400lb-ft of torque and no faffing around with a plug like the 4xe it sounds like a winner.

Yous guys' thoughts?
TLDR…… it’s probably already been suggested…..but gears is my recommendation…… I recently installed 4.88s on my rig with 37s and it’s amazing…… the illusion of more power is real, and I’m loving it….. if you promise, swear to god, your not gonna run any bigger than a 33” tire, I’d recommend 4.56 gears……… here’s a sweet deal on them if it’s still available……..

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...or-rubicon-d44-m210-and-m220-axles-750.96076/

bacon392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Rubicon 392 XR
As many have said before in this thread, your best option is gearing. As that costs nearly $2400 near me in NJ, I'd assume that's more like $1500-$1700 by you in TX. Going from 3.45 to 4.10 is about 18% more mechanical leverage. Going to 4.56 gears is 32% more leverage. You will feel both in the seat of your pants especially if you're not changing your wheel diameter.

After that, I'd recommend a 2.0, 3.0, or what I did: a 6.4 with 4.56 gears. Rocket ship.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)