Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Team,

I have a JLUR with the 8.4 premium alpine audio system. I’m not an AV nut but would be interested if there are any lower cost high payoff upgrades that can be done. I have heard of people putting in bigger speakers but wasn’t sure if that would help without amps and going into a much bigger project. I appreciate any advice you might have. I have browsed other related threads but they usually are based on the basic stereo or go much deeper than I understand or want to spend.

Again my question is: what is the best bang for buck upgrades to the 8.4 premium audio system?

Thanks,

Adam
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Again my question is: what is the best bang for buck upgrades to the 8.4 premium audio system?
I don't think you'll get many responses to your question. Most people who choose the Alpine system choose to stick with it, as it sounds extremely good for the price paid.

OP
OP

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I appreciate the input. You may be right. I’ve seen lots of people upgrading speakers but I don’t know if I would need new amp ect... if I did that. I think it sounds pretty good but I always like projects especially if there is economical improvements to be had. I may try replacing the front wind shield speakers I read a post where that was a big gain for the 80 bucks they cost.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I think it sounds pretty good but I always like projects especially if there is economical improvements to be had.
If you were planning on upgrading, why get the Alpine system in the first place? The Alpine speakers are matched specifically for the JL. You'll likely make things worse my adding in different speakers. Also, you won't gain anything by simply changing out speakers without upgrading/changing the amp.

OP
OP

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
You may be right I just read others say there were improvements to be had by changing out speakers. If the consensus is don’t mess with it unless you do a full replacement. I will just keep what I got.

Sponsored

Saldaddy00

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0L
@LowBama, here you go -

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...stions-upgrade-from-alpine.71959/post-1641342

$60 - Infinity 3.5” two way dash speakers. 5 minute install, huge difference in voice quality.

$160 - Sound Ordinance 8” self powered subwoofer. 125 watts, direct power line to battery, no need for an amp. 2 hour install and some supplies (wire, crimps, tap into existing sub lines…). I know nothing about AV and had my cousin help. Good to go.

For all those questioning - the Alpine system speakers are way small and low quality, and you can’t hear any bass with the top down.

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
How are ppl wiring their soundbar speakers when they upgrade? I’ve read the factory speakers have two harnesses each for highs/mid. I assume there’s a crossover somewhere?

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
My opinion is the best option is 6 1/2" components up there. Use the SSV Works for clean look, or the Select Increments if you don't want to hack up your soundbar.

Last edited:
Reactions: KNN

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
It’s been a while. Do you connect the factory wiring straight to the tweeter/midrange? What do you do w/ the crossovers if the new speakers include it?

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
My opinion is the best option is 6 1/2" components up there, use both plugs. Use the SSV Works for clean look, or the Select Increments if you don't want to hack up your soundbar.
I went with Infinity and Select increments (Less use of power tools). Jeep ships 1/21. Also adding a Pioneer w4660NEX with a Metra AXPIO-JL1. No one seems to have done this yet so a writeup will be following.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Those Infinitys are junk. Check this out. I have them in the front and sound bar and will be pulling them this weekend for a new setup replacing all the speakers I just bought for under $600.

Watch this for proof the Infinitys sound bad.

Maybe it's just me, but every one of those speakers sound incredibly tinny to me.

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
Maybe it's just me, but every one of those speakers sound incredibly tinny to me.
Yeah, pretty much any 3.5"s sitting on the dash will be tinny, but the Infinitys are a lot harsher. I have noticed with them installed, during a lot of songs the mids/high seem mushed together. They are louder and brighter than stock, but not a great sound at all. They have a pretty high sensitivity (93db) as well, so they over power the stock knee speakers if you don't want to mess with that install.

I went with Alpine S Series 6.5" co-axials in the knee pods, S Series components in the bar, and Kicker 3.5s in the dash. All have 88db sensitivity so they should match well. I wish Alpine made a 3.5" S series but they do not. I plan on taking out all the Infinitys and swapping in the dash and bar speakers this weekend. Not sure when I will tackle the knee speakers, but will give updates.

All of this with install pods, plates, plugs, polyfill and dash trim tools was about $500 from Crutchfield. I could have spent another $450+ and went with R Series but hear they are a waste over the S Series unless you can give them good power (as in more than the factory Alpine upgrade amp puts out). Also I know you can get all this stuff cheaper elsewhere, but I like the ease of returns at Crutchfield in case I install all this and think it was a waste.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Yeah, pretty much any 3.5"s sitting on the dash will be tinny, but the Infinitys are a lot harsher. I have noticed with them installed, during a lot of songs the mids/high seem mushed together. They are louder and brighter than stock, but not a great sound at all. They have a pretty high sensitivity (93db) as well, so they over power the stock knee speakers if you don't want to mess with that install.

I went with Alpine S Series 6.5" co-axials in the knee pods, S Series components in the bar, and Kicker 3.5s in the dash. All have 88db sensitivity so they should match well. I wish Alpine made a 3.5" S series but they do not. I plan on taking out all the Infinitys and swapping in the dash and bar speakers this weekend. Not sure when I will tackle the knee speakers, but will give updates.

All of this with install pods, plates, plugs, polyfill and dash trim tools was about $500 from Crutchfield. I could have spent another $450+ and went with R Series but hear they are a waste over the S Series unless you can give them good power (as in more than the factory Alpine upgrade amp puts out). Also I know you can get all this stuff cheaper elsewhere, but I like the ease of returns at Crutchfield in case I install all this and think it was a waste.
That's the issue with car audio. Pretty much everything needs to be matched and completely installed as it's going to be used in order to tell the true sound quality. I installed a pair of Kicker PSC65 Coaxial Speakers in the fairing on my Harley with a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp and it was a tremendous improvement over the stock trash. I installed the same setup in one of the big trucks at work expecting the same, and it just sounds okay.
Sponsored