More than a vehicle it is a culture

Steven Yates

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon
With all of the focus on the new Ford Bronco I wander how many people remember why ford made the bronco in the first place it was to compete with the Jeep and here we go for round two but let’s remember that Jeep never discontinued any of its models and I think I know why and if I have to explain it you wouldn’t understand it’s a Jeep thing I think it is the culture something bigger than just a mere vehicle it is the people that made Jeep the icon it is today the loyal support that starts with a single Jeep wave I have never seen such a following of any other vehicle and I bet the bronco will never reach the heritage and status of the Jeep for one simple reason the Jeeple that stand behind it
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Like times 1,000!

Even with all of it's shortcomings (which are a lot less now than with the CJ, YJ, TJ, and to a lesser extent the JK), the current Wrangler based vehicles (JL and JT) are some of the best off road capable vehicles from the factory. They're are still relatively easy to fix, repair, and modify. Plenty of moms and dads have spent hours in the garage and on the trail with their sons and daughters teaching them the finer points of vehicle repair and off-roading.

I recently traded in an Audi Q7 for my 2019 JLUR. Is the JLUR a better overall vehicle than the Audi? Hell no, I loved my Audi for it's performance, comfort, and fuel mileage. But it didn't give me what a Wrangler can: The inherent belief and ability to go anywhere all other vehicles can (maybe slower and in less comfort) AND to go places where the vast majority of vehicles cannot go.

Plus there's a brotherhood/sisterhood with owning a Wrangler which people will NEVER get with a Bronco.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I watched the reveal trying to keep an open mind, but it was blatant how much the new Bronco is a copy of our beloved Jeeps. Sure there are a few “innovations” for differentiation, but the whole design and positioning seems to do little more than bow to Jeep’s already dominating iconic style and culture.

if you’re gonna come out of the gate swinging, put a little more effort and originality into it Ford. I couldn’t believe they were so desperate as to highlight the lack of a center roof bar!! :CWL: I can’t see the speaker bar behind me when I drive so who cares?!

I’m underwhelmed by the design and the marketing didn’t appeal to me - it was well shot but I didn’t feel compelled to want a bronco.

Overall the whole thing just seems to lack originality and soul. I’d rather be with a long-standing originator with heritage and culture than be part of an in and out of the market selling opportunity.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Sorry but this thread sounds like everyone's licking each other's wounds
I don’t think anyone is wounded. Competition is a good thing for any market. If anything, this is only going to make the Jeep a better product for those that aren’t interested in the Bronco.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I just took delivery of my 2-door JL a week ago. I love it.
I also really like the look of the new 2-door Bronco. It’s super cool looking. Like a big futuristic tonka toy. I would buy one. But not the first year.
Did I break the thread?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think the bronco will be a good option for mall crawlers and pavement princesses. Maybe it is the next coolest thing and the angry bird grill and multi colored led lights everywhere crowd will switch to broncos.
God I hope so.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
While my JLR isn’t going anywhere (it’s the vehicle we’ll take with us when we retire to the Philippines), I do like the 2dr Bronco. To me it echos the styling of the MK I Bronco pretty well, Ford does do retro styling well (look at the S197 Mustang for instance, the vehicle that started the retro vibes back in 2005, not perfect but good looking and a distinct nod to Mustangs of old) while bringing in new tech.

Will the Bronco have it’s version of Jeeple that will be as loyal? Perhaps. There are definitely “Ford” people out there that would never drive anything without a blue oval on it and this could well itch their scratch for an off-roader. The old Bronco’s have a following and if this follows the path of Mustang fans I can see plenty of new ones parked alongside the owners classic.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
If I’m honest- I think it’s cool. Would I personally buy it? Maybe not. But I could also see it being for my wife. She has a RAV4 because she felt a little overwhelmed by the jeep. Having diversity is good. And yes- there is more to a jeep than stats, but nothing says that you have to avoid everything else at the same time.

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
I love their feature that locks the rear inside wheel so you can do tighter hairpins. We've done some hairpins on mountains so tight that I didn't think any number of backs-and-forths would do. One place they actually recommend just going backward up each alternating switchback. My wife refuses to stay in the Jeep for those. So It would be neat to see that show up in a Wrangler someday. The doors with holes in them look cool. I feel like I've seen that somewhere.......

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I love their feature that locks the rear inside wheel so you can do tighter hairpins. We've done some hairpins on mountains so tight that I didn't think any number of backs-and-forths would do. One place they actually recommend just going backward up each alternating switchback. My wife refuses to stay in the Jeep for those. So It would be neat to see that show up in a Wrangler someday. The doors with holes in them look cool. I feel like I've seen that somewhere.......
Are you referring to black bear pass?

That it a neat little feature. Some nifty programming to manipulate the safety systems to give a useful function.

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Are you referring to black bear pass?

That it a neat little feature. Some nifty programming to manipulate the safety systems to give a useful function.
I was referring to China Peak and Rice Peak, both in southern Arizona. China Peak is so tight you end up doing the turns with one tire in the air during the back and forth because it's so steep in addition to so tight. And that's with full flex and sways disconnected.
Sponsored