Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great...did you use a dremel to trim it? What type of cutting wheel? What kind of JB weld? Thanks
Thanks... I used a cordless 18 volt grinder with a metal cut-off wheel. I used the old school JB Weld that you mix together. Just stuffed it in there to fill void and after dried sanded it smooth. A dremel would work, it would just take longer, and you probably break a couple of wheels since they’re smaller.
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I know this thread is a month old, but thought I’d add that I trimmed mine today. I went to aftermarket liners a couple months back and thought I was good. Did some trails since then and heard rubbing. Thought it was just hitting the liner a touch.

Last week before heading out on a trail I put duct tape along the rear pinch seam. Figured if I was rubbing there it would show. Well, it chewed the tape up pretty good right at the corner.

For reference, I’m running 3” of bumpstop and 37’s. No way was I going to go to 4” of bumpstop so I cut it.

Did it much the same as Roky, cut off wheel and JB Weld. Though I used the putty formula JB Weld and it worked really well in this application.

I’d post a picture but it looks much the same as the one on this thread.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also interested in anyone's opinion of the metalcloak lift, both on and off road.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also interested in anyone's opinion of the metalcloak lift, both on and off road.
3.5” gamechanger. Love it on and off road. It’s very capable. On the trails I’ve ran, I haven’t pushed it to its limits too often.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m an RK guy, but MC is my second favorite lift. You’ll have to trim up those rear pinch seams though, the MC is crazy flexy and your 38s will definitely hit them........:)

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I’m an RK guy, but MC is my second favorite lift. You’ll have to trim up those rear pinch seams though, the MC is crazy flexy and your 38s will definitely hit them........:)
You're certainly right. I might have to get a tad more greedy with mine than you did with yours. Looks like there's a bit more real estate before getting into the next nearest spot welds. I also have plenty of marine tex to fill it in and finish it off all nice nice. Thanks for posting that reference pic of your abbreviated pinch seam.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was almost positive mine was just rubbing on the plastic liner but I guess I will have to try the duct tape on the pinch weld to make sure it is not that

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was almost positive mine was just rubbing on the plastic liner but I guess I will have to try the duct tape on the pinch weld to make sure it is not that
The taller the lift the higher the potential for hitting the corner of the tub. This is assuming that the axle is centered up in the wheel well post lift using adjustable arms.

The arms will need to be adjusted longer on a higher lift to center the axle. This leads to a longer arm that as the tire moves upward will swing in a radius that extends more towards the rear tub then a shorter arm length would.

I certainly don’t know this for fact, but I would guess most 2.5” lifts will clear and many 3.5” lifts will not. But even within that statement there are many variables that can alter the results. Mine barely rubbed

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The taller the lift the higher the potential for hitting the corner of the tub. This is assuming that the axle is centered up in the wheel well post lift using adjustable arms.

The arms will need to be adjusted longer on a higher lift to center the axle. This leads to a longer arm that as the tire moves upward will swing in a radius that extends more towards the rear tub then a shorter arm length would.

I certainly don’t know this for fact, but I would guess most 2.5” lifts will clear and many 3.5” lifts will not. But even within that statement there are many variables that can alter the results. Mine barely rubbed
As a data point, I have a 2.5" lift and my 37" milestars in the rear barely clear(maybe by 1/16") the rear body when stuffing it. The rear axle is centered with upper adjustable arms I believe set at stock length and lower arms adjusted about 1/2" longer per RK recommendations.
Sponsored