More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Correct, you don’t need the longer shock and can easily use the shorter version but the longer shocks will work as well. I have longtravel Metal Cloak RockSports on my rig.
Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
What are you XR guys doing for front driveshafts with these long shocks?

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
You won’t notice a big difference in the control arms until you change shocks and springs. There will be a small difference, mainly you won’t bind up , may not be as much clunking, but the stock set up won’t let you articulate enough to get the full potential from new arms. Even the Recon. Also, after you increase articulation, I’d recommend getting new sway links if you’re gonna use the elect disco. A double heim works a lot better. If you’re getting new wheels, 4.5” bs will work better for RK arms if you go that route.

Do I think it’s worth doing? Sure, absolutely, your just making your rig better, and that’s always a good thing…..
X2

To the OP. FreedomFur. Your XR will give some lift, around 2 maybe a bit more. At that point you are stil inside the parameters of the JLUR. Unless want to dance outside of that then you don't NEED anymore adds.

FYI, your Rubi in Box Stock OEM format has more ability that you do as a driver. I don't mean this as a negative,

The 2003 TJR: The Jeep was engineered to be a rock crawler by Jeep. The metric was the Rubicon Trail. Jeep had to drive it in OEM with no ad ons of anyt kind. The is why its called a Rubicon! You JLR is just as capable as the orginial

Rubbing: I hear a LOT about it on the forum. I like rubbing but unlike most they trim their fenders before they mount the tires. WHY? Rubbing tells me I am at FULL STUFF and on which side I am. I trim post tire install a litle at time and I use spray paint to judge with. I want to BARELY rub the spray paint.

Think about it: At full stuff (with tires aired DOWN...duh, 3-5 psi for me) when I hear the rub, I know I am at full stuff, I also know I out of STUFF! This helps me adjust my line of approach because I always strive to have artiiculation in play. I am a techical rock crawler, I read the rocks and sounds of Jeep and adjust. Full Stuff tells me I need more articulation, move my line.

I keep telling secrets of the rocks!

Your Jeep, you wallet do it your way and will back you 100%

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
What are you XR guys doing for front driveshafts with these long shocks?
Should be ok to around 28" of shock travel.. after that.. you need an aftermarket one.. The XR gets you only so far..

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Ok, y'all - I just got done rigging mine up my front like nyglt56 has done. I used the longer Mopar LCA's, 1.5" Terraflex front spacers, and MetalCloak RockSport extended travel shocks. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the swaybar links and I was able to find a pair of 12" links from a buddy on loan for me to test with.

I'm on original XR 35" BFG's yet and didn't think I'd need to add any bumpstop yet, so I tried it in the ditch out front and I'm happy with it. Of course, the 12" links are too long, so after measuring, I'll be installing some that will be in the 9" to 10" range. Also, with the stock 35" BFG tires, no added bumpstop looks necessary. Eventually, I'll be putting on 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers and at that point, I'll add bumpstops as necessary.

I can confirm the factory XR springs are plenty long - still seated tightly at full droop in my testing. The longer LCA's may have helped with straight line driving a slight bit, It's a very small difference if any, but mine drove pretty good from the factory anyway.
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 20230323_152308
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 20230323_154532
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 20230323_154606

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ok, y'all - I just got done rigging mine up my front like nyglt56 has done. I used the longer Mopar LCA's, 1.5" Terraflex front spacers, and MetalCloak RockSport extended travel shocks. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the swaybar links and I was able to find a pair of 12" links from a buddy on loan for me to test with.

I'm on original XR 35" BFG's yet and didn't think I'd need to add any bumpstop yet, so I tried it in the ditch out front and I'm happy with it. Of course, the 12" links are too long, so after measuring, I'll be installing some that will be in the 9" to 10" range. Also, with the stock 35" BFG tires, no added bumpstop looks necessary. Eventually, I'll be putting on 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers and at that point, I'll add bumpstops as necessary.

I can confirm the factory XR springs are plenty long - still seated tightly at full droop in my testing. The longer LCA's may have helped with straight line driving a slight bit, It's a very small difference if any, but mine drove pretty good from the factory anyway.
Nice, you get all 30” on the droop side?

Edit, also keep an eye out for the shock body hitting the frame on full flex.

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Good point - I was mainly checking to make sure my brake/sensor lines were not stressed and springs were still seated. Never even thought to measure shock extension or for shock rubbing the frame. I'll check it this weekend.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
With the MC offset mount you get closer to 31" droop maybe more as it raises the shock a little.

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Finally got around to measuring today. I measured 29.5" extended shock length on the rocksport shocks. They have a shim on one side at the top to hold them further from the frame. At static, full extension, shock body comes within 3/8"of the frame. So, there's a chance it could rub when actually wheeling in the real world.

Other than that, stock XR springs still solidly seated, brake and sensor lines have enough slack and all looks good! The only other thing I have to do is get my Clayton adjustable links installed. (Currently on order). I'm pretty happy with it for not much cash spent!
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 20230327_170726
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 20230327_170824
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 20230327_170848

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Finally got around to measuring today. I measured 29.5" extended shock length on the rocksport shocks. They have a shim on one side at the top to hold them further from the frame. At static, full extension, shock body comes within 3/8"of the frame. So, there's a chance it could rub when actually wheeling in the real world.

Other than that, stock XR springs still solidly seated, brake and sensor lines have enough slack and all looks good! The only other thing I have to do is get my Clayton adjustable links installed. (Currently on order). I'm pretty happy with it for not much cash spent!
Great. Solid planning, love me a personally designed frankenlift.

Sponsored

Affroe

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan

Did you use any spacers in the rear?

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Did you use any spacers in the rear?
Not yet. I like the level stance right now, but will do rear spacers and bumpstops all around when I switch to 37" trail grapplers once the stock 35" BFG tires wear out.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
https://jksmfg.com/products/front-a...h-bump-stop-acos-wrangler-jl-and-gladiator-jt

This might be a solution for the XR package with a ton more adjustability.
Yeah - I know I'm replying to an old post.

But I was interested in these JKS ACOS things (just got a new 23 JLU Willys XR and the extra-long bump-stop just bugs me), so I researched this a little bit.

At first I thought these would require major fabrication. Nope. Essentially cut off a lower portion of the factory bump-stop tube, and these just slide right up. Here's a video (about 9 minutes long - a well done video). It is on the JKS Manufacturing Facebook page. If you have any interest in these ACOS things, please watch the video - it'll explain a lot:

Facebook

The ACOS starts out with a 1" lift, and can adjust to 3.5" lift. However, you can trim an inch (or more) off the threaded tube, so now you only have a 1" - 2.5" lift range, but you've shortened the bump-stop 1" on the ACOS (he goes over it in the video). I asked JKS how tall the whole assembly was, and their response was 9" - 10" (not really helpful JKS guys). The more you trim the threaded tube, the less additional adjustability beyond 1" you'd get.

I don't know how long, or how much longer the factory XR bump-stop is compared to a non-XR JL Jeep.

They sell a similar ACOS for the rear, but it starts at a 2" lift (2" - 4" adjustability). This one's bolt-on with minimal drilling.

Rear Adjustable Coil Spacers | Jeep Wrangler JL – JKS Manufacturing (jksmfg.com)

So if you wanted to do a mild lift (1" - 2"), trim the bump-stop length a bit, and/or you added a heavier bumper and winch up front and want to raise it back up, you could bring the front end back up (1" minimum to start - don't forget) with this ACOS. Then for the rear, a simple 0.5" to 1" (or greater) spacer to level it out. Add your flavor of shocks, Mopar LCAs (if you haven't already - I have), and essentially be done.

Somebody's going to mention track bars - that's a different discussion.

I've already got a tricked-out TJ for off-roading and overlanding. My new Willys JLU XR 2.0T is going to be my daily driver and mild overlanding vehicle. I'm good with the factory 4.56 & 35" tire combo. I have no plans on going to 37" tires or regearing, but eventually will put true-tracs front & rear, and different shocks (when these shocks wear out). But a mild lift and a little bit of additional flex - now we're talking.

Last edited:

Sahara4xeland

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport XR.

Hey my friend.

Can you still confirm you had no issues with this setup. ???
Planning on doing the exact same setup on my XR willys to get more flex. I am just afraid of the spring flying out. Front 1.5 spacers and rocksport shocks looks like the ticket to improve the suspension on a budget..

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can you still confirm you had no issues with this setup. ???
Planning on doing the exact same setup on my XR willys to get more flex. I am just afraid of the spring flying out. Front 1.5 spacers and rocksport shocks looks like the ticket to improve the suspension on a budget..
So far, so good. 👍 I will note that mine is a Rubicon with the 3.6 E torque - where yours is a 4xe Willys, so you may want to research whether you have the exact same springs as a 3.6 Rubicon XR. If they're not, I can't say for sure if it would work for you.

I maxed out each side with a hi-lift and sway bar disconnected to check for any interference (you will prolly need to bend your brake line bracket on the lower control arm upwards by hand to gain a little more play). Springs were still seated firmly. I've also wheeled a couple trails since then with no issues. The only other updated info I have since my last post is I got my Clayton Overland sway bar end links installed and set the eye to eye length at 10".

About 2,500 miles since the mod and it works and drives great!
Sponsored