More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Have a 2022 Rubi with the Xtreme Recon package inbound for Feb. chopping front and rear fenders and putting Artec inner front/rear liners in, so this should clear 37s (MT Baja Boss A/T).

Question for the group is assuming i have the tire clearance and no rubbing issues, can I get more flex out of the jeep by replacing all 8 control arms with MetalCloak or Rock Krawler arms?

Any downside to doing this besides potentially then getting tire rub? And if so, easy fix with a 1” Teraflex spacer front and rear?

May replace the factory shocks with a set of Foxes from Accutune, but want to drive it stock first.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Have a 2022 Rubi with the Xtreme Recon package inbound for Feb. chopping front and rear fenders and putting Artec inner front/rear liners in, so this should clear 37s (MT Baja Boss A/T).

Question for the group is assuming i have the tire clearance and no rubbing issues, can I get more flex out of the jeep by replacing all 8 control arms with MetalCloak or Rock Krawler arms?

Any downside to doing this besides potentially then getting tire rub? And if so, easy fix with a 1” Teraflex spacer front and rear?

May replace the factory shocks with a set of Foxes from Accutune, but want to drive it stock first.
You won’t notice a big difference in the control arms until you change shocks and springs. There will be a small difference, mainly you won’t bind up , may not be as much clunking, but the stock set up won’t let you articulate enough to get the full potential from new arms. Even the Recon. Also, after you increase articulation, I’d recommend getting new sway links if you’re gonna use the elect disco. A double heim works a lot better. If you’re getting new wheels, 4.5” bs will work better for RK arms if you go that route.

Do I think it’s worth doing? Sure, absolutely, your just making your rig better, and that’s always a good thing…..

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
You won’t notice a big difference in the control arms until you change shocks and springs. There will be a small difference, mainly you won’t bind up , may not be as much clunking, but the stock set up won’t let you articulate enough to get the full potential from new arms. Even the Recon. Also, after you increase articulation, I’d recommend getting new sway links if you’re gonna use the elect disco. A double heim works a lot better. If you’re getting new wheels, 4.5” bs will work better for RK arms if you go that route.

Do I think it’s worth doing? Sure, absolutely, your just making your rig better, and that’s always a good thing…..
I actually have double heim sway bar links from the ORO Swayloc system I am stripping off my JLU. I was going to hold off installing it on the new Rubi until I tried the e-disconnect. The XR package comes with wheels that have 4.4” of backspacing.

With that new info, do you think it is worth doing? Or just bite the bullet and go full MetalCloak or rock Krawler lift?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I actually have double heim sway bar links from the ORO Swayloc system I am stripping off my JLU. I was going to hold off installing it on the new Rubi until I tried the e-disconnect. The XR package comes with wheels that have 4.4” of backspacing.

With that new info, do you think it is worth doing? Or just bite the bullet and go full MetalCloak or rock Krawler lift?
If you want max articulation, you’ll need longer springs, and with that you’ll need track bars, etc… so yeah a full kit makes the most sense. MC and RK would be my recommendation, but as long as it’s a dual or triple rate spring so it will stay in place when drooping, without messing with limiting straps and the like……..here’s example of max articulation, can you imagine a factory control arm in this situation, you’d end up with a permanent twist in it. (Exaggeration) …….

Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package B7E806BD-287F-425C-9D26-B3FBD1CF2700

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Why don't you drive it and take it off road first so you can identify its weaknesses based on your specific use case ?
Hahaha, cause I am too damn excited and love planning builds out in advance. My best friend and fellow Jeep owner says the same thing.

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR

Doing a similar setup as you when my XR arrives. If you haven't bought the Artec rear liners yet I'd highly recommend checking out Nemesis. Unlike Artec, the Nemesis liners do not rely on the pinch seem for mounting so you can open the wheel for more tire clearance. So far I have Clayton control arms with Overland Plus joints, Clayton adjustable track bars, Nemesis rear liners, Fox front hydraulic bumps, AAL highline front fenders and inner liners. Going to wait until I have my new Jeep to see how much longer spring will actually be required. As for shocks I'm going with Fox 2.5 with DSC from Accutune. Wanting a low ride height this go around.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Chopping Rubicon fenders will gain about 3.5" in the front and 2-2.5" out back. That should clear 37's just fine on an otherwise stock Rubicon. I wouldn't be concerned with tire rub, as the factory suspension won't have enough articulation to offset the increased wheelwell clearance from the chop.

If you go the suspension lift route, determine whose springs you will go with and either use their shocks that are tuned to their springs or have Accutune put a set together that will match your specific build setup.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Chopping Rubicon fenders will gain about 3.5" in the front and 2-2.5" out back. That should clear 37's just fine on an otherwise stock Rubicon. I wouldn't be concerned with tire rub, as the factory suspension won't have enough articulation to offset the increased wheelwell clearance from the chop.

If you go the suspension lift route, determine whose springs you will go with and either use their shocks that are tuned to their springs or have Accutune put a set together that will match your specific build setup.
@FreedomFur
I would be concerned with the newly added front bumps on the XR limiting how much you can stuff tire. Just a thought reading through this thread. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Omotose

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Extreme Recon
I’m going to follow this. I have the same questions…

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
@FreedomFur
I would be concerned with the newly added front bumps on the XR limiting how much you can stuff tire. Just a thought reading through this thread. 🤷‍♂️
Should be easy to swap those out though.

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 1638541833372

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Should be easy to swap those out though.
This is what I was referencing. Prob change out rubber but the tower part (whatever you call it) has been extended as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 92FFB405-1C36-40B5-8480-794FCD45048D

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
This is what I was referencing. Prob change out rubber but the tower part (whatever you call it) has been extended as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package 92FFB405-1C36-40B5-8480-794FCD45048D
Jesus, there is no space there, what is that maybe an 1” or 2”? Why would they do that?

Think I should just plan to buy some different “towers” above the bump stops?
Sponsored