BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Stock 35” tires, stock bump stop height. Add a 2.5” Clayton Overland+ kit and Fox 2-3” lift length shocks and more flex room has been achieved! The control arms handle way more misalignment than the shock lengths allow so I’ll be taking full advantage of the longer shock lengths vs. stock. The lift has given me a 1st day up travel bump and lift of 2”, so hopefully around 1.5” after the springs settle.

Compression adjuster settings for stock springs are too stiff for these Clayton springs so it'll be a few days to get a new baseline established.
6D50C794-2D4F-4FBB-8AB0-9869BB31F8A3.jpeg
CC642CCE-83EE-4EAD-9E4E-664E5312D5EF.jpeg

A47BD8A8-C765-4DD7-A6BB-88767E380FE4.jpeg

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
My jeep is about 4 weeks out i think, so excited. Its 4’F right now in NH. Dying for warm weather to paint the beadlock rims and other parts.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Stock 35” tires, stock bump stop height. Add a 2.5” Clayton Overland+ kit and Fox 2-3” lift length shocks and more flex room has been achieved! The control arms handle way more misalignment than the shock lengths allow so I’ll be taking full advantage of the longer shock lengths vs. stock. The lift has given me a 1st day up travel bump and lift of 2”, so hopefully around 1.5” after the springs settle.

Compression adjuster settings for stock springs are too stiff for these Clayton springs so it'll be a few days to get a new baseline established.
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package A47BD8A8-C765-4DD7-A6BB-88767E380FE4
Jeep Wrangler JL More flex out of Rubi w. Xtreme Recon Package A47BD8A8-C765-4DD7-A6BB-88767E380FE4

i believe a 2.5" lift on the XR/392 models is the perfect level for the 35s. I only do moderate trails, so i don't see reason to go to 37s(for sake of wearing out other things and breaking stuff).

I'm looking at a 2.5" metalcloak GC just to have the articulation i want on 35s.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
i believe a 2.5" lift on the XR/392 models is the perfect level for the 35s. I only do moderate trails, so i don't see reason to go to 37s(for sake of wearing out other things and breaking stuff).

I'm looking at a 2.5" metalcloak GC just to have the articulation i want on 35s.
If you are OK with the shock and spring setup, then maybe just get the control arms?

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase

I agree that a 2.5” lift is where they need to be stock if you intend frequent your Jeep off the highway. For a stock vehicle keeping the lift to 1.5” allows Jeep to maintain a lower center of gravity and reuse existing Rubicon control arms and track bars. For a majority of the 392s out there that will see lite trail use at most, the stock configuration is ideal; road handling is excellent right off the showroom floor.

The extended jounce towers keep the 35” tires out of the fenders but limit up travel when combined with such a small lift as the factory uses. Compared to a standard Rubicon the Xtreme recon gives you more bump stop extension than it does spring height. Whether or not this limits the way you want to use the Jeep is highly personal.

I recommend you trail your XR enough until you determine exactly what characteristics you want to improve. Most people like to run larger tires after lifting but if I had done that I would be working directly against the goals I set out to achieve.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Coming from my JK that i ran a 2.5" metalcloak on, i plan to return to a 2.5", unless I go to 37s on this JL, then i'll run a 3.5.

The biggest debate is wear and tear on balljoints/shafts for going to 37s. I believe the housing is more than capable of handling 37s now, between the knuckles/tubes/Cs.

as far as offroad, it'll see the occasional trip(not many actual trails/ORVs in SC)

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Guess i'll go ahead and post this here since most here are all about the xtreme recon and/or 392.

I've been meaning to get the part number off the front axle and see what exactly is the difference.

If you look at actual build sheets, the xtreme recon is the only one that shows as "Wide HD Tube" on a build sheet. I've been looking at multiple build sheets on this thread.

I've looked at Rubicons, 4XE & Rubicon Gladiators.(can't find a mojave yet, I have a VIN i'm waiting to hear back on)

Extreme recon is the only one that lists as "Dana M210 Wide HD Tube Front Axle" (mine is listed as "pathos" if you want to do some research yourself).

Until someone throws RCVs/cromos in it, we won't know the actual dimensions. I think this extreme recon is alot beefier than we thought.

I've even looked at a 392 Rubicon with the extreme recon package, it lists the front axle as only the M210 Wide, not HD Tube. Here is that 392 https://cryptostickers.net/Details.html?nick=MicrobeMan

https://cryptostickers.net/Default.html?scope=complete

Curious to see what others think.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Guess i'll go ahead and post this here since most here are all about the xtreme recon and/or 392.

I've been meaning to get the part number off the front axle and see what exactly is the difference.

If you look at actual build sheets, the xtreme recon is the only one that shows as "Wide HD Tube" on a build sheet. I've been looking at multiple build sheets on this thread.

I've looked at Rubicons, 4XE & Rubicon Gladiators.(can't find a mojave yet, I have a VIN i'm waiting to hear back on)

Extreme recon is the only one that lists as "Dana M210 Wide HD Tube Front Axle" (mine is listed as "pathos" if you want to do some research yourself).

Until someone throws RCVs/cromos in it, we won't know the actual dimensions. I think this extreme recon is alot beefier than we thought.

I've even looked at a 392 Rubicon with the extreme recon package, it lists the front axle as only the M210 Wide, not HD Tube. Here is that 392 https://cryptostickers.net/Details.html?nick=MicrobeMan

https://cryptostickers.net/Default.html?scope=complete

Curious to see what others think.
@oceanblue2019 has installed RCVs on Rubi XR and confirmed thicker tube walls on front axle that taper at end so RCVs were same.
Also confirmed on 392 FB page all 392s come with HD front axle.

Sponsored

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
@oceanblue2019 has installed RCVs on Rubi XR and confirmed thicker tube walls on front axle that taper at end so RCVs were same.
Also confirmed on 392 FB page all 392s come with HD front axle.

curious if they're thicker than the typical 10MM they were using on Rubis. Glad to hear 392s also got the HD axle, build spec sheets just specifically state HD tube for xtreme recons. Guessing it just reads differently on the 392, which makes sense. I'll go through oceans posts and read into it. Thanks.

Edit: To bad he didn't measure the ID difference to find out the total wall.

Last edited:

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
curious if they're thicker than the typical 10MM they were using on Rubis. Glad to hear 392s also got the HD axle, build spec sheets just specifically state HD tube for xtreme recons. Guessing it just reads differently on the 392, which makes sense. I'll go through oceans posts and read into it. Thanks.

Edit: To bad he didn't measure the ID difference to find out the total wall.
Pretty sure they are 10MM, same as all other HD thicker walled tubes. I believe standard Rubi are 7.3MM.

Bragz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlu
Have a 2022 Rubi with the Xtreme Recon package inbound for Feb. chopping front and rear fenders and putting Artec inner front/rear liners in, so this should clear 37s (MT Baja Boss A/T).

Question for the group is assuming i have the tire clearance and no rubbing issues, can I get more flex out of the jeep by replacing all 8 control arms with MetalCloak or Rock Krawler arms?

Any downside to doing this besides potentially then getting tire rub? And if so, easy fix with a 1” Teraflex spacer front and rear?

May replace the factory shocks with a set of Foxes from Accutune, but want to drive it stock first.
You will get more articulation over the stock control arms by replacing them yes. But 37" on a stock height Rubi your going to stuff your tires on just a little flexing even with a fender chop. Your bump stops are another issue trying to achieve full articulation.. It's more than just adding control arms on the jeep. You need to add a lower control arm drop bracket to align your axle geometry back up so you can maintain the stock driving characteristic.

IMG_20211217_095159927.jpg

IMG_20211217_095033206.jpg

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
You will get more articulation over the stock control arms by replacing them yes. But 37" on a stock height Rubi your going to stuff your tires on just a little flexing even with a fender chop. Your bump stops are another issue trying to achieve full articulation.. It's more than just adding control arms on the jeep. You need to add a lower control arm drop bracket to align your axle geometry back up so you can maintain the stock driving characteristic.

IMG_20211217_095159927.jpg

IMG_20211217_095033206.jpg
Nice Jeep! I'd start with shocks before control arms. The factory shocks are not very long which means your droop is not much. You want to change out to longer shocks to increase droop, which increases flex. Mind you, careful here, with stock springs and only increase by an inch or two.

Not discounting up travel. That is huge two but we've already determined that the bump towers on these things is nuts.
Sponsored

Last edited: