Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What did you end up setting your pinion angle at? I ended up getting a metalcloak 3.5” game changer.
Pinion angle is fixed to caster angle, so set the latter to 6-6.5° and your good to go. That'll give you the best overall steering and handling characteristics, without ending up with to much pinion angle and potential driveshaft bind or vibration.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Pinion angle is fixed to caster angle, so set the latter to 6-6.5° and your good to go. That'll give you the best overall steering and handling characteristics, without ending up with to much pinion angle and potential driveshaft bind or vibration.
Appreciate the correction. Caster is what I meant.

LuckyShooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
That should clear 37's just fine on an otherwise stock Rubicon. I wouldn't be concerned with tire rub, as the factory suspension won't have enough articulation to offset the increased wheelwell clearance from the chop.
Had this exact setup on my rubicon before I installed a lift, rubbed ALL the time on road... off road was a joke.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to beat coilovers.

that Evi long arm kit with coilerovers that Way-a-life had installed is really badass.

the 6pak shocks are pretty nifty too but the lack of serviceability scares me. Especially for that price. Plus how much up travel can you really get?
The 6-packs are rebuildable, but do need to be sent back to the mothership. And they have top and bottom Schrader valves for checking and maintaining 150psi of nitrogen.

The benefit of the 6-packs over conventional shocks is their very short collapsed length. This isn't meant to increase uptravel, as that is limited by how much the tire can be stuffed. It's pairing them with front upper shock mounting brackets that lower them by about 2-2.5". That dimension gets added to its 30ish" extended length, which helps it achieve an incredible amount of droop without the downside of the longer shock body of an equivalent length conventional shock that would need added bumpstop to not bottom out when stuffed. The rear 6-packs get lower mounting brackets that raise the shock. This accomplishes the same function, with the added benefit of being able to trim a couple of inches off of the factory shock mount which gains ground clearance. They are essentially closing the performance gap between standard springs/shocks and coilovers.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Had this exact setup on my rubicon before I installed a lift, rubbed ALL the time on road... off road was a joke.
I should've expanded into the various gray levels with different offset wheels. 37's on factory wheels would definitely want to eat everything in the wheelwells.

Sponsored

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I am not trying to be snarky here. I thought I understood wheel offset and backspacing but maybe I am missing part of the calculation?

8" wide wheel / 2 = 4.0"
12mm offset from wheel centerline = 0.472"
Backspacing = centerline + offset = 4.0 + 0.472 = 4.472"

Where does the extra 0.5" come from in that calculator?
There is a difference in wheel mounting width and actual width. Wheel mounting width is to the bevel, when you account for lip to lip, the wheel should measure larger than the 8", which is where the extra half inch of backspace is coming from.

I believe the correct backspacing is the 4.97" or close to it.

Jeepeto is running the GC kit without issues due to shock location. And I don't think he's using spacers. Also, for the mopar beadlocks, from what I've heard, there are two different ones. One has a more positive offset.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
There is a difference in wheel mounting width and actual width. Wheel mounting width is to the bevel, when you account for lip to lip, the wheel should measure larger than the 8", which is where the extra half inch of backspace is coming from.

I believe the correct backspacing is the 4.97" or close to it.

Jeepeto is running the GC kit without issues due to shock location. And I don't think he's using spacers. Also, for the mopar beadlocks, from what I've heard, there are two different ones. One has a more positive offset.
@Jeepeto did you use the relocation brackets with your rocksport shocks and sway bars?

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Northridge also stating mopar says its one thing, and the actual measurement is another. I believe mopars given specs are incorrect for backspacing. Which wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer did that

Screenshot_20220109-184358_Chrome.jpg

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Jeepeto did you use the relocation brackets with your rocksport shocks and sway bars?
Yes on both, although I changed the front sway bars to the Rock Crawler No Limits Sway Bar Links, as they look to be better suited for articulation. Not sure if it's necessary, but they are very nice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Yes on both, although I changed the front sway bars to the Rock Crawler No Limits Sway Bar Links, as they look to be better suited for articulation. Not sure if it's necessary, but they are very nice.
running the factory mopar wheels still?

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Sorry if this was already answered, but do we know if the XR (non 392) comes with longer front lower control arms? Or are they the same length as other rubicons?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if this was already answered, but do we know if the XR (non 392) comes with longer front lower control arms? Or are they the same length as other rubicons?
Same as every other Wrangler. Still can’t believe they don’t at least add longer on all Rubicons