Sponsored

Morar and Teraflex lift questions for my new JL

4x4inthe6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Hey guys,

First time Jeep owner and first post here on the Forum. I run a mountain bike forum and value just how helpful a community like this can be. So, thanks in advance for your knowledge and guidance with my build. I’m a newb, but hope to learn and help others as some of you will help me here today.

My first Jeep is a 2021 Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon. I’m obviously super stoked. The vehicle will be used primarily for overlanding, going on mountain bike adventures and getting into some more remote spots(lost).

I currently have an iKamper Skycamp 2.0 RTT, which I will be transferring over from my Forester. I’ll be using the Rhino Rack crossbars, as they seem to have the best dynamic load rating. I’d love to go with Gobi but lead times and customer service seem unreliable. Maybe down the road. I’ll also be adding a Warn winch. My build will come with the steel bumper group. These will be the main items included in my daily, static weight. Bikes, hitch and camping gear will be added depending on the adventure. I may add a fridge and other goodies down the road but this is the stuff that will for sure be carried regularly, for now.

Now for the fun stuff!

I’m confident the stock Rubicon would suit me just fine. However, I know that as I go on these adventures, I will inevitable want to explore further and push the limits. With the items mentioned above, I think she’ll sit much lower than on the showroom floor. I don’t expect I will do much rock-crawling or mudding but I don’t want to shy away from a challenging trail. Rather, seek them out. I do plan to get off-road a bunch but will ease into it. Reliability is my number one concern as my goal will be remoteness.

I am considering either the Mopar 2.5” factory lift or the Teraflex ST3 3.5” lift with 3.3 Falcon shocks.

I’ve read mixed reviews on the Mopar lift – spring bowing, harsh ride etc. There aren’t much if any, real-world, off-road reviews. I’d love to hear some of your feedback on this lift. Most issues seem to be due to the fact that the lift is incomplete and requires additional components to get it dialed. So going this route, I would also need:
  • Adjustable track bar – front and rear
  • Spring correction perches (though new perches seem ok)
  • ¾ inch spring spacers
  • Control arm relocation brackets

Have others invested in the Mopar lift and pushed it off-road? Once the camber and pinion is correct, is it a solid option? Are you happy with the performance?

The Teraflex lift in comparison, is complete and well thought out. I like that both of these solutions are not very intrusive, with no welding or serious modifications required. The Teraflex installation does require some drilling for the track bar relocation I believe. It’s not clear to me what is getting drilled though; the frame or a bracket. I’m ok with a bracket, which can be replaced, but I don’t want the frame drilled into if possible. Can someone help me understand this better please?

I would also like some help understanding if this lift might be better using adjustable track bars and control arms vs brackets and stock arms. Something like a Steer Smart adjustable track bar would allow me to relocate the track bar without drilling and be stronger than stock. Aftermarket control arms would have better made joints and allow more articulation. I’m not a fan of bushings. I think I would still use the control arm mounting brackets from the lift as I imagine the lift is engineered around this arm placement. I suppose the control arms would not need to be adjustable, just better made with better engineered, serviceable joints.

I’ve read up a bit on the pros and cons of short vs long-arm lifts. The part that I’m still confused about is whether using the factory arms, with a relocation bracket, makes it a long-arm lift? I’ve also been looking at the ST3 lift with full Alpine Control Arms, but this is described as a short-arm lift. I believe I would be best suited with a long-arm lift? I’d appreciate some help with this. Seems as though the arms are the same length (stock length) for both kits and that the only difference is that the kits with Alpine arms bolt directly to the original locations. So in essence would ride similar to the Mopar lift, minus shocks and height? I’m sure I’m missing something very basic here but have to ask.

I am considering the Teraflex Nomad rims as well if go the Teraflex route. They look great but would appreciate some other suggestions. I will be sticking with 35’s at first but I like that the ST3 kit would allow me to upgrade to 37’s down the road, when I am ready to look at gearing, bigger brakes etc. If I’m honest, and I’m sure most of you will cringe, I don’t like the look of the aggressive backspacing. I don’t mind a bit, but prefer a nearly flush wheel. This, along with not having to buy new rims, is one of the reasons I am still considering the Mopar lift. Cold it be made to feel as good as the Teraflex lift?

Thanks is advance for all the help. It’s much appreciated.

Happy holidays, stay safe and happy wheeling!
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you are going to load down the Rubi you might want a lift designed for the load/overland type builds. With the Rubicon you wouldn't need a 3.5" lift to clear 37's, I have 2.5" Teraflex springs running 35's and have plenty of room to upgrade. If you are contemplating the ST3 lift then you are looking at a considerable budget. In that ballpark you should consider the Clayton 2.5" Overland with some Fox shocks, or the MetalCloak Gamechanger with the Rocksports. JKS, AEV and OME all offer lifts that are designed for the extra weight of the overland build as well. The JKS and OME are a little more complete.
With the Rubicon you will NEED caster correction in the form of upper and/or lower control arms, to keep flighty steering at bay. From the consensus on the forum the fixed arms in the Mopar kit aren't the best for Rubicon. The Teraflex springs I have are comfortable on road but I'm not sure they would suit your weight requirements. In the end it's your money and your backside has to be happy.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I run a 2 door with 37s, factory wheel, no spacers and the Mopar lift. I’ve run many challenging trails here in Colorado and Utah with this setup and it performs flawlessly. There are better kits out there. I used RK spring pads and some extra 3/4“ spacers in the front. my Jeep is pretty heavy and I didn’t get but a little less than 2” of lift out of the Mopar kit. The shocks are the shiny part of this kit. They ride amazing on and off-road.

Don’t be afraid of it, but honestly for the price point I would look at Synergy, Metalcloak or RK. I’m not a fan of Terraflex but many are. They are really good at marketing but their Chinese parts are no comparison for good USA made components. Not even close. Wouldn’t even be anywhere on my radar. The Mopar kit wins out between the two you mentioned.

The lower control arms with the Mopar kit should be enough to correct caster but it really depends on how heavy your Jeep will be. If you have plastic bumpers and no winch with factory skids, you’ll most likely get 3” or more of lift. That’s pretty standard across most aftermarket springs. Most are made with the assumption you will add weight to your Jeep, which in turn will give you close to advertised lift.

I added a rear TB relocation bracket to correct roll center, which in turn centered the axle. I didn’t notice any difference in ride. Axles being off center aren’t a big deal unless you have OCD. I personally wouldn’t spend money on adjustable TBs unless you want to.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Welcome to the Jeep community.
The roof rack and IKAMPER plus other modes will put you on the heavy side. At the very least top heavy. I would check out AEV or ARB for suspension. Both companies make kits for heavier type set-ups.