flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have the black stock steel rims that came on my 2-door Sport, and although I'm not worried about anyone stealing them off my axles, the spare tire is an easy target. Since the dealer threw in a set of MOPAR (McGard) wheel locks, I felt it was worth using one for the spare. However, the instructions for the wheel locks clearly advise that they should not be used for the spare tire, but don't say why. I can't understand this when the lock fits and functions just fine on a spare tire lug, but just curious if anyone has an idea why the instructions advise not to use it for this purpose. Appreciate everyone's thoughts and recommendations as always.
Sponsored

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Mopar wheel locks for Wrangler come with five locks -one for spare specifically.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
... However, the instructions for the wheel locks clearly advise that they should not be used for the spare tire, but don't say why...
Can you post a picture or document # for reference? ^

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I can't understand this when the lock fits and functions just fine on a spare tire lug, but just curious if anyone has an idea why the instructions advise not to use it for this purpose. Appreciate everyone's thoughts and recommendations as always.
The only thing I can think of, is that the spare requires a different torque setting than the other wheels. So perhaps the thought is that would prevent the wheel lock from being able to work properly. I think it's BS. I run a Gorilla lock on my spare without issue.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have been running the Mopar wheel lock on my spare for a year + / torqued to 59 ft/lbs with no issues at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been running the Mopar wheel lock on my spare for a year + / torqued to 59 ft/lbs with no issues at all.
OK good...that's exactly what I've been doing for the last few weeks and have had no issues thus far. Is the rim on your spare steel or alloy?

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar wheel locks for Wrangler come with five locks -one for spare specifically.
Thanks, Erin. Perhaps the set they gave you is different, but mine and all others I've seen have five identical wheel locks. Plus, given the advisement to not install them on the spare, it wouldn't make sense for the set to have one specifically for that purpose anyway.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you post a picture or document # for reference? ^
Here's the instruction sheet for the wheel locks. The note about the spare wheels is at the far bottom right in boldface.
Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR Wheel Lock for Spare Wheel Lock Instructions

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Here's the instruction sheet for the wheel locks. The note about the spare wheels is at the far bottom right in boldface.
Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR Wheel Lock for Spare Wheel Lock Instructions
Ah, ok. Yeah, the intention there is to let people know not to use the lock without a tapered hole in the wheel for factory spare steel wheels. If the steel wheels you’re using in your Jeep will accept the same tapered angle as the factory wheel lugnut, then you’ll be fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, ok. Yeah, the intention there is to let people know not to use the lock without a tapered hole in the wheel for factory spare steel wheels. If the steel wheels you’re using in your Jeep will accept the same tapered angle as the factory wheel lugnut, then you’ll be fine.
Totally makes sense, but if the wheels on the axles didn't accept a tapered lug nut, then I'd think they'd have to address that too, as it would be a much greater concern. Seems odd that they'd address the issue only when the wheel is being used as a spare. I don't get it, but then again, we're dealing with FCA, Steallantis, whatever...enough said.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

My 2021 came with the wheel lock on the spare from the factory...

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Mine too although I have installed the black Gorrilias.

G.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I experienced this on an old one ton that someone had outfitted with junk yard wheels that weren't mounted properly. If you have conical lug nuts, and they don't interface with your wheels correctly, you have bigger problems than whether or not a wheel lock will fit.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I have the black stock steel rims that came on my 2-door Sport, and although I'm not worried about anyone stealing them off my axles, the spare tire is an easy target. Since the dealer threw in a set of MOPAR (McGard) wheel locks, I felt it was worth using one for the spare. However, the instructions for the wheel locks clearly advise that they should not be used for the spare tire, but don't say why. I can't understand this when the lock fits and functions just fine on a spare tire lug, but just curious if anyone has an idea why the instructions advise not to use it for this purpose. Appreciate everyone's thoughts and recommendations as always.
I use one.
Sponsored