Mopar tailgate reinforcement removal

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you’re just moving to the ACE carrier, you won’t need the stock bolts. The ACE carrier will come with its own. My suggestion would be to go ahead and get the ACE carrier, verify I’m not losing my memory, and sell the Mopar with the current (longer) bolts that you already have mounted.

If I am indeed losing my mind and the ACE doesn’t come with the bolts, hit me up and I’ll measure the size and thread pitch of the originals.
Sponsored

FLECK-5

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Mopar kit works great with 37’s. I had mine painted before it was installed.

0BA2B271-8451-4070-A4F6-F56D236D9626.jpeg

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I don't have the reinforcement, but I studied the option carefully while considering what options I wanted on my JLUR. (I decided I didn't need it for stock Rubi tires, and it is expensive [no, over-priced] for just "looks.")

If you look at the installation instructions for the reinforcement, its mounts directly against the painted tailgate. Unless there is some cushioning inherent on the underside of the reinforcement, you may have scratches and/or indentations into the paint. That might mean repainting the tailgate. At least Sting Grey will be easier to match than a metallic color.

I'll upload the copy of instructions I have; it is about a year old, so things may have changed.

Was your Wrangler's tailgate reinforcement dealer-installed or "factory option" per the configurator? If installed at the factory, the dealer may not have the stock-length bolts readily at hand. Note that on Wranglers delivered without the reinforcement, the stock tailgate bolts are painted body color, probably with the entire vehicle. If the dealer has to order new tailgate bolts, they may be black or silver or primer-coated.

I understand your interest in the more robust carrier; the weak point of the MOPAR reinforcement is that it uses the stock hinges.

If you decide to maybe keep the MOPAR reinforcement, note that larger tires require a repositioning bracket that moves the existing lug position upward and outward. I've uploaded its instructions as well. Since you've already paid for the MOPAR reinforcement in the price of your vehicle, buying just the repositioning bracket might be cost-attractive.

I hope my comments help your getting to that finished installation!

MH
I had the reinforcement on for several months, took it off. There were no scratch marks at all. My JLUR is white.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had the reinforcement on for several months, took it off. There were no scratch marks at all. My JLUR is white.
I had mine on for about 8 months before taking it off. No scratches, but the spacers left a noticeable impression. I don’t care too much as I now have the ACE carrier and you can’t see it, but it is there.

Maybe it shows more on black (my Jeep) than white?
Sponsored