NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Hi all,

Has anyone else with an XR package JLU or those of you who have added the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit experience an annoying creaking sound? My XR has right at 500 miles, on the 150+ mile drive home I heard no sounds but 2 weeks later it’s a damn near constant hitting any sort of bump or dip in the road.

Normally I’d take it to my local dealer given how new the vehicle is however my local dealership service team is abysmal and treats you like shit when they determine you didn’t buy your Jeep from them.

EDIT: 2 of 4 torx screws not torqued properly. All is quiet again after 15 minutes of effort. Spent more time researching a potential issue than actually solving it.

Attached is a video.

thanks!

Sponsored

Last edited:

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
I have the hinge gate reinforcement. No rattle carrying a 35” but had to add an additional spare tire spacer when the rear bumper was replaced so maybe it got tightened up when spacer was added

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
MIne's dead quiet- does not do that.

OP
OP
NChap89

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
did you check the torque on the bolts ?
Actually just found the instructions online, appears it should be 35lbs. I would hope the factory would check this… maybe not. I’ll check tonight. Thanks!

Sponsored

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon; 2021 JLU Sahara
Mine was squeaking recently and I found a bolt was loose - fixed the problem

OP
OP
NChap89

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Mine was squeaking recently and I found a bolt was loose - fixed the problem
Good to know, hoping it’s simple. Thanks!

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Yeah, definitely sounds like something isn’t tightened up all the way.

PBosch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
Hi all,

Has anyone else with an XR package JLU or those of you who have added the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit experience an annoying creaking sound? My XR has right at 500 miles, on the 150+ mile drive home I heard no sounds but 2 weeks later it’s a damn near constant hitting any sort of bump or dip in the road.

Normally I’d take it to my local dealer given how new the vehicle is however my local dealership service team is abysmal and treats you like shit when they determine you didn’t buy your Jeep from them.

Attached is a video.

thanks!
I have a 2021 JLUR XR and there is no sound what so ever, rock solid. Seems like someone left something out during the build/install of that reinforcement kit. Great video, it really helped to see/hear what was up.

OP
OP
NChap89

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I have a 2021 JLUR XR and there is no sound what so ever, rock solid. Seems like someone left something out during the build/install of that reinforcement kit. Great video, it really helped to see/hear what was up.
Appreciate your feedback! I’ll re-torque everything and see what happens.

Sponsored

kansasboy91

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Mine does it too sometimes, I had several loose bolts. Tighten them in a cross pattern and… it still creeks but, less. It seems like it’s on the top hinge.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The correct way to retorque is to back the fasteners off first and with a nice smooth movement (fastener must turn as opposed to the torque wrench immediately clicking), turn the fastener until the torque wrench indicates the proper torque setting is reached.

I added some low strength purple thread locker to clean threads when I installed my Mopar tailgate reinforcement. Not a peep out of it after 20k miles over all kinds of terrain. My hard top does the creaking here and there.

OP
OP
NChap89

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
The correct way to retorque is to back the fasteners off first and with a nice smooth movement (fastener must turn as opposed to the torque wrench immediately clicking), turn the fastener until the torque wrench indicates the proper torque setting is reached.

I added some low strength purple thread locker to clean threads when I installed my Mopar tailgate reinforcement. Not a peep out of it after 20k miles over all kinds of terrain. My hard top does the creaking here and there.
Thank you for your input. I’ll keep this mind.