Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
140374B9-6A7C-45D0-A5B9-028FDDCB0663.jpeg
462CD010-E94D-4F88-8916-79E472738501.jpeg

You need the FireStik FireRing cable and FireRing stud:
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm
You will have to replace the bolt that comes with the stud with a stainless steel 3/8-24 1.5 inch bolt (I got mine from Lowe’s). I had to drill out the hole in my bracket with a 1/2 inch bit because the bottom of the hole was not quite a 1/2 inch, either from excessive powder coat or casting deficiency, so the white, nylon bushing on the fire ring cable would fit inside, insulating, while allowing the copper metal ring contact with the bracket for ground. It is also important to scrape off all coating on the bottom of the mounting hole to achieve that ground. The reinforcement bracket is aluminum, so you don’t have to be concerned with corrosion and it is not visible once the cable is installed. You will probably need to use some persuasion or manipulation to get the FireRing cable to seat properly because of the shape underneath the hole. I eased the edge on one side of the black plastic ring with some sand paper. After all that, though, I got SWR readings around 1.2 for all channels.
Thanks cdq for the great write up. This is exactly what I was looking for to mount a cb antenna on my new JL. Many thanks!!!
Sponsored

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler

You will have to replace the bolt that comes with the stud with a stainless steel 3/8-24 1.5 inch bolt (I got mine from Lowe’s). I had to drill out the hole in my bracket with a 1/2 inch bit because the bottom of the hole was not quite a 1/2 inch, either from excessive powder coat or casting deficiency, so the white, nylon bushing on the fire ring cable would fit inside, insulating, while allowing the copper metal ring contact with the bracket for ground. It is also important to scrape off all coating on the bottom of the mounting hole to achieve that ground. The reinforcement bracket is aluminum, so you don’t have to be concerned with corrosion and it is not visible once the cable is installed. You will probably need to use some persuasion or manipulation to get the FireRing cable to seat properly because of the shape underneath the hole. I eased the edge on one side of the black plastic ring with some sand paper. After all that, though, I got SWR readings around 1.2 for all channels.
Fantastic! Thank you! I love the clean install!

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've resisted the urge to install an antenna for my Midland 75-822 quite frankly because I think CBs suck. The only reason I need on is because I will be wheeling in Moab again. And, we all know the old folks don't want to switch to VHF radios.

Question: How well does your CB work with this set up? In other words, what type of range do you have and what CB are you using? I have the reinforcement bracket so this is exactly what I would do.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just got all my parts in and I'm scratching my head wondering how you got the 1 1/2" stainless steel bolt to fit with the lock washer installed. You mentioned you drilled out the hole to 1/2" and you ground off the paint below the hole but I'm still not seeing how its going to work. I might suggest, for those that are doing this install as well, to use a 2" bolt to make your life easier and if you need to grind that down a bit, so be it.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great write up. I am going with the Uniden CMX 760 but wanted a clean install using the Mopar reinforcement hinge. Appreciate the links which saved me time.

Sponsored

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red

Are you happy with the Spring and the quick connect?
I need the quick connect as well but do not want to much whip action on rough trails.

cdq34

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 JKUR
Are you happy with the Spring and the quick connect?
I need the quick connect as well but do not want to much whip action on rough trails.
I am. The spring protects the antenna from snapping when it gets caught on a low branch and it really doesn’t whip around during normal driving.

cdq34

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 JKUR
Just got all my parts in and I'm scratching my head wondering how you got the 1 1/2" stainless steel bolt to fit with the lock washer installed. You mentioned you drilled out the hole to 1/2" and you ground off the paint below the hole but I'm still not seeing how its going to work. I might suggest, for those that are doing this install as well, to use a 2" bolt to make your life easier and if you need to grind that down a bit, so be it.
I didn’t have any issue with the 1.5 inch bolt being long enough. For me, a 2 inch bolt was too long.

cdq34

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 JKUR
I've resisted the urge to install an antenna for my Midland 75-822 quite frankly because I think CBs suck. The only reason I need on is because I will be wheeling in Moab again. And, we all know the old folks don't want to switch to VHF radios.

Question: How well does your CB work with this set up? In other words, what type of range do you have and what CB are you using? I have the reinforcement bracket so this is exactly what I would do.
I have a Cobra 75 WX ST and it works fine for trail riding but, honestly, I use GMRS mostly now because that is what the group I normally ride with prefer. I’m glad I have both options, though.

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red

Sponsored

cdq34

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 JKUR
I did purchase and return the Spring.At highway speeds (80MPH)and installed on the top Hinge with a 4' Firestick it flexed allot 15"-18inches from the back of the Jeep.
I also had 2 defective Firestick Quick-connects so bought this one and it is much stronger
https://www.amazon.com/Accessories-...s+unlimited+auqdd&qid=1571838423&sr=8-1-fkmr0
41G0nExKu3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Maybe it is because I have a 3’ Firestick and possibly a stiffer spring. I know Firestick makes a “Medium Duty” and a “Heavy Duty” spring and they recommend that every antenna should have a spring. I actually got mine from a local CB shop, so I don’t know the brand, but it has a copper wire inside the spring, attached to the threaded nuts on each end to improve grounding. I know that doesn’t have anything to do with the flex, but it is a pretty substantial spring, like the Heavy Duty Firestick one. I haven’t had any issues with the quick-connect, and this is the second one I have purchased, the first being for a different Jeep. I don’t know how or why it would need to be any stronger, but I am glad you found something that works for you. The only thing I would say is be careful measuring the flex of your antenna while traveling 80 mph :LOL:

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR

When you scrape off all the coating on the bottom of the mounting hole, are you talking where the fire ring will touch the bottom of the mounting hole, or also scrape off inside the mounting hole towards the bottom?

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
When you scrape off all the coating on the bottom of the mounting hole, are you talking where the fire ring will touch the bottom of the mounting hole, or also scrape off inside the mounting hole towards the bottom?
What is everyone getting as an SWR reading mounting this way? I'm running firestik heavy duty spring, quick disconnect, firefly 3ft antenna (about a foot over top of vehicle), removed all coating on the bottom of the reinforcement hole and I'm getting SWR readings of 1.9 on 1 and 40 and 1.0-1.1 on 20. Wondering if I should be trying to get this lower?

Furthermore, I'm wondering if I should run a grounding strap to try to get the SWR lower? If so, where in the antenna stack of firering, washers, etc. should I place it, and when I route it into the vehicle is there a place internal to the tailgate when I take off the superficial plastic trim that I can mount it to, or do I need to run it through the braided cable and tear open the trim on passenger side looking for a ground point.

Any advice on my current SWR, as well as, on how to run ground strap or known location that I can ground it on would be appreciated; assuming you think that would help my SWR.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
What is everyone getting as an SWR reading mounting this way? I'm running firestik heavy duty spring, quick disconnect, firefly 3ft antenna (about a foot over top of vehicle), removed all coating on the bottom of the reinforcement hole and I'm getting SWR readings of 1.9 on 1 and 40 and 1.0-1.1 on 20. Wondering if I should be trying to get this lower?

Furthermore, I'm wondering if I should run a grounding strap to try to get the SWR lower? If so, where in the antenna stack of firering, washers, etc. should I place it, and when I route it into the vehicle is there a place internal to the tailgate when I take off the superficial plastic trim that I can mount it to, or do I need to run it through the braided cable and tear open the trim on passenger side looking for a ground point.

Any advice on my current SWR, as well as, on how to run ground strap or known location that I can ground it on would be appreciated; assuming you think that would help my SWR.

You probably aren't going to get it any lower. The bandwidth curve is pretty indicative of a short loaded antenna. A longer antenna would bring the SWR on 1 and 40 down more, the longer the antenna the lower it will be.

A braided ground strap never hurts. You can attached it to one of the mounting bolts as long as it has a good connection and the connect the other end to the tub/body of the Jeep, there should be a bolt close by to attach it to.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
You probably aren't going to get it any lower. The bandwidth curve is pretty indicative of a short loaded antenna. A longer antenna would bring the SWR on 1 and 40 down more, the longer the antenna the lower it will be.

A braided ground strap never hurts. You can attached it to one of the mounting bolts as long as it has a good connection and the connect the other end to the tub/body of the Jeep, there should be a bolt close by to attach it to.
Thanks for the insight. On a whim I order a 4ft and 5ft antenna on Amazon last night and going to test with those and see if I can get a better SWR, and then if so I may forgo the ground strap. If I’m still not happy then I may install. I don’t have patience to pull everything apart again unless really needed.

When you say mounting bolt does that mean I could put it on the bolt holding the full setup in the order from bottom to top? Bolt, ground strap, firering, hole in rack, plastic washer, metal washer, clamping washer, spring, quick disconnect.
Sponsored