Mopar tailgate reinforcement and CB antenna mount

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
When you say mounting bolt does that mean I could put it on the bolt holding the full setup in the order from bottom to top? Bolt, ground strap, firering, hole in rack, plastic washer, metal washer, clamping washer, spring, quick disconnect.
I meant the bolt that attaches the mount itself to the tailgate. As long as the firering shield (ground) has a good connection to the mount itself then connecting the braid to the bolt that holds the mount to the tailgate would work. Really you could probably get away with just connecting the tailgate itself to the body with a ground strap as long as the antenna mount itself has a good contact with the metal of the tailgate.
But given the SWR, try it without it.
Sponsored

cshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL 2019
It is just under 91” from ground to tip of the antenna with 35” KM3 tires and no lift. The antenna is above the roof line about 16”. My garage opening is almost 95” tall. If your garage is not tall enough, the quick disconnect will allow you to easily remove the antenna prior to pulling in the garage.

703231ED-2601-4213-A6BE-25F13A7A4B7F.jpeg

4051C014-6539-4CD0-A7A5-17A1697F6268.jpeg

8B156F1A-14D4-40E8-8308-46B881F0EF00.jpeg
where can i get the red ball ?

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do yourself a favor and scrap that overpriced POS. I had one and they are crap. Replace it with something like a Rustys Tire Carrier or CavFab, EVO, etc... I replace my Mopar crap with a Rustys Carrier and created a small bracket on top of it to house my VHF/UHF antenna and a space for a flag.

Linus

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR
Hi all, to improve GND I drilled a 5mm hole in the Mopar tailgate and installed a M4 bushing. Then routed a cable from that point to the chassis.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar tailgate reinforcement and CB antenna mount IMG_3116
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar tailgate reinforcement and CB antenna mount IMG_3115
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar tailgate reinforcement and CB antenna mount IMG_3114

Sponsored

cfree

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ
Has anyone tried mounting a GMRS antenna in this spot? Is it even possible?

PriamX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 CJ-2A, 2019 JLU
Hi all, to improve GND I drilled a 5mm hole in the Mopar tailgate and installed a M4 bushing. Then routed a cable from that point to the chassis.
I have the same MOPAR reinforcement. I followed the OP's instructions. Only difference was that I used a 4' firestick and the heavy-duty spring.

Your idea seems quite clever. What was the results, did it help your SWR? What grounding point did you use on the chassis?

Thanks!

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
I used an NMO mount as I switch back and forth between ham and cb. Just used an adapter for the firestick.

20220406_175313.jpg

Linus

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR
I have the same MOPAR reinforcement. I followed the OP's instructions. Only difference was that I used a 4' firestick and the heavy-duty spring.

Your idea seems quite clever. What was the results, did it help your SWR? What grounding point did you use on the chassis?

Thanks!
I also use the 2m firestick antenna, but no spring. I have tuned to 1.4 in 144mhz and 1.6 in the 146mhz (these are the lower abd upper frequencies for Switzerland) with hardtop, 35” spare tire and all doors closed. A was in the 2ish range wirh factory antenna length.
I’m tent to cut a bit more (I was cutting about 3mm at a time) to get a lower reading, but it is not a reversible process. So leave it as is buy now.
With the spring you will get higher reading and will need to cut more, probably.

Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Is it possible for anyone to actually measure what is the thickness of that antenna hole? I haven’t read it from anywhere. Just want to make sure it will fit with my uhf antenna.
Much appreciated.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Is it possible for anyone to actually measure what is the thickness of that antenna hole? I haven’t read it from anywhere. Just want to make sure it will fit with my uhf antenna.
Much appreciated.
About .582

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Anyone running an extra ground/bonding strap from the tailgate to the tub? If so…how long of a strap did you need? Looks like the nearest body grounding stud is on the driver’s side…..
Sponsored