First Name
Chic-ette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon Edition
Occupation
RMT
Hey guys. Just sharing a little info I learned about the Mopar 2” lift with Fox shocks. I’ve been doing lots of research and this is the only one you can put in without voiding warranty. So I found this very informative (and fun to watch) video that convinced me to wait until my warranty is up (in 3 years 😢) and then put in metal cloak.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
The Mopar lift is fine. I had it for a little while but had to go bigger. It also rides super comfortable.
GO FOR IT NOW!! :jk:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey guys. Just sharing a little info I learned about the Mopar 2” lift with Fox shocks. I’ve been doing lots of research and this is the only one you can put in without voiding warranty. So I found this very informative (and fun to watch) video that convinced me to wait until my warranty is up (in 3 years 😢) and then put in metal cloak.

I don't have the Mopar lift, and I'm also in BC and has been serviced at several different dealerships and noone has void my warranty yet.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Technically "you" can't put it in without voiding the warranty. It has to be dealer installed to maintain warranty status. Mine works just fine for what it is, but when I have to go bigger, I am definitely looking at Metalcloak.
Too bad that guy had such a negative dealer experience. They're not all like that. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give mine a 99 ... Demeyere CDJR ... these guys are awesome.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I can't imagine why his MOPAR lift would 'fall apart', he's so careful :LOL: It all depends on what you plan to do, if you plan to 'bang off rocks' (as he says) the MOPAR lift probably isn't the right one. For me, 95% highway, 5% overlanding, it's perfect and it rides great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HeavyMetalFox

HeavyMetalFox

First Name
Chic-ette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon Edition
Occupation
RMT
I can't imagine why his MOPAR lift would 'fall apart', he's so careful :LOL: It all depends on what you plan to do, if you plan to 'bang off rocks' (as he says) the MOPAR lift probably isn't the right one. For me, 95% highway, 5% overlanding, it's perfect and it rides great.
You don’t find it stiff?

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
You don’t find it stiff?
It's definitely not "floaty" like stock. It has a more positive feel to it. Personally, I like it way better than stock.
My install story is maybe a bit different than most though, which I had done around 4,500 kms.
Prior to taking delivery of mine on December 27th, 2018, there was an active recall on the steering dampener, so the dealership replaced mine with the new part before I even took possession.
At around 4,500 kms (May 2019) I ordered in the Mopar 2" lift kit from my dealer, and a set of 5 Fuel Podium wheels and 5 - 35" KO2's from my tire dealer. When all the parts were in, I booked the install at the dealership and had the pre-mounted wheels and tires delivered there as well.
Dropped the Jeep off in the morning. Lift install was completed, and new "shoes" installed as well. Picked it up at 4:30 PM and drove home.
It drove like crap. I mean it was really bad. A little further testing on a rough road revealed I did indeed have death wobble.
Back to the dealer we go the next morning. Get an alignment done, no adjustments required, and have a pow-wow with the service manager and the mechanic. I mention that I think the steering dampener is in upside down, at least according to the factory installed arrows on it. Sure enough, in comparison to all the other JLs and JTs on the lot, it is in upside down. The mechanic reorients the steering dampener to the correct way, and tests drives the Jeep. Still has death wobble.
We determine that I need the upgraded factory track bar, and the SM is adamant that it should have been included in the kit. Part ordered. Arrived in two days. Installed. No charge. Death wobble gone. But, I do have bump steer. Back to the dealer.
Mechanic test drives the Jeep. Definitely bump steer. Back on the alignment rack. Still everything is in spec and no adjustments are required. The SM, mechanic, and myself are standing around having another pow-wow over what the possible cause of the bump steer is, and frankly have no idea. The cause is exasperatingly eluding us (you'll notice in my profile I am 310T, heavy truck mechanic, certified) and at this point we are contemplating removing the lift and going back to stock.
As we are discussing this the senior parts guy walks by and asks what's up. The three of us relate the entire story of the vehicle to date, and he pipes up and asks the mechanic "did you bleed the steering dampener?".
The mechanic and I look at each other with "WTF ... who ever heard of that ???" expressions on our faces. The parts guys says there was a service bulletin out that mandated the new steering dampener had to be bled prior to install. He detailed to the mechanic how to bleed it. The mechanic did it, reinstalled it, test drove the Jeep, and bump steer was gone. Like totally gone.
However I am well aware that a steering dampener only masks the root problem, so I did have to go on a search of my own to sort out the base issue. That turned out to be fairly simple. Tire pressure. Dropped from the 45 psi the tire guys put ini them to the 32 psi they should be running at and steering was smooth as butter ... with one caveat.
Steering is generally sloppy, and that is indicative of the aluminium steering box. So, under the steering box TSB I get a new cast iron box ordered in and installed.
Now, it's perfect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HeavyMetalFox

HeavyMetalFox

First Name
Chic-ette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon Edition
Occupation
RMT
It's definitely not "floaty" like stock. It has a more positive feel to it. Personally, I like it way better than stock.
My install story is maybe a bit different than most though, which I had done around 4,500 kms.
Prior to taking delivery of mine on December 27th, 2018, there was an active recall on the steering dampener, so the dealership replaced mine with the new part before I even took possession.
At around 4,500 kms (May 2019) I ordered in the Mopar 2" lift kit from my dealer, and a set of 5 Fuel Podium wheels and 5 - 35" KO2's from my tire dealer. When all the parts were in, I booked the install at the dealership and had the pre-mounted wheels and tires delivered there as well.
Dropped the Jeep off in the morning. Lift install was completed, and new "shoes" installed as well. Picked it up at 4:30 PM and drove home.
It drove like crap. I mean it was really bad. A little further testing on a rough road revealed I did indeed have death wobble.
Back to the dealer we go the next morning. Get an alignment done, no adjustments required, and have a pow-wow with the service manager and the mechanic. I mention that I think the steering dampener is in upside down, at least according to the factory installed arrows on it. Sure enough, in comparison to all the other JLs and JTs on the lot, it is in upside down. The mechanic reorients the steering dampener to the correct way, and tests drives the Jeep. Still has death wobble.
We determine that I need the upgraded factory track bar, and the SM is adamant that it should have been included in the kit. Part ordered. Arrived in two days. Installed. No charge. Death wobble gone. But, I do have bump steer. Back to the dealer.
Mechanic test drives the Jeep. Definitely bump steer. Back on the alignment rack. Still everything is in spec and no adjustments are required. The SM, mechanic, and myself are standing around having another pow-wow over what the possible cause of the bump steer is, and frankly have no idea. The cause is exasperatingly eluding us (you'll notice in my profile I am 310T, heavy truck mechanic, certified) and at this point we are contemplating removing the lift and going back to stock.
As we are discussing this the senior parts guy walks by and asks what's up. The three of us relate the entire story of the vehicle to date, and he pipes up and asks the mechanic "did you bleed the steering dampener?".
The mechanic and I look at each other with "WTF ... who ever heard of that ???" expressions on our faces. The parts guys says there was a service bulletin out that mandated the new steering dampener had to be bled prior to install. He detailed to the mechanic how to bleed it. The mechanic did it, reinstalled it, test drove the Jeep, and bump steer was gone. Like totally gone.
However I am well aware that a steering dampener only masks the root problem, so I did have to go on a search of my own to sort out the base issue. That turned out to be fairly simple. Tire pressure. Dropped from the 45 psi the tire guys put ini them to the 32 psi they should be running at and steering was smooth as butter ... with one caveat.
Steering is generally sloppy, and that is indicative of the aluminium steering box. So, under the steering box TSB I get a new cast iron box ordered in and installed.
Now, it's perfect.
Thank you so much for sharing this! I will definitely reference your adventure when I go to install mine. Did you also put in adjustable track bars?

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Thank you so much for sharing this! I will definitely reference your adventure when I go to install mine. Did you also put in adjustable track bars?
No, I did not do adjustable track bars. I got the upgraded one from Mopar that "should" come with that kit, but does need to be ordered separately.
If you meant lower control arms (LCAs), no I did not do those either. The kit comes with extended LCAs which keeps your caster within factory specs.
At some point, likely after warranty, I will go with an aftermarket long arm kit where it will be necessary to change all of those items.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No, I did not do adjustable track bars. I got the upgraded one from Mopar that "should" come with that kit, but does need to be ordered separately.
If you meant lower control arms (LCAs), no I did not do those either. The kit comes with extended LCAs which keeps your caster within factory specs.
At some point, likely after warranty, I will go with an aftermarket long arm kit where it will be necessary to change all of those items.

Interesting. I had no idea mopar had a “upgraded” track bar, as I’ve never heard anyone mention it. Is this a real “upgrade” over a stock jeep/rubicon track bar? Longer in length?
Sponsored

Last edited: