MOPAR Steel Bumper Skid Plate

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Last weekend I bought a MOPAR Steel Bumper to replace the plastic one on my Rubicon. I'll probably do the swap this weekend. It came with LED Fogs so that will be plug and play since my Jeep already has those. The one piece missing is the skid plate. For now I'll probably just install the one off the plastic bumper, if that works, we'll see.

In the near future I'd like to get a steel one. Looking at the factory steep skid plate they aren't cheap and I am! At least that's what my wife tells me ;). I like to think I try to spend my money wisely. I do see other options out there, one is cheaper than the MOPAR version:

$199 - JcrOffroad: JL Wrangler Steel Bumper Skid Plate | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator
$251.95 - Rock Hard 4x4™ Sway Bar Motor Skid Plate for OEM Steel Bumper Jeep Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT 2018 - Current [RH-90511]

One thing I notice about the aftermarket versions that I don't like is that they are not as wide as the MOPAR version. So coverage to the side isn't as good.

Are there any other less expensive options that work well? If not are there versions with better coverage that I'm not aware of? Does anybody have or know of a stock steel version for sale for a reasonable price.

All constructive conversation welcome.

Thank you
Marc
Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I've had a JCR front bumper and the added skid held up very well to abuse. That's where I would spend my money but be prepared to wait a few weeks because they are backlogged like everyone else.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Did you try some of the discount parts dealers? There's at least one on the forum that will give you a free shipping code.

Looks like you can get the Mopar one under $200.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Last weekend I bought a MOPAR Steel Bumper to replace the plastic one on my Rubicon. I'll probably do the swap this weekend. It came with LED Fogs so that will be plug and play since my Jeep already has those. The one piece missing is the skid plate. For now I'll probably just install the one off the plastic bumper, if that works, we'll see.

In the near future I'd like to get a steel one. Looking at the factory steep skid plate they aren't cheap and I am! At least that's what my wife tells me ;). I like to think I try to spend my money wisely. I do see other options out there, one is cheaper than the MOPAR version:

$199 - JcrOffroad: JL Wrangler Steel Bumper Skid Plate | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator
$251.95 - Rock Hard 4x4™ Sway Bar Motor Skid Plate for OEM Steel Bumper Jeep Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT 2018 - Current [RH-90511]

One thing I notice about the aftermarket versions that I don't like is that they are not as wide as the MOPAR version. So coverage to the side isn't as good.

Are there any other less expensive options that work well? If not are there versions with better coverage that I'm not aware of? Does anybody have or know of a stock steel version for sale for a reasonable price.

Thank you
Marc
In the near future, I'll be switching my front and rear sway bars over to the Antirock setups. Without the front sway bar disconnect motor, the skid plate won't be needed and I'm also cutting off the "walrus tusks" that connect the frame to the skid plate.

I see that your in my neighboring state, so if you're willing to take a few hour drive, it's yours.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah, if you're interested in a mopar steel rear bumper, I've got one of those. It's off of a 2019 JLUR and is only missing the rear parksense sensors.

OP
OP

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
In the near future, I'll be switching my front and rear sway bars over to the Antirock setups. Without the front sway bar disconnect motor, the skid plate won't be needed and I'm also cutting off the "walrus tusks" that connect the frame to the skid plate.

I see that your in my neighboring state, so if you're willing to take a few hour drive, it's yours.
Oh yeah, if you're interested in a mopar steel rear bumper, I've got one of those. It's off of a 2019 JLUR and is only missing the rear parksense sensors.
How can I refuse this offer. Yes, I'll take it. Let me know when your ready.

I wasn't planning on getting a rear steep bumper but what are you looking to get?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How can I refuse this offer. Yes, I'll take it. Let me know when your ready.

I wasn't planning on getting a rear steep bumper but what are you looking to get?
It's actually the 1st dent I'm looking to put into a pile of stuff I've been sitting on, just waiting for a break in the heat and humidity on a day off.

I'm just wanting them to not go to waste. If your interested in the skid plate enough to take the drive, and would also want the rear bumper, they're yours for the cost of your time and gas. The bumpers actually 50 miles west of me at the shop, which is shortening your round trip.

This is your thread, so I'll let you know as soon as I dig into it.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller

Thank you
Marc
I believe the skids are narrower to help clear tires. I can't vouch for that though, I've been drinking. :beer:
I've also heard the JT skid is an option that fits, and is more narrow than the JL skid. My factory JLUR skid isn't causing me issues, so I'm still not sure what that's about.

OP
OP

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
It's actually the 1st dent I'm looking to put into a pile of stuff I've been sitting on, just waiting for a break in the heat and humidity on a day off.

I'm just wanting them to not go to waste. If your interested in the skid plate enough to take the drive, and would also want the rear bumper, they're yours for the cost of your time and gas. The bumpers actually 50 miles west of me at the shop, which is shortening your round trip.

This is your thread, so I'll let you know as soon as I dig into it.
This is awesome! If you want an extra hand for the day I'd be happy to help out in return for your generosity. I'm not a mechanic or anything but I've shed enough blood pretending to be ;)

If you ever need anything while up this way please reach out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Thank you to all who replied. All great ideas and information as usual from this community.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@MGD

If you're still interested in the front steel bumper lower skid plate, I just took it off today.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
@MGD

If you're still interested in the front steel bumper lower skid plate, I just took it off today.
@MGD
also, if you go this route I have list of brackets, bolts, nutcerts needed for install. Let me know

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@MGD
also, if you go this route I have list of brackets, bolts, nutcerts needed for install. Let me know
Yeah, each tusk had a stamped steel bracket that was bolted to the inside of each tusk with 2 bolts, and the skid plate bolted to it with 1 bolt each side. I put those 2 brackets and the 2 skid bolts with the skid. The rest of the associated hardware went back on the Jeep as more or less a place to not lose them.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, each tusk had a stamped steel bracket that was bolted to the inside of each tusk with 2 bolts, and the skid plate bolted to it with 1 bolt each side. I put those 2 brackets and the 2 skid bolts with the skid. The rest of the associated hardware went back on the Jeep as more or less a place to not lose them.
Awesome. All he would need is 4 nutserts to insert in frame for those brackets :like:
Sponsored