Sponsored

Mopar Steel Bumper Installation for Dummies?

OP
OP

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
Should have everything you need. I believe the skid plate comes with all hardware. You will see in vid I attached, insert rivnuts, tighten them down to squeeze the rivnut to frame then remove bolt, then install brackets. Hand tools will do the job. They may even show what sizes needed on instructions. 👍🏻
Ok thank you! And last question, should I invest in a torque wrench or is that not necessary? I think I would need a 3/8” one for this job to use with the 18mm socket.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ok thank you! And last question, should I invest in a torque wrench or is that not necessary? I think I would need a 3/8” one for this job to use with the 18mm socket.
You can get away without it and go by feel on a bumper.

That said, as a beginner I would recommend going on a shopping spree at Harbor Freight. It is definitely not the best quality, but it will help you build a tool set at the best price.

If you are going to buy one torque wrench, I would do a 1/2”

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I would agree with @GATORB8

OP
OP

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
I would agree with @GATORB8
Ok thank you both very much! That is where I was looking actually. There is a store not too far from me, so I may pick one up just to be on the safe side. I definitely do want to build up a small supply of everyday tools as I can see myself working on the JL more and more in the future. This is only the start!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ok thank you both very much! That is where I was looking actually. There is a store not too far from me, so I may pick one up just to be on the safe side. I definitely do want to build up a small supply of everyday tools as I can see myself working on the JL more and more in the future. This is only the start!
Harbor Freight is addictive cause it’s so cheap.

I’d recommend a mechanics ratchet set that goes to at least 21mm (metric will take care of 95%+ of the stock fasteners) should come with the ratchets (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) and sockets you need. If it doesn’t come with it, get a set of ratchet extensions. And get a set of metric combo wrenches that goes up to 21 mm if possible.

You’ll probably eventually want a 1/2” breaker bar and torque wrench.

That set will get you most of the tools to do lifts, brakes, and basic mods.

OP
OP

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
Harbor Freight is addictive cause it’s so cheap.

I’d recommend a mechanics ratchet set that goes to at least 21mm (metric will take care of 95%+ of the stock fasteners) should come with the ratchets (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) and sockets you need. If it doesn’t come with it, get a set of ratchet extensions. And get a set of metric combo wrenches that goes up to 21 mm if possible.

You’ll probably eventually want a 1/2” breaker bar and torque wrench.

That set will get you most of the tools to do lifts, brakes, and basic mods.
It seems that way! I will be checking them out after work today. I do have a ratchet set that goes up to 18mm but only includes 1/4” and 3/8” ratchets plus extensions. I may need to get a ratchet with a 1/2” drive while I’m there and I’ll check out the combo wrenches too. Thank you for the helpful tips!
Sponsored