Sponsored

Mopar Steel Bumper Installation for Dummies?

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
Hello! I am looking to swap the front plastic bumper for the three-piece Mopar one on my 2021 JLUR XR this weekend, and was wondering what tools I may need for the job. It seems like I will need a 1/4” drive, 3/8” drive, 8mm socket, 18mm socket, and some extensions (gathered from various videos online). Is this all that it takes for the bumper/steel skid plate and will hand tools do the trick? One video from Extreme Terrain mentioned a 16mm socket but never showed it being used... Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated! I am not a super handy guy and have never done a modification like this to a vehicle before (this is my first Jeep), but I am excited to give it a try!
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you buy new or pickup a takeoff from someone? Asking because you need certain hardware.

here is another quick DIY vid

OP
OP

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
Did you buy new or pickup a takeoff from someone? Asking because you need certain hardware.

here is another quick DIY vid

Thank you for linking that! I bought a new bumper, skid plate, and close out panel from BAM wholesale. I think the new skid should come with the appropriate brackets right?

Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Ditto what hoag said. There are several threads on here with detailed parts lists. Also, did your new bumper come complete with fogs? I know the Sahara plastic bumper LED fog lamps aren’t a direct swap to the steel bumper. They have different mounting points. I imagine it’s the same for the Rubicon plastic bumpers as well. Something to consider before you start wrenching.

OP
OP

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
Ditto what hoag said. There are several threads on here with detailed parts lists. Also, did your new bumper come complete with fogs? I know the Sahara plastic bumper LED fog lamps aren’t a direct swap to the steel bumper. They have different mounting points. I imagine it’s the same for the Rubicon plastic bumpers as well. Something to consider before you start wrenching.
Thank you! I will try to find them! Yes I believe that it does come with the LED’s already installed. This is the bumper I ordered.
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...90YK_4Y6CkchpPvNQZDLYxHAg4h4UtiRoCoCkQAvD_BwE

Sponsored

OP
OP

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
Oof. Not terribly pricey but certainly a pain! Did you buy a takeoff? That’s what I was going to do but it was going to cost too much to have one shipped. Figured I might as well buy a new one.

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Oof. Not terribly pricey but certainly a pain! Did you buy a takeoff? That’s what I was going to do but it was going to cost too much to have one shipped. Figured I might as well buy a new one.
Yes, a takeoff w/ skid plate. Had to buy the above bolts and some $25 fog light adapter brackets. They pop up locally, but not usually until AFTER you drive a few hours to pick one up!

OP
OP

GGspartan318

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
Yes, a takeoff w/ skid plate. Had to buy the above bolts and some $25 fog light adapter brackets. They pop up locally, but not usually until AFTER you drive a few hours to pick one up!
Shoot man! That’s the way it goes isn’t it? That would be my luck too...

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I will try to find them! Yes I believe that it does come with the LED’s already installed. This is the bumper I ordered.
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...90YK_4Y6CkchpPvNQZDLYxHAg4h4UtiRoCoCkQAvD_BwE
Should have everything you need. I believe the skid plate comes with all hardware. You will see in vid I attached, insert rivnuts, tighten them down to squeeze the rivnut to frame then remove bolt, then install brackets. Hand tools will do the job. They may even show what sizes needed on instructions. 👍🏻
Sponsored