Sponsored

Mopar Soft Top vs Bestop NX

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Since there are only two tops available for the JLU that i can find, what are the pros and cons on either top. Functionality as well as material type.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
They’re all made by Bestop, so quality should be the same.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
The TrekTop NX doesn't come off. I had it in my shopping cart for awhile then they kept pushing the release date, so I cancelled. I actually started to pay attention to JK owners of the top. It has a Sunrider feature, and the sides come off, but the back seat is permanently covered.

The NX Glide comes down, but is not avail.

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar soft top has a frame - TrekTop NX is frameless and has a fastback design. I much prefer the TrekTop design, but can't stand the zippers (on any soft top).

Bestop also makes a TrekTop Pro (JK only at this time), which I'm holding out for on my JL. The TrekTop Pro is all the best parts of a soft top (fastback design, sunrider flip back front, removable side panels), but pairs it with sliding glass windows on the sides and a hydraulic glass rear just like a hard top. I had one on my JK for 3 years and never swapped it back out for the hard top until I traded in the Jeep. With the release schedule so far of aftermarket Bestop offerings...I'm unfortunately not expecting the TrekTop Pro until at least Summer of 2020, if that.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Mopar soft top has a frame - TrekTop NX is frameless and has a fastback design. I much prefer the TrekTop design, but can't stand the zippers (on any soft top).
Zippers are no more on any of the JL soft tops.

I had the NX on my JK and it's a good top, very easy to open up, but the drawback is it does not go all the way down without some extra work and hassles. It can be done, but it's a chore.

Go with the OEM top, it's redesign has made it really easy to put up and down.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
https://mytop.us/

I don't know release date for JL version. Contact the company or member @Covfefe. He's knowledgeable with this top and product space given his interest in acquiring one.

Still more, there are, as you probably know, 2 factory soft tops, premium and basic.

I think the premium sturdier and worth the extra price. I have the dual top where this premium top comes standard.

All tops other than the basic come "discounted" from the factory. This is because you are effectively giving the standard basic soft top back to FCA for use in another inventory rig.

Then there's the power soft top....which is more expensive, easier to use--not that the soft tops are hard to open, perhaps more likely to leak...but opens and closes without getting out of the rig--useful in places with rapid onset thunderstorms.

Then there's the Bestop Sunrider product to replace the hard top freedom panels.

It's good for the front seats, opens and closes from inside, and is a compromise.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I personally L O V E the factory soft top for JL. It's my favorite top. Easy to use, folds all the way back, looks better, allows more cargo room, etc.

But if you give me a week or two, I'm going to post up a detailed review of the Trektop NX for JL.

Tjax

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Dr JL Rubicon
5C44E7BA-CADD-4FDB-A76A-26DBC71EA5E2.jpeg
View attachment 130944 View attachment 130943 View attachment 130943
Zippers are no more on any of the JL soft tops.

I had the NX on my JK and it's a good top, very easy to open up, but the drawback is it does not go all the way down without some extra work and hassles. It can be done, but it's a chore.

Go with the OEM top, it's redesign has made it really easy to put up and down.
I had the NX on my 2014 JK Rubicon and loved the no frame design. If you want the ‘no top’ feel, remove the back and side windows, roll the back part of the top over the soundbar and flip the front part back to cover this part of the top and you are topless for front and rear passengers. The only thing I disliked was the zippered side windows. They were tough to get in along with the back window because it was so tight. It did look good installed though. No wrinkles. If they made the back and side windows like the JL factory soft top it would be an awesome top. Easy to put on/off and no bows to deal with.

With that said, I am a big fan of the factory premium soft top. The only downside is how high it sits when down. Installing it by yourself can be clumsy.

They are both great choices.

AB3A1196-33DB-46D5-A4D5-9A3CB548AA1D.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Mojito!

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to with the Mopar. Premium I think.

AucturitasJones

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Business Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hace you seen this? It's not a full soft top but a bonnet instead. Curious if anyone has bought one yet and tried it? https://www.justforjeeps.com/jl-sun-bonnet-soft-top.html
As an option for keeping light rain off the driver or direct sunlight it seems like it might be worth a look.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Having both, here are my Pro's/Con's

Factory Premium softop

Pros:
  • Semi quiet for a softop
  • Very easy to take down with the zipper-less design
  • Safari mode is nice if you are trying to keep cargo semi dry in a downpour and you happen to not have the sides with you.
  • Slightly more storage space than the trektop
Cons:
  • Ugly when down. I personally can't stand the giant bunched up fabric with the top down.
  • Sits 3" taller than the factory premium softop which could be an issue with garage clearance if you are tall enough.
  • The top goes very high when you are trying to flip it all the way back (cannot be done in my 8' garage at my height)

Trektop NX
  • Pros:Awesome fastback look (personal opinion)
  • Flipping back to sunrider mode is simple and the top doesn't go nearly as high as the factory
  • I like the zipper pouches built into the top for storage
  • 3" Better clearance, which for me allowed easy entrance to my garage regardless of temperature
  • I love the bikini top look when taking the back/sides off
  • Semi quiet for a softop
Cons:
  • Doesn't open all the way (rear passengers still remain covered)
  • ZIPPERS! I was spoiled by the zipper-less design of the factory softop
  • Slightly less storage space than the factory top
  • Takes a little longer to remove the side panels than the factory softop

OP
OP
Mojito!

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Well I went with the Mopar Premium. No regrets! Lovin' it.
IMG_3496.jpg
IMG_3500.jpg
Sponsored