Mopar Rubicon Dana 44 Crate Axles

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Hey everyone, I am trying to get some confirmation on the Mopar Rubicon Dana 44 crate axles that can be purchased through Mopar Performance Parts. I am trying to figure out if the Rubicon crate axles are complete with brakes, steering, axle shafts, knuckles, hubs, etc. out of the box, or do I need to purchase extra parts to put these in? If parts are needed, what parts do I need to source? I am planning to purchase the Steer Smarts tie-rod and drag link at the same time so the steering is a non-issue. My Jeep is a 2019 JLU Sport S Altitude which comes from the factory with the HD brakes the Sahara/Rubicon get. My HD brakes should swap over from what I understand but I do know what else is required to put these under my JLUS aside from the two wire locker wiring harness from Mopar (listed below).

I am also planing on trussing and gusseting the axles before putting them in to handle 37's a bit better. Just trying to make sense of what I need to do before placing the order for the axles. Thanks in advance for the info everyone.

Front Dana 44

Rear Dana 44

E-locker Wiring Harness
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other option is to save up extra and get a set of Dynatrac axles and be done with it all. Not planning on anything bigger than 37's.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
Hey everyone, I am trying to get some confirmation on the Mopar Rubicon Dana 44 crate axles that can be purchased through Mopar Performance Parts. I am trying to figure out if the Rubicon crate axles are complete with brakes, steering, axle shafts, knuckles, hubs, etc. out of the box, or do I need to purchase extra parts to put these in? If parts are needed, what parts do I need to source? I am planning to purchase the Steer Smarts tie-rod and drag link at the same time so the steering is a non-issue. My Jeep is a 2019 JLU Sport S Altitude which comes from the factory with the HD brakes the Sahara/Rubicon get. My HD brakes should swap over from what I understand but I do know what else is required to put these under my JLUS aside from the two wire locker wiring harness from Mopar (listed below).

I am also planing on trussing and gusseting the axles before putting them in to handle 37's a bit better. Just trying to make sense of what I need to do before placing the order for the axles. Thanks in advance for the info everyone.

Front Dana 44

Rear Dana 44

E-locker Wiring Harness
I just had new longer Rubicon axles installed on the Sahara. My axles came filled with gear oil otherwise the part's manager said that'd be another $150 (3 liters), FAD was included already installed. I transferred my HD brakes onto the new axles.

I had them replace steering linkage, drag link and front driveshaft due to size and length changes. I told them not to screw with trying to pull the old speed sensors and order new ones to install the new axles. I had them install new front lower spring correction pads from Rock Krawler from Northridge4x4 and am really happy that the bowlegged front springs are nice and straight, I had the Mopar 2in lift.

I ran my own switch bank to a terminal block near the battery and had them wire to that,(see link).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-locker-accessory-switch-bank_updated.51314/

The lockers operate outside of computer control so I think that's a really good thing based on what I've been seeing with "service locker lights" on another 2 or 3 threads.

If you're unsure look online and read up on a proper break in on the gears since you're investing $$$$

I've been purchasing my gear oil from https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol-catalog/gear-oil-differential-fluid.html.

Axle assemblies seem to be available in many place now but here's one for example:
https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-assembly-front-77072405

Last edited:

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Also trying to figure this out. From Lou's answer seems like it doesn't come with brakes or a tie rod.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No they did not.
Does the front come complete with the knuckles, unit bearings, and ujoints/axle shafts? Rear complete with axle shafts? Sounds like steering and swapping over the brakes are all that's needed then?

I wasn't aware the driveshaft for the front was a different length. From what I've read nobody has mentioned that.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the front come complete with the knuckles, unit bearings, and ujoints/axle shafts? Rear complete with axle shafts? Sounds like steering and swapping over the brakes are all that's needed then?

I wasn't aware the driveshaft for the front was a different length. From what I've read nobody has mentioned that.
Correct, new steering components and transferring over the my HD brakes was what was done. I can't speak for non-HD brakes or a non mopar-lifted vehicle.

The front axle was complete, knuckles, b-joints, bearing packs, U-joint based axle shafts and ready to transfer over the HD brakes that were originally installed from the D30. The rear axle was complete with axle shafts and ready to transfer over original HD brakes. There were no brake line length issues with the front or rear including the e-brake cables.

I requested that the front drive shaft be replaced. I had read that here somewhere in one post but of course I can't find it now. So consider this purely a precautionary change out on my part and not based on solid knowledge. I felt justified in doing it though because I reasoned that in moving from D30 to D44 axles there were dimensional changes in carrier. Also when I cross referenced the part #'s for the front drive shaft of a Sahara to a Rubicon they were different.

For me the speed sensors were a no brain'er. I did not want the old ones pried out, potentially damaged and then need to be ordered adding wait time in the shop to get them installed.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

Driveshaft is not a different length nor is the drag link. Tie rod is longer. I recently had a UD44 installed on my Sahara and a new tie rod is all I needed. I already had an adjustable track bar.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driveshaft is not a different length nor is the drag link. Tie rod is longer. I recently had a UD44 installed on my Sahara and a new tie rod is all I needed. I already had an adjustable track bar.
Good to know the add-on list is smaller. Seems like the Tie-rod is all that's needed based on your experience in adding the UD44 front axle.
What gear ratio did you get the UD44 in? What did you do with your rear axle?

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Good to know the add-on list is smaller. Seems like the Tie-rod is all that's needed based on your experience in adding the UD44 front axle.
What gear ratio did you get the UD44 in? What did you do with your rear axle?
Yeah, it’s not as bad as I thought it would be. The new tie rod improved my steering so it was worth the cost. I’m not sure about the track bar since my lift came with an adjustable one but I’m guessing an adjustable or wider track bar would be required with Rubicon width axle. The Dynatrac option requires a new driveshaft. It’s an entirely different connection, I think.

I went 4.88. Sort of wish I’d gone 5.13 since I’m running 37s but the 4.88 with the turbo runs great. Love having 8th gear back even on moderate inclines without downshifting.

I already had a D44 rear with the LSD option, so I just regeared it for now. When the LSD wears out I’ll probably add a locker. Hopefully an e-locker will be an option then. My rear axle is 1.5” narrower than the front now since the UD44 is Rubicon width but it’s not a big deal at all and I can’t tell by looking at it.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you've got a good build started. I noticed better steering feel too, it was a nice side benefit. I had gotten use to the sloppy steering slalom of the jeep. 4.10's on 33's feel very responsive to me I wasn't happy with the feel the 3.45 ratio even with original 32's.
You'll notice if your LSD messes with the spider gears mine went out at 26K miles and got the assembly got replaced. In the end was never sure how effective it really was.
Originally I planned on ARB lockers but did not find many choices of local installers that I felt comfortable with. Additionally, Ox-locker did not yet cover the D44/M220 so after re-thinking alternatives I went with Rubicon axles. It's a better fit for me and what I would be putting them through anyway. In fact I have to get around to posting a picture of the Arb compact locker compressor, under seat bracket and spare parts I collected up on the member market place since I don't need them anymore.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'd 1000% do the Dynatracs, or even the ultimate Danas. I wouldn't pay a penny for a "stock" M220
Hell I'd pony up 10 cents for one. I'll pay shipping too.
Sponsored