Sponsored

Mopar Roof Rack Whistle

Eaglei22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand cherokee altitude
Idk. tried the tape, still whistling. And tape looks hideous all over it. Im going to contact mopar. To ask. Anyone ask mopar yet?
Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Idk. tried the tape, still whistling. And tape looks hideous all over it. Im going to contact mopar. To ask. Anyone ask mopar yet?
I also taped up the slots on the underside and I'm still experiencing whistling as well... :headbang:

wpamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I also taped up the slots on the underside and I'm still experiencing whistling as well... :headbang:
Sorry it didn’t work out for you. I’ve been okay so far accept for very windy days. I agree that we shouldn’t have to worry about our brand new roof racks!

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
Sorry, but I forgot to take pictures. I covered the entire slot on the underside of the blade between the two feet that attach to the roof with black Gorilla Tape (basically duct tape but way more tacky and weatherproof). I’m not sure if electrical tape will work, but obviously black tape is the way to go for aesthetic purposes. Basically, if you detach them and flip them over so the feet are facing up, you can’t miss.

I’ve found that the small slot beneath the blade on the outside of each foot (3-4 inches) can whistle a little in a strong cross wind. I may end up taping them too, but we’ll see.
Thanks for the information! With the taping of the areas all the noise that occurred from 40 - 65 mph is completely gone.

It's a pity to have spent ~$280 on a poorly developed and tested product though.

Eaglei22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I emailed jeep about the issue, and the person helping said they only heard one other complaint about it. So not many people are actually reporting the issue. They said to contact them with the complaint so if enough people complain of the issue, something can be done.

Sponsored

Eaglei22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still confused on what you guys are taping at the bottom. I see a little bump, is that what is causing it? As the air passes over it?

I attached picture of mine.

20180816_080357.jpg

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
I'm still confused on what you guys are taping at the bottom. I see a little bump, is that what is causing it? As the air passes over it?

I attached picture of mine.

20180816_080357.jpg
It's the slots underneath the cross bars that are supposedly causing the whistling.

DB82B083-46F8-4928-9C18-2FC36E29AA4D.jpeg

wpamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's the slots underneath the cross bars that are supposedly causing the whistling.

DB82B083-46F8-4928-9C18-2FC36E29AA4D.jpeg
FYI, I ran just one line of black tape all the way across the bottom of the bar. The slots were the problem for me, at least. Sorry it hasn't helped everyone.

wpamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I emailed jeep about the issue, and the person helping said they only heard one other complaint about it. So not many people are actually reporting the issue. They said to contact them with the complaint so if enough people complain of the issue, something can be done.
Can you share the e-mail address and case number you used? That way we can focus our efforts! I'll gladly e-mail them as well.

Sponsored

Eaglei22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, I ran just one line of black tape all the way across the bottom of the bar.
I'll have to try running it across the bottom, as i only tried the slots. I do see a small thin bump running all the way across the bottom, not sure what purpose the bump serves but maybe that might help. Thanks!

*I'll try and take a better bottom picture when i get home using the flash. Did that last one in a hurry, and didn't realize how dark it was.