Knotter82

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi All,

I installed the MOPAR removable roof racks and ever since I’ve had terrible wind whistling noise while driving over 50MPH. I installed them in the location on the hardtop according to the instructions. I was wondering if everyone was getting this same whistle or if there there was a better spacing to where they would make less noise. Thanks!
Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Hi All,

I installed the MOPAR removable roof racks and ever since I’ve had terrible wind whistling noise while driving over 50MPH. I installed them in the location on the hardtop according to the instructions. I was wondering if everyone was getting this same whistle or if there there was a better spacing to where they would make less noise. Thanks!
So I installed the Mopar roof rack system and the Smittybuilt Atlas hinge steps on the same day. I noticed that whistling sound as you mentioned over speeds of about 45mph. I automatically assumed it had to be the hinge steps, thinking there is no way Mopar would design racks that whistled so loudly. I even wrote a post on this forum complaining about the hinge steps whistling. Everyone who owned the steps responded that they didn't have any whistling. Now I know it has to be the racks! WTF Mopar?!? :swear: The whistling is kinda driving me crazy... At least I now know what is the culprit...

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I’ve got the roof rack as well and no whistling. However I also have a yakima magewarrior basket installed. Just install a basket and the whistling will go away.

wpamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just got the Mopar roof racks and went crazy for a few days trying to solve the whistling noise. I adjusted them several times, moved their position, tried loading them, and finally taped different parts. That was the trick: there’s a design flaw in which the oncoming air bounces off the roof and hits the underside of the blade, which has a track for adjusting the footers, and causes the whistling at highway speeds. Once you’re sure of the footer placement, if you run a strip of black Gorilla Tape along the bottom of the blade, it will block air from entering the channel and STOP THE WHISTLING! Can you tell I’m excited? Gotta say, I’m surprised these roof racks were produced with what seems to be a lack of testing.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the world of roof racks. I have had them on various vehicles and as above poster says, it can be many different culprits. Where they are positioned, do they have open grooves on the top or bottoms, I have had to put wind fairings on some vehicles to get it to go away.... etc. If it is as simple as the tape on the bottom of the mopar bars, that is a super easy fix... thanks for the info.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I just got the Mopar roof racks and went crazy for a few days trying to solve the whistling noise. I adjusted them several times, moved their position, tried loading them, and finally taped different parts. That was the trick: there’s a design flaw in which the oncoming air bounces off the roof and hits the underside of the blade, which has a track for adjusting the footers, and causes the whistling at highway speeds. Once you’re sure of the footer placement, if you run a strip of black Gorilla Tape along the bottom of the blade, it will block air from entering the channel and STOP THE WHISTLING! Can you tell I’m excited? Gotta say, I’m surprised these roof racks were produced with what seems to be a lack of testing.
You are a genius!

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Gonna sell mine when the rhino rack backbone system comes out. Keep checking the ads if you’re interested. But at this rate it’ll be years before the rhino rack system comes out...ha

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I've had problems with my XM radio from day one, but my dealer won't go further fixing it because I have an "aftermarket" roof rack. Go figure???

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I have problems with my XM too and don’t even have my rack or cargo basket on...had the issue since day 1.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Thanks for the great info! I'm going to give it a shot. I'll report back...

Sponsored

Eaglei22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand cherokee altitude

Dealing with the same thing.. except i jumped the gun and wiped some protectant polish on it to keep it from getting weathered before installing.. -_- having trouble with electrical tape sticking.

Where along the bottom did you tape? Just the slots on the legs? Got a pic? Thanks!

wpamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sorry, but I forgot to take pictures. I covered the entire slot on the underside of the blade between the two feet that attach to the roof with black Gorilla Tape (basically duct tape but way more tacky and weatherproof). I’m not sure if electrical tape will work, but obviously black tape is the way to go for aesthetic purposes. Basically, if you detach them and flip them over so the feet are facing up, you can’t miss.

I’ve found that the small slot beneath the blade on the outside of each foot (3-4 inches) can whistle a little in a strong cross wind. I may end up taping them too, but we’ll see.

Wingman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon in Mojito; 2017 Orange Blast Metallic Chevy SS
Occupation
Architect
Not sure exactly how the Mopar roof racks are shaped , but I have the Thule Square tubes and I had a whistle also at one point
I was on vacation and had taken the roof rack off, and then the top off. When I put the roof back on mid week, (with the roof rack still on....) I had a real bad whistling when getting up to 50 mph. Turns out one of my square tube rubber end caps had come off and the open end of the tube was whistling. (Think about blowing over the top of a beer bottle). Found the end cap in our driveway and put it back on, Whistling stopped!

Eaglei22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand cherokee altitude
Want to buy mine lol? Yea maybe get the thule.. shouldn't have to deal with fixing this defect ourselves on brand new oem equipment... Especially for the price.
Sponsored