Sponsored

Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED)

hybrid_eg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 S13, 22 MS Plaid, '23 JLUR 4xe
Do you have the length of the OEM aero crossbars? I cant find that info anywhere.. i want to put both a Thule Motion XT L box as well as Thule SnowPack M.. looking at your first post what ski rack are you running? I like how it sits flush with the cross bars. Def will be getting the vinyl cutouts from you for the whistle issue :)
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The cricut files do work when I click on the links and I double checked the source URLs and they did not change.
@paulr running into the same thing. When I access on Cricut, it says I cannot make or customize them, because they were uploaded and only the owner can.

Is there a way to send native Cricut files or something? Totally new to this so not sure there's an offline version?

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
@paulr running into the same thing. When I access on Cricut, it says I cannot make or customize them, because they were uploaded and only the owner can.

Is there a way to send native Cricut files or something? Totally new to this so not sure there's an offline version?
not too sure, not much more I can do. I provided both the cricut files (through them through their share feature, if it's not working I'm not sure what to say) and I also provided my source files. On top of that I am cutting these for people still and mailing them, if you want me to cut you a set I'm still doing that just shoot me a direct message

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

not too sure, not much more I can do. I provided both the cricut files (through them through their share feature, if it's not working I'm not sure what to say) and I also provided my source files. On top of that I am cutting these for people still and mailing them, if you want me to cut you a set I'm still doing that just shoot me a direct message
That might be the problem - the tinyuploads link for the vector file doesn't load - tried on a few different systems. Appreciate the offer to print/ship, but I already have all the stuff, just not the design, lol. I'll do some measuring/tinkering. Thanks for solving this in the first place!

yohananades

First Name
montahaakon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
Just did this to mine with some 3M tape (similar to Gorilla Tape) and it is as quiet as it was without the rack installed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

If I missed this my apologies, but did you share the red vinyl you used for the logo? My wife has one of these cricut things and wants to bang out a set of em

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Small question for the group. I picked up the cross bars second hand and the plastic lock plug seems to just fall out. Not a big deal as I intend to use once in a while and not leave em on the Jeep. Before I look to run this down further, should the plastic ones stay in place? Since the Yakima keyed locks work I figure the plastic Yakima plugs should work too

hybrid_eg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 S13, 22 MS Plaid, '23 JLUR 4xe
just buy the yakima locks with key, they work like a charm, i'm about to install mine and tossed the plastic jeep ones which serve no purpose in terms of locking.

IMG_4286.jpg

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

just buy the yakima locks with key, they work like a charm, i'm about to install mine and tossed the plastic jeep ones which serve no purpose in terms of locking.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_4286
I know, I know. I don't plan to leave em on for long stretches of time and I am cheap!

Castle999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL
Many, many thanks for posting this tip!

2) Paint protection: I noticed on my JK the roof rack did leave a little bit of marks on the hard top, so to avoid anything I cut some small rectangles of clear bra paint protection film from 3M in order to protect the paint where it grips, this also turns out to make it super easy and fast to put the roof racks back on and off exactly in the correct spot since the film marks the spot basically

Sponsored

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
I appreciated reading this thread. I ended up buying a mopar rack for my JLUR and look forward to doing the vinyl mod, lock mod and installing it onto our Jeep.

mmrowell

First Name
Marilyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Just wanted to share a few customizations I made to my Mopar roof rack, including solving the whistling issue which seems to have hit or miss solutions in other threads.

1) Red decals: I cut some red Jeep decals to fill in the Jeep logos to add a little bit of color and match the accents on Jeep

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_4286

2) Paint protection: I noticed on my JK the roof rack did leave a little bit of marks on the hard top, so to avoid anything I cut some small rectangles of clear bra paint protection film from 3M in order to protect the paint where it grips, this also turns out to make it super easy and fast to put the roof racks back on and off exactly in the correct spot since the film marks the spot basically

3) Security: since these don't lock unfortunately, I decided to at least swap out the bolt inside with a torx security screw bolt, it makes it at least a slightly greater deterrent to get these off, most thieves are unlikely to carry this special torx head around... anyone looking to do the same you'll need M6 screws with about 25 to 30mm in length, I used this kit off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCMVJQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) No more whistling! The whistle is pretty bad on these once you hit 65 mph. In another thread some had mentioned putting tape along the bottom center, some on the sides... people were having mixed success. The key is to put tape on BOTH the bottom middle AND the side parts, shown in areas 1, 2, and 3 in this image below I marked up ... I tried it with just the middle and just the sides and it still whistles, you need to do all parts numbered here to stop the whistle completely

Once I figured out what worked, I wanted to come up with a solution that looked nice. Ended up cutting some black matte vinyl decals and stuck them on the bottom. They're basically invisible and this has stopped the whistling noise completely. You can't tell these are on here at all they blend in with the rack. The key is to cover all the groves and exposed areas on the bottom

Update: Finally got to give these some good use on a long ski trip, no whistling still and no issues
Update 2: Almost 17 months later these are still good to go, no issues with the vinyl coming off or anything

EDIT: I CAN CUT THESE FOR YOU IF YOU'D LIKE: Due to tons of requests I cut a handful of these for anyone interested and if I run out I can cut them for you in a couple days usually. Shoot me a PM for a PayPal link if interested.

$40 for the anti-whistle strips on the bottom
$12 for the red Jeep logo inserts
shipping included

EDIT: PRINT YOUR OWN WITH THESE FILES: Due to overwhelming request I have posted the Cricut project files as well as vector files if you are not using a Cricut below. Please note these will most likely require some trial/error and adjustment on the dimensions, but this should get you really close as a starting point.

Vector files: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09444917626491268435
Cricut file: https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e5d3ddb7dd8b4069b19e189
Cricut file: https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e5d3e344c66f206a77638b6
Hey there! This was so helpful, thank you. Are you able to reshare the cricut files? It will only print, not cut, from the Cricut.
Thanks!

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
It’s an issue with cricut. The files are fine as I use them to cut all the time. Not much I can do unfortunately. I am still cutting these if anyone needs me to.

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Were you able to find an answer for how high the rack is? I read on a retailer site Q&A that the height was 4" above the top of roof.

I'm curious too as I have a garage screen door that hangs below my garage door and worried about clearance. I have about 5" to play with
Garage screen door? Please do give more details. This is the first I’ve ever heard of this. Thanks.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Garage screen door? Please do give more details. This is the first I’ve ever heard of this. Thanks.
common here in Florida, rides on tracks just like a garage door but mounts just below and inside the garage door.

IMG_2144.jpeg
Sponsored