Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED)

1. bobzdar

bobzdar Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle(s):
    '95 Wrangler, '89 Grand Wagoneer, '18 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Given this is a Yakima rack I figured their filler strip would fit better.

My wife's car has the thule aero blade setup and the bottom filler setup is very different, if that's the material you used.

2. OP
    OP
    paulr

paulr Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
    Ya that’s the one I had tried. And ya I didn’t realize it was actually a Yakima. I think you might be right let us know if it works!

3. bobzdar

bobzdar Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle(s):
    '95 Wrangler, '89 Grand Wagoneer, '18 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Will do, should be here the week after Thanksgiving. I'll have to use gorilla tape in the meantime.

4. alexyu650

alexyu650 Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    NA
    Liked:
    Which model Yakima lock cores are you using? I have the same rack and the plastic lock sucks.

5. OP
    OP
    paulr

paulr Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
  6. snakevsplane

snakevsplane Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    I tried this fix for the whistling and applied the vinyl from your Amazon link. All vinyl flew off within 10 minutes of 50-60mph speeds.

I believe this is due to the fact that the weather is 30 F. Unless I somehow applied the stickers wrong lol.

7. OP
    OP
    paulr

paulr Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
    Did you clean the entire bottom of the rack with alcohol really well first? This makes a night and day difference on how well it sticks. Also not sure if you applied the vinyl while the rack was outside on the vehicle and it was still cold? If so I would bring it inside. I have had zero issues so far with it coming off.

8. snakevsplane

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Rack was room temp when I applied. However I only cleaned with water, and let it dry before applying vinyl.

Will give the alcohol wipe down a shot and try again. That $10 got me enough vinyl for about 10 tries lol. I'll try to update.

9. OP
    OP
    paulr

paulr Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
    gotcha, ya alcohol is night and day with the adhesion, those racks can be pretty greasy out of the box, it should really stick on there and be pretty obvious that the adhesion is good, mine were pretty hard to remove

10. snakevsplane

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Cool hoping that works. If it doesn't, I think I'm gonna hit it with 5200 and smooth it out.

11. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
    Liked:
    Hey buddy. Ok I had ordered those for my JL back about 4 months ago. When I ordered the roof rack system they were showing pics of the roof rack set up over the removable panels on the hardtop. I also called and asked them if it was ok to set it up over the removable panels? THEY SAID YES. Ok cool I trust them so I ordered. When I received the roof rack. I opened the package and all was good. Ok instruction time. It clearly says under step #3 that you should NOT (never) mount or install these over the removable panels. So some people(Jeep owners) I see on the road and have one of the bars installed over the front panel and it’s just flat out dangerous.! Freakin companies don’t care and will always take sales over safety(idiots). Remember our roof top is fiberglass it can only handle so much. I called company and they apologized to me and I was able to return them as I decided not to take a chance on highway with these on. YOU MUST FOLLOW GUIDE LINES ON HOW MUCH YOU CAN ACTUALLY STORE ON THIS ROOF RACK and try and NOT attach this system to any part of those front panels. Use the back doors and end of hard top but never on those 2 removable panels. ALSO CHECK GUIDE LINES FOR YOUR TOP SPEED. Remember if you have to much on top and go over the required speed you will have an issue or damage that hard top. They have better systems which go through the roof top and attach to your roll bars. That’s the correct way so weight won’t be on your hard top but your roll bars which can easily handle it. They also have systems that are bars that go all around and connect to your main frame which also are solid. Most chances nothing will happen to you but just wanted you to know cause I didn’t know upon purchase until I read instructions. I hope this helps somewhat buddy. Love your Jeep great color. Stay safe :) the pic is best one I have of my low profile rhino rack platform system which I have installed on to my Jeep with the Maxiumus brackets which go through har top and attach to my roll bar

327ED698-CFB5-434B-B0A5-AB8563F32628.jpeg

5CC86C6E-CEC7-4B91-8BBE-932C3BB9305A.jpeg

266A9772-9AE2-4453-B8F3-5C06ECDE2FD5.jpeg

sheram likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    paulr

paulr Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
    Yes mine are installed to spec per the instructions on the back of the hardtop. The picture in my post with the red lines is from extreme terrains website. They have them installed completely backwards and on the front panels.

Although on the JK there were no rain gutters on the back of the hard top. I had my ski rack on my JK on the front no problem without issue (although the JK freedom panels were secured differently with two parts that screwed through the speaker bar so it was maybe more secure). You might be seeing people on the road with JKs with racks on the front.

13. InvertedLogic

InvertedLogic Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    19 JLUR
    Liked:
    @paulr what kind of vinyl plotter do you use?

14. OP
    OP
    paulr

paulr Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
    The vinyl cutter is called a Cricut. Pretty inexpensive and hooks up to your computer. I use illustrator to do all my graphics and templates.

15. InvertedLogic

InvertedLogic Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    19 JLUR
    Liked:
    Thanks. I've had my eye on one of those for a while and have wondered how they do compared to the more commercial ones a friend has. Looks like it does a decent job!