Sponsored

Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED)

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Just wanted to share a few customizations I made to my Mopar roof rack, including solving the whistling issue which seems to have hit or miss solutions in other threads.

1) Red decals: I cut some red Jeep decals to fill in the Jeep logos to add a little bit of color and match the accents on Jeep

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0305

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0377

2) Paint protection: I noticed on my JK the roof rack did leave a little bit of marks on the hard top, so to avoid anything I cut some small rectangles of clear bra paint protection film from 3M in order to protect the paint where it grips, this also turns out to make it super easy and fast to put the roof racks back on and off exactly in the correct spot since the film marks the spot basically

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0331 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0332 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0380

3) Security: since these don't lock unfortunately, I decided to at least swap out the bolt inside with a torx security screw bolt, it makes it at least a slightly greater deterrent to get these off, most thieves are unlikely to carry this special torx head around... anyone looking to do the same you'll need M6 screws with about 25 to 30mm in length, I used this kit off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCMVJQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) No more whistling! The whistle is pretty bad on these once you hit 65 mph. In another thread some had mentioned putting tape along the bottom center, some on the sides... people were having mixed success. The key is to put tape on BOTH the bottom middle AND the side parts, shown in areas 1, 2, and 3 in this image below I marked up ... I tried it with just the middle and just the sides and it still whistles, you need to do all parts numbered here to stop the whistle completely

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 5.38.38 PM

Once I figured out what worked, I wanted to come up with a solution that looked nice. Ended up cutting some black matte vinyl decals and stuck them on the bottom. They're basically invisible and this has stopped the whistling noise completely. You can't tell these are on here at all they blend in with the rack. The key is to cover all the groves and exposed areas on the bottom

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0436

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0440

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0437

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0438

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0439

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0441

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_0442

Update: Finally got to give these some good use on a long ski trip, no whistling still and no issues
Update 2: Almost 17 months later these are still good to go, no issues with the vinyl coming off or anything

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED) IMG_1164

EDIT: I CAN CUT THESE FOR YOU IF YOU'D LIKE: Due to tons of requests I cut a handful of these for anyone interested and if I run out I can cut them for you in a couple days usually. Shoot me a PM for a PayPal link if interested.

$40 for the anti-whistle strips on the bottom
$12 for the red Jeep logo inserts
shipping included

EDIT: PRINT YOUR OWN WITH THESE FILES: Due to overwhelming request I have posted the Cricut project files as well as vector files if you are not using a Cricut below. Please note these will most likely require some trial/error and adjustment on the dimensions, but this should get you really close as a starting point.

Vector files: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09444917626491268435
Cricut file: https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e5d3ddb7dd8b4069b19e189
Cricut file: https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e5d3e344c66f206a77638b6
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
3) Security: since these don't lock unfortunately, I decided to at least swap out the bolt inside with a torx security screw bolt, it makes it at least a slightly greater deterrent to get these off, most thieves are unlikely to carry this special torx head around... anyone looking to do the same you'll need M6 screws with about 25 to 30mm in length, I used this kit off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCMVJQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FYI... Another forum member found out that Yakima locks work with this rack.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
FYI... Another forum member found out that Yakima locks work with this rack.
This is great, had no idea! I actually have some Thule lock cores laying around, will give them a shot and if not grab some Yakima ones. Although locking those plastic covers don't do much since it could still be pried off, it definitely helps! At least on my old Thule roof rack, the lock cores disabled the entire mechanism to loosen the rack so it seemed more secure. But anything will help!

Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Am I crazy or are the rails on backwards in this picture? I thought for sure that when they came in they had a sticker on them pointing the other way saying "front of vehicle"
screen-shot-2018-10-31-at-5-38-38-pm-png.png

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Am I crazy or are the rails on backwards in this picture? I thought for sure that when they came in they had a sticker on them pointing the other way saying "front of vehicle"
screen-shot-2018-10-31-at-5-38-38-pm-png.png
didnt even notice! yes they are :facepalm: :cwl: photo is from Extreme Terrain's website haha

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I can confirm that covering the bottom surfaces of the rails will kill the whistle. Just did this to mine with some 3M tape (similar to Gorilla Tape) and it is as quiet as it was without the rack installed. Thanks for sharing the idea!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I love your work and stick-to-itiveness Paul!

May I have a link to said "small rectangles of clear bra paint protection film from 3M?"

Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR

MI_JLUR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks! The film was just this one from amazon, I cut it myself with the same machine used to cut the black vinyl, but you should easily be able to cut some rectangles with an exacto knife and a straight edge https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXOPYQ4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Should you consider doing some side work making those pieces (I appreciate the machine cuts) let me know. I like the DIY projects for my Jeep, but I also like it when the job looks professional. Nice work on those details!

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Should you consider doing some side work making those pieces (I appreciate the machine cuts) let me know. I like the DIY projects for my Jeep, but I also like it when the job looks professional. Nice work on those details!
Shoot me a PM I might be able to cut you a set if I have enough vinyl.

This should work for the gaps on either side of the pillars, cut to fit.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Yakima/8880635.html
Thule has a similar product for theirs which I tried on these racks first and it did not work, it doesn’t cover up enough if the gaps and doesn’t stay in well
Sponsored