Sponsored

Mopar Roof Rack Install - It seemed so simple until ....

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
So I installed the Mopar roof rack P/N 82215387. The install was very easy except that two of the four black plastic "lock plugs" that retain the covers for the rack mounts separated from the diecast cam lock that secures the cover to the mount. I thought that I could just snap the lock plug back into the hole in the mount but the retaining tab on the two lock plugs were deformed and would not retain the lock plug(s) in the cover. They had no retention at all. Without secure retention, the lock plug would just drop out and then the cover could separate and would be lost. These Mopar roof rack covers and lock plugs are not available separately, so I could not take a chance of losing them. What to do?

On another thread on this forum [thanks paulr], it was stated that the Yakima
SKS LOCK CORES would fit the Mopar Roof Rack. The four Yakima lock cores cost $60, but they solved my problem. I no longer have to be concerned with the lock plugs and the covers falling off. As an added bonus, the roof rack and mount covers are now slightly more secure with the addition of the Yakima lock cores than with the supplied plastic Mopar lock plugs which fell out on their own.

See This Link

Mopar roof rack with plastic "lock plugs" where only 2 out of 4 retained:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Install - It seemed so simple until .... rack plu

Mopar roof rack with Yakima lock cores installed:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Install - It seemed so simple until .... rack w core

Thanks to forum member paulr for the above photo and information on the Yakima core locks. This was the perfect solution to the problem of the Mopar lock plugs and cover not retaining. :)
Sponsored

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
That's great to know as I'm considering these. May I ask how much height do they add? Or the distance from the top of the bars to the top of your hard top roof? TIA.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's great to know as I'm considering these. May I ask how much height do they add? Or the distance from the top of the bars to the top of your hard top roof? TIA.
The rack adds 3.75" of height above the hard top.

Last edited:

Hogzilla

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 turbo
Can you take a picture further away I'm in the market for this and would like to see the overall height of this on the top.

Sponsored

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Can you take a picture further away I'm in the market for this and would like to see the overall height of this on the top.
Here is a photo from this forum. The search tool is your friend.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Roof Rack Install - It seemed so simple until .... 20180228_165334

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aware of the search option and was hoping for a better angle but no worries.
Bill, The rack height is 3.75" above the roof. Tell me what angle you are looking for and I can take the photo.

JlRubi18

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon
Great info, wish I would’ve know this 3 years earlier lol I just lost 2 of my caps on a run!

Looking for replacements now...

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
How easy/difficult is it to replace the plastic lock plugs with the metal lock cores?

Sponsored

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How easy/difficult is it to replace the plastic lock plugs with the metal lock cores?
It is very easy. You just remove the plastic plugs from the mount and then install the Yakima SKS LOCK CORES using the key in place of the plastic Mopar cores.

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
It is very easy. You just remove the plastic plugs from the mount and then install the Yakima SKS LOCK CORES using the key in place of the plastic Mopar cores.
One more question: how many locks are there? I would assume two (one each, on one side only)?

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Four (4). Each pylon requires a lock. So two for the front rack and two for the rear rack.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
May I ask how much height do they add? Or the distance from the top of the bars to the top of your hard top roof?
The rack adds 3.75" of height above the hard top.
Sponsored