MOPAR Parts & Pricing Released for JL Wrangler

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Yes, you get full articulation. I'll be posting more Q&A answers in a bit.

Jay, could you check if the Rubicon needs the Tailgate Reinforcement and Oversized Spare Tire Carrier for 35's.

I'm hoping we can save a few hundred bucks here.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jay, could you check if the Rubicon needs the Tailgate Reinforcement and Oversized Spare Tire Carrier for 35's.

Already have. Preparing the answers and will post today.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Hanging a 35 on that tailgate is going to give you problems long term. Invest in a good bumper/tire carrier combo. Your tailgate hinges will thank you.

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Hanging a 35 on that tailgate is going to give you problems long term. Invest in a good bumper/tire carrier combo. Your tailgate hinges will thank you.
The Stock Rubicon comes with 33's so hoping they've already invested in a good bumper/tire carrier to avoid spending the additional +- $1,000 bucks.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The Stock Rubicon comes with 33's so hoping they've already invested in a good bumper/tire carrier to avoid spending the additional +- $1,000 bucks.
Yes but the weight is still on the tailgate. I’m talking about a bumper mounted tire carrier. Think about how many times you open and close that tailgate. It will start to sag after a few years no matter what the Jeep engineers say.

Sponsored

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Yes but the weight is still on the tailgate. I’m talking about a bumper mounted tire carrier. Think about how many times you open and close that tailgate. It will start to sag after a few years no matter what the Jeep engineers say.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I disagree. Even on my JKU I have been running 35s hanging on the teraflex carrier. For close to 3 years now. Not a hint of movement, feel, or anything suggesting a problem. Now my YJ on the other hand needed the bumper mounted carrier. I bet the area taking the force has been dealt with appropriately in the JL.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I disagree. Even on my JKU I have been running 35s hanging on the teraflex carrier. For close to 3 years now. Not a hint of movement, feel, or anything suggesting a problem. Now my YJ on the other hand needed the bumper mounted carrier. I bet the area taking the force has been dealt with appropriately in the JL.
First of all, you’re talking about an aftermarket carrier. Do you honestly think the stock hinges are going to hold up the same as the TeraFlex unit? Second of all 3 years is not that long. Give it Time, it will sag.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
First of all, you’re talking about an aftermarket carrier. Do you honestly think the stock hinges are going to hold up the same as the TeraFlex unit? Second of all 3 years is not that long. Give it Time, it will sag.
Ok

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I wonder if the steel bumpers come prepared for a bumper mounted swing out tire carrier similar to the 10A bumper

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I have the TerraFlex carrier as well with 35s and zero issues.

The Jeep Optional Carrier is a private label version of the Terra Flex carrier under the MOPAR brand. Terra Flex holds the patent on the design.

While I agree with you that a 35 on the stock carrier would not be smart for long term use, adding the MOPAR reenforced carrier is a great option and you dont have to deal with the hassle of a bumper mount swing out carrier, which then adds basically a 2nd door to open.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

The Jeep Optional Carrier is a private label version of the Terra Flex carrier under the MOPAR brand. Terra Flex holds the patent on the design.

While I agree with you that a 35 on the stock carrier would not be smart for long term use, adding the MOPAR reenforced carrier is a great option and you dont have to deal with the hassle of a bumper mount swing out carrier, which then adds basically a 2nd door to open.
Unless you go with poison spyder.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I'll consider throwing the Mopar reinforced carrier on mine. 600 bucks is not easy to swallow, but probably worth it for the peace of mind. I'm thinking of the 315/70/17 Duratracs for my JLUR. They are only 61 pounds. I saw General Grabber X3's are over 75lbs in that size. Ouch! It might just handle the Duratrac with the stock mount.
Sponsored