Sponsored

Mopar Maximum Care Extended Warranty

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I bought a 7 year/Unlimited Mileage Max Care warranty from Tom Hinkles for $2305. It was the best deal I could find and he was great.
What deductible?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
7yr/Unlimited Miles $2405 w/$100 deductible. There are many people/dealerships that will give you a better deal than you're getting.

While the "common sense" approach says that no "insurance" policy is worth it, I've found this policy to be the exception. I have the 8y/125K on my 2013 Ram 3500, and just had the LED turn signals replaced. This was significant, because the turn signals are not available as a separate component, they are only sold as an assembly to the tune of $945 each, plus labor.

My two cents, your mileage may vary.
I herd about the LED lights/Turn signal also. Apparently the Wrangler LEDs have no bulbs either and the entire assembly has to be replaced if it goes out. I think a Wrangler rear tail light assembly is something like $500-$600?

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I get people's desire to have maintenance insurance for the peace of mind it offers, even if, as a rational financial exercise, void of emotion, such profit intended insurance does not financial add up.

Lack of peace of mind comes at a cost to some that is greater than the cost of the insurance. But I'm going to suggest that if your lack of peace of mind is that high, that your angst isn't justified on a spreadsheet.

I even get the greater peace of mind it offers in a relatively newly released rig like the JL, whose maintenance history over the long term is more unknown and therefore somewhat riskier than a more seasoned model vehicle.

And still more, in a corporate setting, where a project going over budget could be a CLM (career limiting move), capping costs may be more important than saving the $ from not "getting the insurance."

But that said, by virtue of the fact that public insurance is a money making enterprise, if you take the money you would have spent on a policy and invest it, where it's statistically more likely to earn interest on your books, rather than that of the insurance provider, and use those funds to pay for maintenance needs when/should they arise, in the large sample outcome you will come out ahead.

Sure: we're all a sample of size 1. Our personal experiences may differ from what the statistics (which is what we should go by) say, but let me make an analogy, even if an inconvenient truth.

Some policies are clearly better deals than others: no doubt. Differing costs and coverage do matter.

But the best policy offers a "hamburger for $9.00 that you can make yourself for $2.00."

Again, I urge you to have insurance for the potentially catastrophic events in term life like death itself (if you're a bread winner,) disability, medical, homeowner's (including umbrella coverage), and even collision (with $1K deductible) on a fully paid auto (usually mandated until you have title.) Certainly vehicular liability is not only included in that list, but legally mandated.

And certain government run insurances that aren't for profit, like flood, may be worth it too.

By no means am I anti-insurance. Rather, I'm pro-insurance for the right things.

"But hey, I'm really strapped after buying my rig, and need to cap potential maintenance costs."

I hear that. The painful answer nobody wants to hear is that maybe the rig was out of financial reach, at least at the time the purchase was made.

PDSTM: please don't shoot the messenger. I only relay what sound financial advisors would agree with.

Peace.

OP
OP
2020wranglerjl
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
After reading the replies to my posting, I canceled the Mopar Extended Warranty that I got from the dealership when I purchased the Rubicon. I am getting a full refund, since it is less than 60 days. They said it would take 30 - 45 days to get the money back.

I can order it again at a much cheaper cost. I plan to keep the Rubicon for at least 8 years. Since the JL is relatively new, there is not much data on how long things will last.

I will take some time to evaluate what people have posted on this thread and then decide if I want the warranty.

If anyone has put enough miles on their JL Wrangler to have things break outside of the warranty, please let me know what broke an how expensive it was to fix.

I was very surprised to see an LED tail light was almost $1000. I wonder how many other expensive surprises exist.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I’m curious to see whether anyone has had a negative experience with GEICO’s mechanical breakdown insurance. It gets brought up in these threads (this time by me). It costs between $50-$100 per year.

Is there a reason why people are choosing the multi-thousand dollar option (up front to boot) over the one that will add up to well less than $1000 over seven years and is pay-as-you-go? I know that people go in saying they’re going to keep their Jeep forever, but...

Just curious if people haven’t vetted GEICO MBI, or is it based on some policy restriction? Is the $250 deductible that is troubling or are they known for denying claims?

Not to mention the financial security of Berkshire Hathaway versus FCA. When you pay upfront for insurance you are relying on them to be around til the end. Unlikely, but it happens. [keep your eye on Nissan]

Having said all that, I still self-insure

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
After reading the replies to my posting, I canceled the Mopar Extended Warranty that I got from the dealership when I purchased the Rubicon. I am getting a full refund, since it is less than 60 days. They said it would take 30 - 45 days to get the money back.

I can order it again at a much cheaper cost. I plan to keep the Rubicon for at least 8 years. Since the JL is relatively new, there is not much data on how long things will last.

I will take some time to evaluate what people have posted on this thread and then decide if I want the warranty.

If anyone has put enough miles on their JL Wrangler to have things break outside of the warranty, please let me know what broke an how expensive it was to fix.

I was very surprised to see an LED tail light was almost $1000. I wonder how many other expensive surprises exist.
Average halogen headlight bulb life is 450 to 1,000 hours. Average life of an LED is 50,000 hours.

A halogen bulb is 20.36 at All Mopart Parts. This is 20.36 to 40.24 $/1000 hours of light.
An LED assembly at $1,000. This is 50 $/1000 hours of light.

Not a very big difference. Add in your time or the labor to change the halogen bulb 50-100 times more than the LED assembly and the additional value afforded by the better performance of LED over halogen and the LED is actually cheaper.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Warranties are for suckers. There's a reason they make money hand over fist on these.

Reactions: GtX

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Warranties are for suckers. There's a reason they make money hand over fist on these.
Yep...at least until you have a major repair that costs double the cost of the warranty and based upon the issues I had read since becoming a member, it seems to happen with some regularity. For me, an unlimited mileage 7 year warranty is worth $329 per year.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Yep...at least until you have a major repair that costs double the cost of the warranty and based upon the issues I had read since becoming a member, it seems to happen with some regularity. For me, an unlimited mileage 7 year warranty is worth $329 per year.
You already have a 3 year, so that 7 year, is really a 4 year extension with a $100 deductible per covered repair.
It doesn't cost you $329 per year because you pay for it long before you can use it. It is actually costing you much more.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You already have a 3 year, so that 7 year, is really a 4 year extension with a $100 deductible per covered repair.
It doesn't cost you $329 per year because you pay for it long before you can use it. It is actually costing you much more.
No. you don't. You have a 3 years/36,000 mile warranty which for most people lasts a little over 2 years. I am not sure how your math works, but $2305/7 is $329 a year average--what is causing it to "cost you much more"?. To each his or her own, but I would rather have 7 full years (irrespective of the mileage) coverage. All it takes is one major repair and you will wish that you had an extended warranty.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
I have had my JLUR for 23 months. The dealership had it for over 2 months, close to 3. I have 48k miles on it now. I bought the lifetime unlimited the first go round, and will buy the 7/unlimited for the next one. I just drive way too much and like the peace of mind.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I get it.

Many an owner with a bad maintenance experience is glad the purchased the warranty or wish they had.

And many a prospective insurance purchaser reads stories on the forum about significant repair issues, and as a result comes to believe that their "personal cost in worry" associated with fear of maintenance blues outweighs that of the policy premium even if the numbers don't support that decision.

But the people expressing themselves on forums are often the outliers: those who love the rig and those disenfranchised by the (repairs associated with the) ownership experience. As a result, such anecdotal evidence may not be the stuff that it's wise to make smart financial decisions upon.

Just sayin'. :)

I appreciate that numbers aside, we're all human, make occasional decisions (in part) on emotion, and value things differently.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get it.

Many an owner with a bad maintenance experience is glad the purchased the warranty or wish they had.

And many a prospective insurance purchaser reads stories on the forum about significant repair issues, and as a result comes to believe that their "personal cost in worry" associated with fear of maintenance blues outweighs that of the policy premium even if the numbers don't support that decision.

But the people expressing themselves on forums are often the outliers: those who love the rig and those disenfranchised by the (repairs associated with the) ownership experience. As a result, such anecdotal evidence may not be the stuff that it's wise to make smart financial decisions upon.

Just sayin'. :)

I appreciate that numbers aside, we're all human, make occasional decisions (in part) on emotion, and value things differently.
I do not disagree and it is inline with pissing off $10 a day on Starbucks or cigarettes or $1 per day on an extended warranty...in the end it is all how you want to play or pay.

Last edited:

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
As mentioned above, Geico MBI is reportedly better than an extended warranty. https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/
I plan to start coverage when my Wrangler is 1 y/o.
I had an extended warranty on my last car and had to fight with them for all but the most simple repairs. And their list of exclusions is long.
Sponsored