Sponsored

Mopar logo cab cover vs Rain Gear trail cover?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
My DIY isn't ready for post yet but I'll briefly describe it in narrative form.

A long pipe sits in the cargo area with a manual crank on it. The contraption this pipe is connected to itself hooks on to the 4 "U" clips on the cargo floor such that it can slide out of (with the back door open) or into the cargo area and lock its depth in place. If you've got the trail rail management system--all the better.

Around the long pipe, in my failed version 1.0 was folded 6 mil plastic sheeting--like a window shade. As you took if off the roller it would unfold and had plastic welded neodymium magnets (i.e. strong "rare earth" magnets)--think shower curtain with magnets-- in it that would attach to the rear quarter panels (metallic) and metal below where the aluminum (non-metallic) doors (presumable removed by the owner) reside.

Near the windshield (presumed NOT to be lowered, just rear windows/top, and doors off), strong suction cups with hooks, attached to grommets in the fabric would themselves attach to the outer sides of the windshield.

The problem is that big box door plastic sheeting is translucent but not clear, and there's no way to drive with this cover on and have any visibility but facing forward.

So I'm off to trying clear vinyl: which will run in in materials cost at around $125--more expensive. I wonder how much someone would be willing to pay in parts and time to copy this design. My test showed the fabric for an Unlimited, under this design, can't be less than 16' X 16'. This means I'll have to 3 welds to connect 4 vinyl sheets (they only come so wide) with an iron and parchment paper across (16'x 3) 48' .

Unlike other covers, I would rate it for slow travel during storms, not just protection from them.

When the skies clear, you fold the plastic over itself and roll it back up with the crank.

Be honest. Is this discover build even worth doing?

I won't sell/license/patent it. Too little demand meets too high liability for making it driving rated. :)
Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Anyone hear anything from RAIN GEAR of when they will have 2dr covers back in stock?
Looks like you can order the 2dr version (without light bar) on their website now. The light bar version is still out of stock.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like you can order the 2dr version (without light bar) on their website now. The light bar version is still out of stock.
I saw that, they were supposed to call me when they got material & make my order priority but never did.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think a grommet kit would work. I watched the video on Quadratech and they actually give a grommet that you can install yourself for the antenna. When you put the cover on you have to take the antenna off (unless of course you have a stubby). The give you a grommet you can self install so you can poke the antenna through and avoid taking it off. They even show installing the grommet in the video. Also, this one comes with a lock and cable. You can see in the pictures above that there is a grommet in the side. Not sure if there a re two grommets, one in each side and if the cable runs all the way underneath to the other side. If it does, I suppose that would hold the cover down. I'm probably going to buy the Quadratech one in about 5 mins. I wanted the Rain Gear, but the only make the model that fits no roof what so ever. I'll be in safari mode, so I need the full coverage. But $110 & free shipping from quadratech aint bad. 5 layers! lol
Did it have a grommet on both sides?

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
It looks like the Mopar 82215370 Will barely fit over a soft top that is folded down. Does anyone know if the Smittybilt 1071 will also? I can see myself using the cover with and without the soft top but would rather not have to remove the door frames and soft top to use. The SB 1071 is on sale currently so leaning that direction if anyone knows if it will somewhat fit. Thanks.

Sponsored

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
The bikini top rolls up nicely for the top and add a windjammer to protect the cab (add a tonneau to keep the bed dry-ish). Fashion "side panels" from a roll (or two,three) of ripstop nylon with grommets and ranger bands / bungees. If not handy with a sewing machine, tarps could be used in place of the nylon. Should hold up as a dry shelter...

Sidenote: The Rampage is made of thinner material and less costly than the Bestop bikini top ($50 vs $120, Bestop doesn't include the windshield channel). But both roll into about the same size because of the windshield attachment. Rampage would probably win in terms of a quick setup... less screws to secure the windshield channel. But the Bestop uses snaps to secure the rest of the bikini so it could be a wash.

Looking forward to the nicer weather ahead.

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
I will be planning on removing my JLU hard-top for various trips this summer and hope to keep the top off for a week at a time. Without a garage option to cover the Jeep, I'm looking for something that I can use in a rain emergency, but also use to cover the car overnight or during a rainy day.

Will either of these covers work, or do I need something less 'emergency' focused?

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I will be planning on removing my JLU hard-top for various trips this summer and hope to keep the top off for a week at a time. Without a garage option to cover the Jeep, I'm looking for something that I can use in a rain emergency, but also use to cover the car overnight or during a rainy day.

Will either of these covers work, or do I need something less 'emergency' focused?
The raingear will work. Look at the trail cover its for no soft top and half cover works if you have softop and leave in safari mode back windows out.
Sponsored