Sponsored

Mopar logo cab cover vs Rain Gear trail cover?

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
That’s the exact question I’ve been trying to find out. I think they have a 30 day return policy.
Yes I ended up ordering it and I will let you know the fit. The challenge is trusting it in a storm. Most likely you will only want to use it in an emergency so not sure how to do some heavy “rain” testing.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes I ended up ordering it and I will let you know the fit. The challenge is trusting it in a storm. Most likely you will only want to use it in an emergency so not sure how to do some heavy “rain” testing.
I think test #1 would be to see if it fits over the soft top when the soft top is in the down position and test #2 if it fits over the soft top when it is in the safari position (up but without side and back window). Then test #3, take a garden hose and spray it up so the water falls more naturally. I don't expect it to keep it 100% dry, the goal is to prevent water from getting on carpeted areas (mold prevention) and electronics.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I used the Mopar cover when it started raining and I had the doors off. There was no wind, so the rain was straight down. No rain got in the cab and a little puddled around the edges of the Backbone, but the back stayed dry.

rain cover.jpg

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Do you think this will work in a rain storm with the doors and windows off but the softop up in safari mode?
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/softbond-5-layer-car-cover-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-door

I am looking for an emergency cover that I can put on if it starts raining at work and I don't have the doors and windows on.
I do.

I don't get the idea that it's the "protect all summer uninterrupted the ole' topless Jeep from the elements," but the occasional one that works well with your described above needs.

: - )

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I used the Mopar cover when it started raining and I had the doors off. There was no wind, so the rain was straight down. No rain got in the cab and a little puddled around the edges of the Backbone, but the back stayed dry.

rain cover.jpg
There isn't enough slack in the back to cover the entire back section?

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
There isn't enough slack in the back to cover the entire back section?
That's as far as it goes, it's not designed to go over a raised soft top. It covers pretty good with the top down, but then you have to prop the cover up to remove the slack. Otherwise water will pool on top of the cover.

cover propped.jpg

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I wonder if it will cover a JLU with the hardtop roof off and XG Cargo Gama bags installed?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I wonder if it will cover a JLU with the hardtop roof off and XG Cargo Gama bags installed?
When I get around to making mine (I'm waiting on supplies and time) I hope it to be made of clear plastic (to permit reasonable speed driving) but able to sit above anything an off roader might have above a roof, even if not attached to it (e.g. a Gobi rack and its supplies.)

Here are my supplies to do this so far:

A really big piece of 6 mil clear plastic:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-20-ft-x-100-ft-Clear-6-mil-Plastic-Sheeting-CFHD0620C/204711640

Neodymium magnets that I hope to plastic weld into the fabric:

https://www.google.com/search?q=3/4...AUIESgC&biw=1024&bih=623#imgrc=kf-vBtJ8fASRgM:

Strong suction cup/hooks:

https://www.google.com/search?q=str...AUIESgC&biw=1024&bih=623#imgrc=aZTz5sS8Y0I8jM:

I'll make a shade roller type of device to hold the cover in the cargo area when not in use, with architectural plumbing hardware like this:

http://www.steel-tek.com/products/

If it works I'll publish here what I did.

If you want to take it on before me. Envision the following.
  • The tarp is long enough for probably a Gladiator with a (yet to be marketed) high roof rack, let alone a JLU or JL with one, to make it to the top of the windshield: my proposed stopping point of the tarp.
  • The tarp is wide enough at purchase to come down to an area below the side doors, that unlike them (aluminum and stored in the garage anyway) is magnetic (I tested.) After cutting the tarp's width down to size, I'll embed magnets where the sides of the tarp contact this below the side doors area: just like a shower curtain with magnets nearest the tub's floor. I'll probably clothes iron a crease into the plastic where it's top transitions to its sides, as the tarp needs to be folded back up when stored on the "roller" in the cargo area.
  • I'll probably embed some magnets in the tarp near the end of its drawn length, closest to the roller, to be able to attach it to the cargo door/tailgate (wait is this aluminum too?) to bridge the few inches from the back of the roller to the cargo door to keep it dry. If necessary, if I can't find something magnetic to attach to, I'll use the suction cups I plan on using to keep the tarp attached to the windshield sides (sorry windshield lowerers, that's version 2), grommeting the tarp to accept the hooks.
  • The top of the tarp is pulled to the top of the windshield, which is magnetic, where the magnets an be used again like below the side doors.

Does that make any sense?

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara

Sponsored

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Here are some photos of the Quadratec Softbond 5-Layer Car Cover for 18-19 Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door. I had the doors off, softop in safari mode with all three windows off. There are no tie downs so not sure if it will sustain heavy winds. The elastic makes it super easy to put on and take off. The material itself feels like a regular car cover so I'm not sure if it can actually hold off heavy rain. It will be interesting to see the difference in material between this and the coveted Rain Gear cover.

Cover Back.png
Cover Front.png
Cover Side.png

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here are some photos of the Quadratec Softbond 5-Layer Car Cover for 18-19 Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door. I had the doors off, softop in safari mode with all three windows off. There are no tie downs so not sure if it will sustain heavy winds. The elastic makes it super easy to put on and take off. The material itself feels like a regular car cover so I'm not sure if it can actually hold off heavy rain. It will be interesting to see the difference in material between this and the coveted Rain Gear cover.

Cover Back.png
Cover Front.png
Cover Side.png
Thanks for the pictures. Does it also cover correctly when the soft top is in the down position? That's too bad it doesn't have any tie downs. Do you think the grommet kit from Harbor Freight for $9 would work on that type of material? That way you could add tie downs to it and bungie it to the Jeep's bumpers, side steps, etc. I see the one grommet on the side, assuming there is another one, you could bungie at least those two grommets, right?

Blonson

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JL WRANGLER
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pictures. Does it also cover correctly when the soft top is in the down position? That's too bad it doesn't have any tie downs. Do you think the grommet kit from Harbor Freight for $9 would work on that type of material? That way you could add tie downs to it and bungie it to the Jeep's bumpers, side steps, etc. I see the one grommet on the side, assuming there is another one, you could bungie at least those two grommets, right?
I think a grommet kit would work. I watched the video on Quadratech and they actually give a grommet that you can install yourself for the antenna. When you put the cover on you have to take the antenna off (unless of course you have a stubby). The give you a grommet you can self install so you can poke the antenna through and avoid taking it off. They even show installing the grommet in the video. Also, this one comes with a lock and cable. You can see in the pictures above that there is a grommet in the side. Not sure if there a re two grommets, one in each side and if the cable runs all the way underneath to the other side. If it does, I suppose that would hold the cover down. I'm probably going to buy the Quadratech one in about 5 mins. I wanted the Rain Gear, but the only make the model that fits no roof what so ever. I'll be in safari mode, so I need the full coverage. But $110 & free shipping from quadratech aint bad. 5 layers! lol

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone hear anything from RAIN GEAR of when they will have 2dr covers back in stock?

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone confirm the the Rain Gear fits a JLU with the top down? I see some pictures where it doesn't look completely sealed in the back.
Sponsored