Sponsored

Mopar logo cab cover vs Rain Gear trail cover?

Rubyjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-door
I see you have a soft top. Did you get your rain gear cover yet? Can you confirm if it fits with the soft top on?
Does not fit well with the soft top lowered, will be returning mine. Anyone have any ideas, my next thought is modifying the mopar jk 4-door cover. i really only want the true cab cover anyway (I'm using mine to prevent pollen/dust). Thanks!
Sponsored

cvmke

First Name
Craig Vuoso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I have a rain gear cover off my JKU and I used it all last summer on my JLU with no issues. Soft top installed and down, the rain gear is made to fit right over it (although I do think they made a different version for the JKU's that would not work with the soft top on). The only thing I'll say is that after using it daily all summer, I did notice some wear on the paint around the windshield. These covers are really meant for occasional use and I have no concern that it would damage the paint if it was used that way. I was going to see if I could attach some felt or something similar to the inside to soften up the portion that comes in contact with the paint heading into warmer weather up here. The cover is 3 years old and as good as new.

jhmenzel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2.0L Turbo, Ford Explorer, Can AM Spyder
Occupation
Process Engineer
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
Does not fit well with the soft top lowered, will be returning mine. Anyone have any ideas, my next thought is modifying the mopar jk 4-door cover. i really only want the true cab cover anyway (I'm using mine to prevent pollen/dust). Thanks!
I had the same issue. The trail cover did not fit well on my JL with the top down but still on the Jeep. I returned mine as well, and am looking for any alternative as summer is almost here.
Trail Cover Photo.jpg

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Bump - anyone have any updates or alternatives? Would like to keep my soft top on (not up) but have a cover if it rains. 4dr here. Sounds like trail a) doesn’t fit over folded down soft top and b) rain covers company is not responsive to anything.

Any insights or updates appreciated!

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Bump - anyone have any updates or alternatives? Would like to keep my soft top on (not up) but have a cover if it rains. 4dr here. Sounds like trail a) doesn’t fit over folded down soft top and b) rain covers company is not responsive to anything.

I don't think any manufacturer would see value in producing a cover that works over the folded down soft top. Because that's exactly why the soft top is foldable. Now if the doors are off, that's a different story. I believe Bestop has soft doors.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Maybe someone can educate me on the needs of the market segment.

If I may: I can clearly (sorry) see need for products like the above posted as emergency tops for the owner who has, say, removed their top for the summer, has their JL sitting in a driveway, and it's raining.

But you can't drive with it, correct?. Which means these covers aren't too useful if you start getting rain with your open air JL while away from home, and not only want to protect the interior, but be able to drive home, correct?
Scenario 1 - Have hard top only. Removed hard top. Starts to rain while 45 minutes away from home. Pull over, put rain cover on. Wait for rain to stop.

Scenario 2 - Have soft top installed, down position, doors off. Starts to rain, pull over, put soft top on safari mode because don't have the side windows in the Jeep, put rain cover on. Wait for rain to stop.

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport

I believe with the 4 door the Trail Cover from Raingear will work. The main issue with the the 2 doors seem to me to be that the folding mechanism and support rods are outboard of the rollbar vs being inboard on the 4dr. Also on the 4dr you can release the the rods and fold the top down flatter. With the top folded down you have a slimmer and lower profile than you do on the 2dr.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Scenario 1 - Have hard top only. Removed hard top. Starts to rain while 45 minutes away from home. Pull over, put rain cover on. Wait for rain to stop.

Scenario 2 - Have soft top installed, down position, doors off. Starts to rain, pull over, put soft top on safari mode because don't have the side windows in the Jeep, put rain cover on. Wait for rain to stop.
Thank you for your use insight @californiajeeping.

I am designing a rain cover. It's more a challenge than something I'll personally use, that if successful I'll post as a DIY.

Envision a window shade paradigm. This "shade" sits in the cargo tub, centered around tailgate door height. It's made of thick mil translucent plastic from the Orange store, long and wide enough to cover an Unlimited, let alone two door.

..So it starts to rain. You pull much of this cover, Unlimited or 2 door (but not all, it's attached to the "shade rod") out behind the JL. Then you unfold side wings and drag the cover over the Wrangler. At adheres with neodymium magnets to the top of the windshield and below the non metallic aluminum doors were said magnets are likely plastic welded into the cover like a shower curtain might have.

It does not go beyond the windshield. Exactly how it adheres in front on the sides I'm not quite sure. At first I thought to wrap it around the side view mirrors. That idea quickly got nixed as "last time I checked" said mirror are attached to the presumptively left at home doors.

The intention is to be able to ride in the rain, even if speed can't be maxed out. The cover's translucence will allow you to see objects before you, say, change lanes (move sideways), if not make out license plates at your "3" and "9." Users: note back up camera turned on feature to serve as glorified rear view mirror need be...even if camera's only on for about 8 seconds (forever with the JL Tazer I hear.)

When the rain stops you put the cover behind you, fold the wings and roll back.

Why hasn't someone done this: a drivable cover? I presume product liability law suits stand in the way.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a rain gear cover off my JKU and I used it all last summer on my JLU with no issues. Soft top installed and down, the rain gear is made to fit right over it (although I do think they made a different version for the JKU's that would not work with the soft top on). The only thing I'll say is that after using it daily all summer, I did notice some wear on the paint around the windshield. These covers are really meant for occasional use and I have no concern that it would damage the paint if it was used that way. I was going to see if I could attach some felt or something similar to the inside to soften up the portion that comes in contact with the paint heading into warmer weather up here. The cover is 3 years old and as good as new.
Just what I was hoping to hear. I also have a RainGear Trail Cover from my JKU that I was hoping would fit on my JLU. I haven't had an opportunity to remove the hard top from the JLUR yet to try it out. Good to know though.
Bummer about it wearing the paint on the windshield frame; first I've read about something like that. I've had the trail cover for about 3 years as well and only used it a handful of times on the JKUR.

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't think any manufacturer would see value in producing a cover that works over the folded down soft top. Because that's exactly why the soft top is foldable. Now if the doors are off, that's a different story. I believe Bestop has soft doors.

Yes - I should have specified. Doors are off. If they were on I’d just fold the top up and attach windows

Sponsored

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So it sounds like I can get the JKU cover and it will cover the doors and for over the folded down soft top. Not sure why they made a JLU version then - lol.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
Thank you for your use insight @californiajeeping.

I am designing a rain cover. It's more a challenge than something I'll personally use, that if successful I'll post as a DIY.

Envision a window shade paradigm. This "shade" sits in the cargo tub, centered around tailgate door height. It's made of thick mil translucent plastic from the Orange store, long and wide enough to cover an Unlimited, let alone two door.

..So it starts to rain. You pull much of this cover, Unlimited or 2 door (but not all, it's attached to the "shade rod") out behind the JL. Then you unfold side wings and drag the cover over the Wrangler. At adheres with neodymium magnets to the top of the windshield and below the non metallic aluminum doors were said magnets are likely plastic welded into the cover like a shower curtain might have.

It does not go beyond the windshield. Exactly how it adheres in front on the sides I'm not quite sure. At first I thought to wrap it around the side view mirrors. That idea quickly got nixed as "last time I checked" said mirror are attached to the presumptively left at home doors.

The intention is to be able to ride in the rain, even if speed can't be maxed out. The cover's translucence will allow you to see objects before you, say, change lanes (move sideways), if not make out license plates at your "3" and "9." Users: note back up camera turned on feature to serve as glorified rear view mirror need be...even if camera's only on for about 8 seconds (forever with the JL Tazer I hear.)

When the rain stops you put the cover behind you, fold the wings and roll back.

Why hasn't someone done this: a drivable cover? I presume product liability law suits stand in the way.
And we're not talking highway speeds here. Trail speeds just enough to get back to camp.

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR