Mopar Lift, Steps, & the Happy Wife

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
We are still waiting for the Diesel but stopped by a Jeep dealership up here to look at an Ocean Blue Wrangler in the sunlight. They had a Punk'n in the showroom with the Mopar lift and 35 x 12.5's. Here's my problem. My wife, and this Wrangler will be her daily driver, is concerned about the height and getting in and out. I can't blame her. The stance was awesome but it is quite high.

We will likely go to aftermarket rock rails but I was wondering of anyone is satisfied with a rock rail they put on that had some type of step down the would make this lifted Wrangler on 35's not the equivalent of a 24" box jump at CrossFit every time my wife gets in and out.

Serious Question!!

Thanks
Jim
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Clipper216

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
We are still waiting for the Diesel but stopped by a Jeep dealership up here to look at an Ocean Blue Wrangler in the sunlight. They had a Punk'n in the showroom with the Mopar lift and 35 x 12.5's. Here's my problem. My wife, and this Wrangler will be her daily driver, is concerned about the height and getting in and out. I can't blame her. The stance was awesome but it is quite high.

We will likely go to aftermarket rock rails but I was wondering of anyone is satisfied with a rock rail they put on that had some type of step down the would make this lifted Wrangler on 35's not the equivalent of a 24" box jump at CrossFit every time my wife gets in and out.

Serious Question!!

Thanks
Jim
My wife is 5'2'' and has mastered getting in and out of our '19 Mopar JLUR with Mopar lift and 35s (ToyoRTs). I have also installed the DV8 rail/step combo that is quite high compared to other steps out there. She works from home but drives the Jeep daily and has mastered getting in out without issue. I will note that we too stopped by a dealership prior to buying and had her get in out of a Mopar lifted JLUR which at first caused concern. Us humans seem to adapt quickly : )

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I installed AMP retractable steps on my truck 4 years ago and they have been great for my wife. But they are not rock sliders.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
The Mopar performance rock rails (
82215165AB) work well for my 11y/o daughter. Just throwing it out there.

Sponsored

Nickmimi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON diesel - Sarge
I installed the westin step/rock rails and my wife has had no problem getting in she is 5 foot tall

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks folks!! We live in Alaska and the automatic steps like the Rock Slide Engeneering step mentioned gives me concern about it's function in very snowy cold conditions. Think of the road glaciers that build up behind the front wheel for those of you that live in the snow belt. Anyone have them that can give a review on snow and ice effects?

Thanks
Jim & Joyce

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
We have N-fab step rails. Black, aluminum never rust. Happy wife.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks folks!! We live in Alaska and the automatic steps like the Rock Slide Engeneering step mentioned gives me concern about it's function in very snowy cold conditions. Think of the road glaciers that build up behind the front wheel for those of you that live in the snow belt. Anyone have them that can give a review on snow and ice effects?

Thanks
Jim & Joyce
Your concerns about winter ice are warranted. Just the other day the my RSE passenger step had a layer of ice that wasn't coming off for nothing and would not let the step lower. I hit the ice a couple times with the scraper and it was a no go. Drivers side was ok since the sun shined on that side during the day. The next day I parked so the passenger side received the days sun and by time I left work the ice was melted and steps were back to functioning properly. I wasn't necessarily needing the passenger side or I would of took other measures but it is something that can happen.

You could still use the RSE sliders as a step even if the regular step did not lower but just no where near as convenient.

Here are a few other brands that you might want to take a look at: ROAM, LOD, N-FAB

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your concerns about winter ice are warranted. Just the other day the my RSE passenger step had a layer of ice that wasn't coming off for nothing and would not let the step lower. I hit the ice a couple times with the scraper and it was a no go. Drivers side was ok since the sun shined on that side during the day. The next day I parked so the passenger side received the days sun and by time I left work the ice was melted and steps were back to functioning properly. I wasn't necessarily needing the passenger side or I would of took other measures but it is something that can happen.

You could still use the RSE sliders as a step even if the regular step did not lower but just no where near as convenient.

Here are a few other brands that you might want to take a look at: ROAM, LOD, N-FAB

Thank you!! I have checked out the integrated rock rail/step replacement available such as LOD online. I like the more formable appearance compared to the RSE but I have to admit I like that the RSE drops 12 inches. The ice up issue would likely be a transient problem because we have a heated garage but I thought I would ask. Thank you for your experience.

Jim

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Don’t forget too that the mopar lift nets most people 3-4 inches.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
We have N-fab step rails. Black, aluminum never rust. Happy wife.
Another Jeeper asked for more pictures of our Nfab step rails, here ya go. After one Ohio winter. No chips no peeling.

20190416_162602.jpg

20190416_162618.jpg

20190416_162652.jpg

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Damn... you live where it’s cold. Sorry OP I’ve only lived in Florida, Georgia, Hawaii and Texas so I have no experience with cold weather. My wife’s 4R has the automatic retractable steps and she loves them but I have no idea how they’d hold up in the Real North.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm only 5'3" and I have a stock JL. I personally wouldn't want it any higher. When you have lower back and hip problems, climbing into a vehicle is a PITA. Keep your wife happy! :like: That's why my husband has the JK and I have the JL:rock:

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn... you live where it’s cold. Sorry OP I’ve only lived in Florida, Georgia, Hawaii and Texas so I have no experience with cold weather. My wife’s 4R has the automatic retractable steps and she loves them but I have no idea how they’d hold up in the Real North.

I'll share a secret with you if you keep it quiet. It's colder in many lower 48 States in the winter. But don't tell anybody. We have enough people already. :LOL:
Sponsored